Aluminum token cleaning?

fishnnut

Forum Supporter
Anybody have any idea how to clean an aluminum token? Have tried soap and water and toothbrush but doesn't do much.... thanks for help and HH.

You could try electrolysis but be warned.

I did it on an aluminum token I found. I repeatedly pulled out of the solution and checked it. Cleaned it up nice and then with a little more electrolysis it got very pitted. I essentially left it in too long. The way it is now, it was cooler dirty then "clean" and pitted. I think there is a very fine line between clean and ruined.

Depending on how old it is, and what is stuck to the token, theres parts you will not be able to clean off. I have peeled parts of tokens off trying to get dirt to come off. What happens is the coin pits or bubbles up, and its dirt colored. My best method is just soap and water with a tooth brush. If you use a stiff brush you can leave grooves in the coin. Post a pic on here and lets see it

I have good luck with making a paste of water and baking soda, and rubbing it between my thumb and finger, this is also the same method most will recommend to clean your silver coins too... Aluminum tokens just take more work/time...

Like mentioned, some of the bumps, will be pits when your done... Some will clean up really well...

Here are some of my aluminum tokens from last year... Some I cleaned more than others, the one on the top right ($1.00 Red Goose Shoes) was pretty bad when I found it..

IMG_5018_zps9aa07817.jpg

IMG_5023_zpsabe74757.jpg

Good luck!!!

<*)))>{

I use a sos pad on all my found aluminum tokens it removes 99% of the brown corrosion

I have good luck with making a paste of water and baking soda, and rubbing it between my thumb and finger, this is also the same method most will recommend to clean your silver coins too... Aluminum tokens just take more work/time...

Like mentioned, some of the bumps, will be pits when your done... Some will clean up really well...

Here are some of my aluminum tokens from last year... Some I cleaned more than others, the one on the top right ($1.00 Red Goose Shoes) was pretty bad when I found it..

IMG_5018_zps9aa07817.jpg

IMG_5023_zpsabe74757.jpg

Good luck!!!

<*)))>{

That's a very decent Canadian tiffin token you got there, top row center.

Thanks!!

Tiffin huh? Did not know they were called that.. If it was a coin,1812 it would be my oldest coin...

You Canadian?

<*)))>{

Yes, Rick In Nova scotia, canada
Yes it is a coin, or a half penny token...same thing. here is just one website to look at. Now that you know 1812 tiffin, you can do more search if you like.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/token...ada,-tiffen-token,-one-halfpenny,-1812&id=325

BTW I found at least two of these but yours is better than both of mine.
And good advice on the baking soda it is relative harmless, yes I know the "purists" will say how you will "ruin" a coin. bla bla on the ground found examples.

Yes, Rick In Nova scotia, canada
Yes it is a coin, or a half penny token...same thing. here is just one website to look at. Now that you know 1812 tiffin, you can do more search if you like.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/token...ada,-tiffen-token,-one-halfpenny,-1812&id=325

BTW I found at least two of these but yours is better than both of mine.
And good advice on the baking soda it is relative harmless, yes I know the "purists" will say how you will "ruin" a coin. bla bla on the ground found examples.

Thanks for the link!! Very cool!!

My buddy found a Bank Of Montreal Token too... 1856 I think... My oldest silver is a 1882 fishscale...

Good luck up there man!!

<*)))>{

Thanks for the link!! Very cool!!

My buddy found a Bank Of Montreal Token too... 1856 I think... My oldest silver is a 1882 fishscale...

Good luck up there man!!

<*)))>{

Thank you very much...on the luck wish.

Bank Of Montreal Token would be 1852, 54, 0r 57

Congrats on the fishscale I love finding those.

I've been off to a very poor start this year, but if you have a sec. check out my last years totals. My best year to date.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=183952

But the weather has finnaly changed for the better.

If you get any "weird" canadian, I'll ID it for you.

If you get any "weird" canadian, I'll ID it for you.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind, I find Canadian money every hunt it seems..

Your last year was killer!! You find some really old digs for sure, and nice American silver too!

<*)))>{

I had good success on an aluminum token by soaking it in lemon juice for a couple of hours, then scrubbing with a baking soda paste and good rinse with water

I tumbled two of them with a batch of coins and now they are completely unreadable. I don't know that I would recommend that.

Anybody have any idea how to clean an aluminum token? Have tried soap and water and toothbrush but doesn't do much.... thanks for help and HH.

the wife cleaned up some of mine with tooth paste and a soft brush even works for silver also guess kinda like spic and span

Back
Top Bottom