Railroad baggage tag help

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Pretty sure this is a Railroad baggage tag, but I can't find much on google about the initials stamped on it.

From what I can tell, I think it says:
O.R. & C.R.R.
LOCAL

Guessing the CRR is Chatanooga Rail Road or something like that. No idea on the O.R.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Attachments

• RRTAG.jpg
    RRTAG.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 178
Awesome find, Rattlehead! I love that tag! Is that a star I see embossed on the bottom of the tag underneath “Local”? It’s hard to tell for sure in the picture, but is it possible that the first letter is a “C”? If so, then I think you’ve got yourself a Chattanooga, Rome & Columbus Railroad baggage tag, only operated as such between 1887 and 1897! Fantastic!

Here’s a Wikipedia on the CR&CRR: Chattanooga, Rome, and Columbus Railroad

It’s tracks eventually became part of the Central of Georgia railroad, which is now a part of Norfolk Southern: Central of Georgia Railway Wiki

I have a good reference book on Confederate railroads and I cannot find that one in there. So post civil war would be likely.

Part of a July 1888 article, Chattanooga Daily Times.

Attachments

• Chattanooga_Daily_Times_Sun__Jul_1__1888_.jpg
    Chattanooga_Daily_Times_Sun__Jul_1__1888_.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 137
Awesome find, Rattlehead! I love that tag! Is that a star I see embossed on the bottom of the tag underneath “Local”? It’s hard to tell for sure in the picture, but is it possible that the first letter is a “C”? If so, then I think you’ve got yourself a Chattanooga, Rome & Columbus Railroad baggage tag, only operated as such between 1887 and 1897! Fantastic!

Here’s a Wikipedia on the CR&CRR: Chattanooga, Rome, and Columbus Railroad

It’s tracks eventually became part of the Central of Georgia railroad, which is now a part of Norfolk Southern: Central of Georgia Railway Wiki
Hah! I think you're right! I believe it is a C! My old eyes ain't what they used to be. :lol: Makes sense too, since it was found in the Rome area. Nice job with the ID man! Thanks for the info! :cheers:

As for the star, I'll take a closer look when I get home but I think its just a dirt booger.

I have a good reference book on Confederate railroads and I cannot find that one in there. So post civil war would be likely.

Thanks man! :cheers:

Part of a July 1888 article, Chattanooga Daily Times.

Very cool. Thanks for posting that!

Back
Top Bottom