National Forest in Va

mikie2084

I have been trying to see if it was allowed in my closest National forest areas, well I found out tonight!

Metal Detecting on the National Forest

Metal detection is generally permitted on national forest. Collection of any archeological or historical object is illegal. Digging, disturbing, or otherwise altering the ground is prohibited.

The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests has an active archeological volunteer program called Passport in Time. To learn more about this fascinating program click here.

Regulations in 36 CFR 261 prohibit "damaging any natural feature or other property of the United States" as well as "removing any natural feature or other property of the United States" and "Digging in, excavating, disturbing, injuring, destroying, or in any way damaging any prehistoric , historic, or archeological resource, structure, site, artifact, or property" or "Removing any prehistoric historic, or archeological resource, structure, site, artifact, or property." Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine or imprisonment.

Section 296.4 of the 36 CFR lists the acts that are prohibited under the Archeological Resource Protection Act.

Contact the US Forest Service office closest to you for clarification or more information if needed.

This is what I figured but was trying to tell myself just maybe it was allowed.

Yep, I had a post about it around a month ago in here, tho it got buried in the archives! :lol::lol: Got the same info you got. Just notify the local district ranger and tell him the areas you plan to hunt. If he knows of a problem he will tell you not to hunt certain spots.

I plan on going over and hunting a few of the older campground areas this winter when the grounds are closed cause too cool for campers.:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom