I think I was being set up!

ClockDoc

The wife and I were hunting the beach a week or two ago. You know before monsoon season started and the unending rain started. We are hitting the water line slow and steady chit chatting with the few oeople that pass by. Then a "helpfull" person stops to give me great advice. "You should hunt the dunes, I have found change and rings in there" he says you go into the dunes "where the kids make out that's where the good stuff is." I looked at my wife then back at Jasper, we said thanks for the tip and moved on down the line.
The dunes are protected, there are signs at every beach, at every dune very clearly reading Stay Off the Dunes. There was no way we were going to do that. I told the wife to keep her eyes out for the PD because I had a feeling he was going to be dropping a dime saying he saw people mding in the dunes. The other option was this winner is why the rest of us get a bad rap.

Maybe you were hunting on the guys beach and it was a way to get rid of you so to speak... :yes:

Maybe you were hunting on the guys beach and it was a way to get rid of you so to speak... :yes:

I thought of that too. He was on a beach bike and came up from behind, flying by me on the water side where I was swinging. Brushed my arm on the way by almost like he was aiming at the dectector. I had a few choice words for him I know he heard.
He'll have to work a lot harder to move me to another beach that's for sure.

I thought of that too. He was on a beach bike and came up from behind, flying by me on the water side where I was swinging. Brushed my arm on the way by almost like he was aiming at the dectector. I had a few choice words for him I know he heard.
He'll have to work a lot harder to move me to another beach that's for sure.

Couple years ago I had a guy come up behind me and put his coil over mine while I was detecting... I told him if he continued he would be walking off the beach with his detector sticking out of his backside... I was pissed off... he got the message loud and clear..

The wife and I were hunting the beach a week or two ago. You know before monsoon season started and the unending rain started. We are hitting the water line slow and steady chit chatting with the few oeople that pass by. Then a "helpfull" person stops to give me great advice. "You should hunt the dunes, I have found change and rings in there" he says you go into the dunes "where the kids make out that's where the good stuff is." I looked at my wife then back at Jasper, we said thanks for the tip and moved on down the line.
The dunes are protected, there are signs at every beach, at every dune very clearly reading Stay Off the Dunes. There was no way we were going to do that. I told the wife to keep her eyes out for the PD because I had a feeling he was going to be dropping a dime saying he saw people mding in the dunes. The other option was this winner is why the rest of us get a bad rap.

Forgive me if if its a stupid question..
But dunes? Not sure i understand

For the most part dunes are off limits to hunt they were built to protect the beach from erosion... can't be damaging the grass and weeds planted in them :yes:

Couple years ago I had a guy come up behind me and put his coil over mine while I was detecting... I told him if he continued he would be walking off the beach with his detector sticking out of his backside... I was pissed off... he got the message loud and clear..

Wow, the gall of that guy! What was he thinking? I wonder if I would have kicked his coil off right away!

Wow, the gall of that guy! What was he thinking? I wonder if I would have kicked his coil off right away!

He was a... I'll leave it at that... maybe he thought the beach belonged to him but I set him straight.. no way I can say here what I said to him... I would get banned :lol: He got the message loud and clear and slinked off... I was ready to snap his detector in half with my scoop.

Hahaha and he went beep beep all the way home!

Not stupid at all. Dunes meaning sand dunes. Beach errosion is high on cape cod and the sand dunes act as a barrier to errosion. The grasses that grow on them are fragile so no one is allowed walk or drive on them.

Not stupid at all. Dunes meaning sand dunes. Beach errosion is high on cape cod and the sand dunes act as a barrier to errosion. The grasses that grow on them are fragile so no one is allowed walk or drive on them.

For the most part dunes are off limits to hunt they were built to protect the beach from erosion... can't be damaging the grass and weeds planted in them :yes:

We have the same thing in central coast CA. Heaven forbid that beach grasses (gasp) aren't allowed to take-hold d/t pedestrian traffic.

So these laws/rules and ribbons of ribbon-tape have NOTHING to do with md'ing. And I bet you no one is waiting & watching to see if anyone (gasp) stepped over that ribbon.

9 out of 10 adults who have come up to me while I’m detecting has turned out to be a time wasting melon. Kids and dogs I understand....full grown people I do not. Then again....I have a lot to learn about people, the polling is close.:lol:

9 out of 10 adults who have come up to me while I’m detecting has turned out to be a time wasting melon....

Correct. I don't see why we md'rs need to "read into" passing pedestrian comments, as some sort of sinister ulterior motive. They're just passing busy-bodies who have "heard of a great treasure story" or who has an "uncles with one of those geigor-counters who found such & such". There's no sinister plot or imminent threat :roll:

Last edited:
No sinister plot ? Except when I see them out the following weekend hunting on MY beach...đź‘ą

9 out of 10 adults who have come up to me while I’m detecting has turned out to be a time wasting melon. Kids and dogs I understand....full grown people I do not. Then again....I have a lot to learn about people, the polling is close.:lol:

Whenever I am accosted by an adult that seems interested in my metal detecting hobby, I try to steer the conversation to my advantage. Usually goes something like this:

" I haven't found much at this park, (Or curb strip or wherever I am). I usually like to hunt private yards with the owner's permission. Do you live around here???"

That usually leads to an invitation or an abrupt end to the conversation. I am good either way.

Correct. I don't see why we md'rs need to "read into" passing pedestrian comments, as some sort of sinister ulterior motive. They're just passing busy-bodies who have "heard of a great treasure story" or who has an "uncles with one of those geigor-counters who found such & such". There's no sinister plot or imminent threat :roll:

never had a bad encounter. Just people asking "find anything good?". Since I hunt CW areas in North Atlanta that are along suburban walking trails, I have a couple of times been mistaken for a county worker and they tell me I missed some weeds. They think I have a weed eater.

I have had two men actually tell me areas where their older neighbors found Civil War relics nearby back in the 70's and 80's. I followed their advice and sure enough, started finding Civil War relics.

never hunted out adage

Was reading a post here or on the other metal detecting forum several weeks ago. The poster stated what many have stated, the a site is really never hunted out. He says he has hunted sites year after year and it was still producing. Over the past two years I have found about a half dozen good Civil War sites.

I stopped to think about the well known adage of never being hunted out in terms of how we detect.

When I go to a "new to me", Civil War area, I just try to find the obvious areas that would I would likely find relics. But I never have time to really grid an area.

Last week I took two bonded rescued young cats that we are going to keep to a new vet. His practice was back in the woods off a main road about 200 yards. We got to talking and mentioned I would like to hunt his property. He had about 5 acres of woods. He said when they were clearing the land for the building 30 years ago they found a Civil War belt buckle and some bullets.

So you never really know where you will find Civil War relics if you are indeed in an area of Civil War activity. And some lucky detectorists have found Civil War belt buckles in areas where there was no Civil War activity, but just from returning soldiers. So I am learning to be more content with the few Civil War areas that I have permission to hunt and just keep hunting when the weather is good and bugs are few.

Whenever I am accosted by an adult that seems interested in my metal detecting hobby, I try to steer the conversation to my advantage. Usually goes something like this:

" I haven't found much at this park, (Or curb strip or wherever I am). I usually like to hunt private yards with the owner's permission. Do you live around here???"

That usually leads to an invitation or an abrupt end to the conversation. I am good either way.

Good point, not saying you have to get into a long drawn out conversation, but you might get a new permission some such conservations.

Back
Top Bottom