Naval Button?

Shane724

Hey all!
Was woods hunting today and hoping I pulled my first military button! Any help on age or ID?
Also it measures 23.5 on the micrometer!

Thanks in advance!

78f8239fa6c1e01c3de1977d070de7b9.jpg

6f63df231155bd6b2ba5eba085f02093.jpg

1c902edf90cb76e146cbfeda8dd3d53a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It definitely looks military, but the back would lead me to think it might be a fashion button. Most military buttons have brass backs. Iron backs would cause rust to get on the uniform. A notable exception to that would be the Confederates. They did produce some buttons with iron backs. And some Union kappi buttons had iron backs as they set on leather.

It definitely looks military, but the back would lead me to think it might be a fashion button. Most military buttons have brass backs. Iron backs would cause rust to get on the uniform. A notable exception to that would be the Confederates. They did produce some buttons with iron backs. And some Union kappi buttons had iron backs as they set on leather.

Thanks for this info dug!
What is a fashion button exactly and what would they be used for?

A fashion button is one used on civilian clothing, like a blazer, coat or jacket. They use bright brass with a motif, sometimes mimicking a military crest, like an eagle, anchor, or in this case an anchor and crown. The tell all is the iron or steel backing plate, as military used brass to prevent corrosion and rust stains on uniforms. As stated above, there are a very few actual military buttons with an iron back plate. The Confederate buttons make sense as the Union controlled most of the manufacturing and had an effective blockade of the southern ports. I hope this helps you. GL and HH.

A fashion button is one used on civilian clothing, like a blazer, coat or jacket. They use bright brass with a motif, sometimes mimicking a military crest, like an eagle, anchor, or in this case an anchor and crown. The tell all is the iron or steel backing plate, as military used brass to prevent corrosion and rust stains on uniforms. As stated above, there are a very few actual military buttons with an iron back plate. The Confederate buttons make sense as the Union controlled most of the manufacturing and had an effective blockade of the southern ports. I hope this helps you. GL and HH.

Thanks for this info rusty! It’s great learning about these things as I continue recovering history! HH to you as well!

Naval buttons are the most hard to determine. Often not.

As there are so many far simular designs from many countries all over the world, and that for some ages. Without concrete recognition and clear marks they are not to determine.

Back
Top Bottom