Suspender or Garter Buckle - Age?

TheDirtKing

Dont know if this is a suspender or garter buckle but the fact that it has birds on it makes me think garter. Is there any way to roughly date these? All other items found in the same field are dating to 1860s.... 1868 shield nickel, henry rimfire cartridges, SAW rimfire cartridges, etc... is this consistent with that time period?

k4cAxtDm.jpg
pqd0J6cm.jpg

If you inspect it very closely, it might have a patent date on it:D

Attachments

• 11-29-14 toetap pat NOV 19, 185X.jpg
    11-29-14 toetap pat NOV 19, 185X.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 294
Dont know if this is a suspender or garter buckle but the fact that it has birds on it makes me think garter. Is there any way to roughly date these? All other items found in the same field are dating to 1860s.... 1868 shield nickel, henry rimfire cartridges, SAW rimfire cartridges, etc... is this consistent with that time period?

Nice find, DK! And good eye noticing the birds - I think I would have missed that detail if you hadn’t pointed them out! I’m definitely no bird expert, but the long tail feathers make them look like they might be pheasants, which might imply a hunting motif and lend a little more masculinity to the buckle, at least from a Victorian era perspective. I’m leaning heavily toward calling your find a suspender buckle. Victorian suspender buckles often have a more ornate design, while garter clips are usually more utilitarian and plain since they would theoretically always be out of view :D But the attachment method was also very different - your find has a small hook device on the bottom typical of a suspender clip. Garter clips tend to have an open slit to slide around a button.

I’d say late 1800s for the clip is a reasonable guess, putting it pretty consistent with the other finds at the site. Cool dig!

Nice find, DK! And good eye noticing the birds - I think I would have missed that detail if you hadn’t pointed them out! I’m definitely no bird expert, but the long tail feathers make them look like they might be pheasants, which might imply a hunting motif and lend a little more masculinity to the buckle, at least from a Victorian era perspective. I’m leaning heavily toward calling your find a suspender buckle. Victorian suspender buckles often have a more ornate design, while garter clips are usually more utilitarian and plain since they would theoretically always be out of view :D But the attachment method was also very different - your find has a small hook device on the bottom typical of a suspender clip. Garter clips tend to have an open slit to slide around a button.

I’d say late 1800s for the clip is a reasonable guess, putting it pretty consistent with the other finds at the site. Cool dig!

Thanks Tango ... I was thinking doves then you mention the tails and yeah, I can see pheasant also ... thanks for taking the time to point that out and leaving the comment.

Back
Top Bottom