AT Pro - Pressure Build up ??

Reef Runner

Forum Supporter
The other day, I ran the rechargeable batteries completely down, in my AT Pro. When I opened the battery compartment, I got a distinct little "whoosh", just as I pulled out the compartment door. Just a little whoosh, like opening the top on a pop bottle. I looked inside with a flashlight and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I slipped in another battery pack with 4 freshly charged batteries, turned it on, and all seems well with the MD. :shock: The batteries that were in the unit, were in "like new" condition, and had only been recharged a couple of times. There did not appear to be any kind of leakage anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or is something freaky going on with my ATP? Maybe this is normal, and I have never noticed it, being outside, etc. I was inside, under very quiet conditions when this occurred, so just wondering (?).

Sounds like a good sealed unit, Did you change elevation? That can do it. Say you had the battery compartment open at sea level then drove up to 1500 feet and opened it again. If sealed like a at pro than that would be perfectly normal.

Had you recently gone through a large change of temp. Outside swinging when it was 30 and let it warm up in the house to 70 some degrees? Just another thought.

Sounds like a good sealed unit, Did you change elevation? That can do it. Say you had the battery compartment open at sea level then drove up to 1500 feet and opened it again. If sealed like a at pro than that would be perfectly normal.

No change in altitude, etc, etc. However, I did, just prior to those last batteries, re-lubricate the big O-ring, that seals the compartment. Again, not a big "whoosh", but enough to hear it, in the quiet of my garage. :?:

Had you recently gone through a large change of temp. Outside swinging when it was 30 and let it warm up in the house to 70 some degrees? Just another thought.

Good thought. I was outside with it on Sunday afternoon (mid to upper 40's). Unit sat in the garage overnight (40's), then it warmed up inside during the day on Monday, as I had some heat running in my garage. It may have been in the 50's or lower 60's when I popped it open, so that's a possibility.

I went back and checked the batteries and the battery compartment again for moisture, but there was none. The set of batteries are on the "smart-charger" now, and have been for several hours, and all indicates that everything is well. Usually if there is a bad battery in the bunch, that one won't even begin to charge....so I believe the batteries are okay.

Maybe I'm just being over cautious ;)

sounds like a good seal. was it warm out or in the sun when you first put the batteries in? Starting hot and sealing before it cools may have been the culprit. Think canning food.

sounds like a good seal. was it warm out or in the sun when you first put the batteries in? Starting hot and sealing before it cools may have been the culprit. Think canning food.

Hey Craig - No, it was not out in the sun, BUT, it was indeed warm, in my shop/garage, when I put those batteries in on Sunday afternoon. I had been out with the F75, and it started to spit cold rain, so being close by, I went back to the house and grabbed the ATP. The shop, the ATP, and the batteries, were all warm, when I put that battery pack in (I also re-lubricated the O-ring). Then I immediately went back out into the cool air. Everything remained cool that night, sitting in the shop/garage, because the heat was off overnight. It was the next day that I opened the battery compartment and got the whoosh.

Actually, I was messing with the ATP in my shop that night, after I came in from MDing, and I left it turned "on" all night, sitting on my workbench. Hence the depleated batteries. Oh well......:lol:

Back
Top Bottom