Has anyone made a purchase with a gift card or loadable credit card?

Nope I use PayPal mainly. You can link cards to your PayPal, so if you dont have any money in your PayPal account, you can choose to use your card instead. I know many don't like PayPal, but it's one of the easiest, most convenient ways to pay for goods nowadays. Its also secure, but not all services are free either.

I don't use credit cards so I bought some gift cards from Amazon. lately, they wouldn't honor them unless I had a credit card registered with them. that is why I bought the gift cards in the first place. I never had any problems with them in the past. they would let me use them for smaller items but not for what I wanted. I don't know if they have changed their policies or not.

From my police experience, (and I don't know all your transaction details) but people asking you to pay for things by gift card online is usually a scam unless you actually know the person.

From my police experience, (and I don't know all your transaction details) but people asking you to pay for things by gift card online is usually a scam unless you actually know the person.

Oh yeah! I know about scams, my wife is bipolar mildly and she gets scammed alot. That is why I had to remove her from my banking entirely.:shock:

I haven’t bought a scoop that way. I have made online purchases with visa gift cards before. What I found I had to do, was go to the visa gift card website and sign in, in order to associate a name and address to the gift card, to be able to use it online.

“Do I need to register my Card for online, mail or telephone purchases?

Yes, online, mail and telephone order merchants often require that personal information, including name, address, telephone number and email address of the cardholder be verified with the Card-issuing bank prior to purchase. If you wish to make online, mail or telephone order purchases, you should go to [removed url] to register your Card. Unless you register your Card in advance, there may be no way an online, mail or telephone order merchant can confirm your identity. Without such confirmation, the merchant might decline your purchase even if there are sufficient funds on the Card.“

Found the above online.

I think this is the official Visa link though:

https://www.visaprepaidprocessing.com/MyGift/Home/Index

Maybe PayPal though simpler? I don’t know.

Last edited:
I just used two of those prepaid Visa gift cards for an online purchase. One problem I encountered was that the online checkout carts can't do partial payments so if the total is more than the gift card balance, it gets declined. The retailer ended up sending me an e-mail PayPal invoice and had to check the "allow partial payment" box. Then I could use the two gift cards and pay the remainder with a credit card in 3 separate transactions. You might have to phone the retailer to see if they can do something like this.

Back
Top Bottom