Lesche Sampson breaking - Trying Predator Little Eagle

Splix76

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZWEKI0

I purchased a Lesche Sampson Pro-Series Shovel with T-Handle in June of 2019. I was disappointed when it bent in the second month of use. I never put what I consider to be undue force on the shovel, especially considering it's high price tag and claims of toughness.

To be fair, soil in Utah is much harder than in many other areas, however this was still a disappointing purchase for me. The shovel has bent on me a few more times, each time I bend it back into place, however there are now stress fractures in the connecting metals and I don't trust this shovel anymore, it'll soon leave me out detecting with just my small hand shovel.

I ordered a Predator Little Eagle today and hope it'll be better. The welds and construction of the blade to the handle look to be much better than that of the Sampson, and I can't wait to have this one at my side. In looking at the welds it should hold up far better.

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-58-s-little-eagle

Here are the two blade to handle welds to highlight the difference in build quality.
sampson.jpg
little_eagle.jpg

I'll post a reply after I have the shovel in hand and have had it out a few times here. After getting less than a year from my Lesche, it's not a brand I will chose to keep at my side.

If I hadn’t added a gusset to the back of my Sampson I would’ve bent it over by now after 4 years. With the gusset I can pry out half frozen solid dirt/ice plugs that are 5-6” in length. That’s about all the abuse it’ll take though. Let us know how the predator works out. Just remember that they all have their limit!

Grave Digger tools also has some very rugged shovels. Been using a Nemesis for a couple of years. Zero issues.

If I hadn’t added a gusset to the back of my Sampson I would’ve bent it over by now after 4 years. With the gusset I can pry out half frozen solid dirt/ice plugs that are 5-6” in length. That’s about all the abuse it’ll take though. Let us know how the predator works out. Just remember that they all have their limit!

I think this is what I will do with my sampson, is weld in some added pieces to help it stay in service.

I think this is what I will do with my sampson, is weld in some added pieces to help it stay in service.

If you send the bent one in to WW.Manufacturing they will send you a new one, no hassle.
If you are going to mod the thing you will kill the warranty on the new one but if you really think you want to weld on one to improve wouldn't starting with a new unit instead of an already beat up one make sense?

This is the one I have:
https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-55-barracuda
I'm 6'1 and about 215 lbs so the extra length of the handle is nice, and it also must have some kind of inner reinforcement because I've really tooled on this shovel. Pretty sure all predator tools have that gusset already welded on. I know mine does. I like Sampson tools as well, but I certainly feel there are stronger shovels on the market. I felt the whites ground hawg was terrible. I bent one right in half once. I personally need a strong shovel, and so far only predator has lasted the test of time. But I've only had it maybe a year, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck with yours, and let us know how you like it!

Back
Top Bottom