What the Excal missed

"Agreed. This one would have been in knee deep water had the tide not been down though. Makes me wonder how many we’re missing."

A LOT. I can think of 6 gold chains I have found while diving. Two because I was fanning for a coin and saw the end moving back and forth. Both of those were over 18 grams. Two because I was fanning for a target and saw a pile of gold in the hole. One when I came across a scoopers hole and saw the end sticking out of the side. The scooper got most of it and the pendant but I got about a 12" piece. Scoopers should know if they bring up part of a gold chain to dig out the hole! And one because it was just laying on top of the sand.

I have found three that my machine did pick up. One huge necklace and two large bracelets. I know for sure I have missed chains also.

That's definitely scary. It also explains why I've never found a single gold chain. I wonder if those scratch 25 signals are chains, sometimes, and sometimes I'll dig them, just to check. I've found a few that way, but never gold...

10k acid test. In order from left to right, the clasp, the crab claw, and random section of chain. All held. And it weighs more then I thought it would.

picture.php

picture.php

10k acid test. In order from left to right, the clasp, the crab claw, and random section of chain. All held. And it weighs more then I thought it would.

Nice. Did the 14K eat the streaks? It looks like you have AT LEAST as good as 10K. Thats a great chain, now we need to find a beach detector that can beep on it!

Make sure your Discrimination is always, always, always set at 1.

Your sensitivity you should set each hunt to as high as you can go and still be stable. (for now, auto is fine as you learn the machine)

Swing SLOW and swing LOW:) Keep that coil as close to the ground as you can.

Not all machine work the same...... there are differences. You notice it more in PP mode just how different they can be. Dont know if its the coils or processing...... or just age/tuning.

Dew

Not many detectors will find a gold chain. Excal's and CZ's are not made for tiny gold.

Even heavy gold chains are not found without a pendant. Same with the CZ-20 and 21. I have found two chains by chance that were over 18 grams each that the machine never hit on. Live and learn.

Just curious, will they detect a silver chain better/worse than a gold one? I'm asking because I found a very thin, silver anklet this summer, that the Sovereign XS 2a-Pro sounded off on, and was curious if it would be the same with a similar size gold one.

Great gold chain, congrats!

Just curious, will they detect a silver chain better/worse than a gold one? I'm asking because I found a very thin, silver anklet this summer, that the Sovereign XS 2a-Pro sounded off on, and was curious if it would be the same with a similar size gold one.

Great gold chain, congrats!

Gold is a WEIRD metal. The reason most detectors will not find a gold chain is they can only see ONE link. If the link is big enough it will detect it.

Silver on the other hand is different. A detector will see and detect the whole chain.

Back
Top Bottom