Would like to invest in Silver....

I can understand the concerns of theft.

Ya just need a big dungeon like His Majesty has to store it all in large locked trunks that are too heavy for the thieves to steal without motorized equipment when full ! :shock: First fill the locked trunks with bricks and as you accumulate the massive wealth, replace the bricks one at a time with rolled silver coins! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Otherwise you are payong the bank to keep yer hoard in their vault!

Ya just need a big dungeon like His Majesty has to store it all in large locked trunks that are too heavy for the thieves to steal without motorized equipment when full ! :shock: First fill the locked trunks with bricks and as you accumulate the massive wealth, replace the bricks one at a time with rolled silver coins! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Otherwise you are payong the bank to keep yer hoard in their vault!
Great idea KT! Load up the lock boxes with bricks! The last place you want to keep your stack is within a bank's tentacles, 'cause if you don't hold it, you don't own it!

I agree with the above that buying PM's is not so much an investment, rather than a hedge against a doomed currency.

Silver and gold will always have a value, regardless of the currency in place at any given time. If the USD falls, the next monetary paradigm may be just as worthless. Precious metals have always, and will always have value.

As for what to buy, Junk silver coins are cheapest, easily recognized and traded. Bullion from trusted sources would trade just as easily for larger bartering power.

Gold is more expensive, but a thousand dollars worth of silver is heavy, when compared to the same value in gold.

Fair warning: once you start buying PM's for yourself, you will develop dragon sickness.... where you want more......and more.....

Good digs

Pawaide

Check out Gainseville Coins. For smaller quantities, less than 500 1 oz rounds, they are much cheaper than APMEX. one ounce is one ounce unless you're getting into the numismatic value, you don't need any fancy pictures on the coins and pay more.

From what I hear you just need to buy a Minelab and go detecting. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the US dollar ever failed and the hooey hit the fan the only valuable things would be bullets, seeds and food... No one will be looking for silver coins imo.

If the US dollar ever failed and the hooey hit the fan the only valuable things would be bullets, seeds and food... No one will be looking for silver coins imo.
Sigh...how soon they forget history...there will always be those with excess, willing to trade for silver or gold. Throughout history, PM's have never not had value.

True. The thing is that sooner or later order will be restored, at least we better hope, and then PM's will be important as a currency long before any govt restores it's currency. That is why one should not buy large bullion or coins but keep them in small weights so it's easier to "make change" if you are using them for that bad time. I only buy one ounce silver rounds-silver is silver. Trying to barter with a 100 ounce silver bar is going to be hard. Even a one ounce gold coin will be hard to use. anyone got change for a one ounce gold coin? Keep them small.

Oh guns are good battering items too. You can't have too many guns or ammo. And if you have an electronic device to open your safe, change it to a dial combination lock. Those EMP's will wipe it out.

Now I'm sounding like a prepper. Better get some seeds now.

About to pay for a honeymoon trip... keep you eyes in the classifieds as I'll be unloading plenty in the upcoming months! ;) I always looked at detecting as fun money anyways... :D

If SHTF, This angle has validity...I believe that jewelry would be better trade items than coins..especially for getting from 'point A to B'.....Wanna do a test? Take a silver dollar or half and show it to the average person on the street nowadays...they will not have any inkling what its worth and dont really care....

Then, pull out a ring, a decent looking one, doesnt even have to be gold, it could be Tungsten or SS, or Cobalt...they will give you $20+ for it. long...Ashamed to say I sold a tungsten one for $60...

Just look around, observe the kind of people we are dealing with nowadays, what do they consider 'valuable'?....You can carry a lot of rings on your person, you could trade them all day long for a tank of gas...easier to carry and travel with than coins, trade for way over melt, in the case of junk 1000x metal value...Pretty little Silver rings? Yeah...easy 10x melt...

Its hard to get melt for a gold one...Sure, a little 2gr 10K you might be able to get $40 for, but a decent 8gr 14k? People are just not carrying around a couple hundred in cash anymore, so its the $20-40 range a fellow has to focus on for fast offloads in a trade/cash...

SHTF? Try crossing a border with a load of coins...easier to do with a bunch of rings and necklaces and bracelets...various sizes and corresponding 'values' make it simple to do a trade for fractional items...

Do a local test, its fun! The little gas station counter staff that knows me are always interested in seeing what jewelry "do I have in my pocketses" ...they dont give one diddly damn about a Walker half...but they will buy a nice little silver or junk metal ring...and be happy about it! :laughing:

The only people that are interested in coins is US...and we are few...

Last edited:
Mud, if the SHTF the money that you would get for those little rings won't be worth much. However, you're right about the rings being worth more than silver coins. I have a bunch of them and I sure wouldn't be foolish enough to sell them at melt value. Go to a jewelry store and see if you can get them to sell you a beautiful gold or silver ring at melt value. They never would stop laughing, but people sell gold and silver jewelry all day long at melt value at these 'we buy gold' places. If I sell mine they will be sold as jewelry, except for the damaged and smashed ones.

beephead

SHTF has never happened in the US so everything's a guess!

Yup, but it's so nice to open the safe and see all those little tubes of silver. Makes your heart pump. And some "expert" on TV is saying silver will go to $200 an ounce. Of course he doesn't say what century. And people buy into this hype. I got carried away at $13. Oh well.

Years ago me and Bunker Hunt decided to corner the silver market. Silver hit $45 and soon crashed. He went bankrupt, I didn't. :laughing:

ha ha ha ha. You're right. it's only 8 years old. hilarious and I got caught up in it too. Well, just to keep it relevant silver ranged from $10.50 to 19.00 an ounce in 2009 and it's about $16 now. So if he bought it back then he would have about a loss of about 8% assuming the average price of 14.75. So much for the investment angle.

Last edited:
ha ha ha ha. You're right. it's only 8 years old. hilarious and I got caught up in it too. Well, just to keep it relevant silver ranged from $10.50 to 19.00 an ounce in 2009 and it's about $16 now. So if he bought it back then he would have about a loss of about 8% assuming the average price of 14.75. So much for the investment angle.
How about those that bought at $40? :lol::laughing::grin::no: ...(not me) - they value it by weight, not paper fiat currency. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom