Beginner on a budget. Advice please!

HiroProtagonist

Hello. I'm just starting out and want to get into metal detecting, but the problem is I'm disabled and on quite a bit of a budget. I can probably swing about 2 to 3 hundred dollars, so after some research I was looking between two different models. Garrett Ace 200, or the Tesoro Compadre. Both of them are around the same price and both appeal to me for different reasons that really have nothing to do with actual metal detecting, since i am a newb and have no idea what im doing lol.

If you had it to do all over again and on a budget, which would you choose? Why? Thank you in advance for answering and giving your opinion.

Also, I know I would also need to purchase a digging tool. Does this need to be specific for metal detecting? Does it need to be serrated on one edge? Can these be had fairly cheaply?

The last Question. A pointer. Is this needed? It seems that a decent one of these costs almost as much as a low end MD. Is that right? That may be a hard sell for me then. Would it just be throwing my money away on a cheaper one?

Thank you for bearing with me and taking the time to read this.

Hello and welcome to the hobby. The Garrett machines are nice I haven't used the 200 but if it works like the pro at all then grab it. I'm actually looking at one of these for my son, he's grown but wants a turn on and go type. I've also used the tesoro compadgre and for having no read out it's still pretty efficient and cheap. As far as a pointer goes, they are worth every penny. And yeah you have spend the bigger money to get your value 150 or so. Having said that you can search without it. But if you are searching any type of lawn it's necessary. Otherwise you'll destroy your plug looking through it. But if your forest hunting or lake/ beach it's not necessary. Hope this helps, your gonna love this hobby.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I started with a Garrett ace 250 and found a BUNCH of stuff with it. The important thing is I had a blast doing it. I used a harbor freight pinpointer for months and yes they are not great but again, I found a bunch of stuff with it. You do not NEED an exotic detector to find things and have a great time. Good luck, have a blast and show us your treasure!

I started this hobby with a Compadre, a Propointer, and a Lesche : to me the BEST budget setup! I found gold, silver, and CW relics.

A pinpointer should carry almost the same weight as getting the detector itself!

HH

I started with the Ace 250,I like the various tones and Id icons and pinpoint and
notch in and out ability. Just a lot of info to decide to dig or not.
Compadre has faster recovery speed but lacks most everything else.
I prefer the detector with more info, I dig less trash with it.
Compadre has a lot of fans too.

I recommend finding good clean used mid range detector. You may pay less than you would for a budget detector and have a much better detector in the long run. Some of the manufactures like Garrett and Tesoro are great when it comes to any needed repairs or issues, so a warranty may not be as big of an issue depending on the money saved by buying used.

I can't speak for the Garett machines, as I have never owned one. I'm sure they are good though, as so many use them. I started out with a Tesoro years ago and found many coins, relics and jewelry, including gold rings. They work really well and are very well built and simple to operate machines. The Compadre has a huge following, but you could also look at the Silver uMax. A bit more features, but still lower end of price range. First time buy can be a bit overwhelming. Just research and learn as much as you can before you pull the trigger. Good luck.

If your looking to spend 2-3 total look my videos up on YouTube. Insert either the bounty hunter machines or the ace 150 but I will tell you that starting out I found it best to dig every target and not try to become a pro at deciding based on numbers that are not always accurate. But if you want to spend 2-3 just on the detector get the best deal on a garret or teknetics don't forget about the second hand market a lot of people buy these machines and then decide they don't really want to invest the time and effort.

All good advice. If I was just starting out and had a $2-300 budget I would spend

$35-40 on a GP pointer (https://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-POINTER...295998?hash=item3aeaaccb7e:g:tE4AAOSwEH9ZaLPY)

$15-16 on a serrated shovel (https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outdoo...371541?hash=item1ec8f2c255:g:8xsAAOSwuMZZMmxZ)

And the rest on a decent used mid end machine.

This way you have a stepping point with not totally incompetent tools and without spending big money out of the gate to see if you enjoy the hobby.

I started with a Fisher F22, a harbor freight pinpointer, and a junk shovel. I “upgraded” to the GP pointer and a Lesche handheld. Totally changed my game. Then when you decide to upgrade like me, and you totally will, you can get quality items and have serviceable backups if something breaks.

My next step is an Equinox 800, a Profind 35, and a small Sampson shovel. I expect I won’t be disappointed.

I have a question. I've seen a couple of pretty good deals on a Garrett 300. They are a bit more advanced than the 200 (duh) but also have a "pinpointer" mode. Does this take the place of a handheld pinpointer?

I have a question. I've seen a couple of pretty good deals on a Garrett 300. They are a bit more advanced than the 200 (duh) but also have a "pinpointer" mode. Does this take the place of a handheld pinpointer?

Nope. Think of the pinpointer on a detector as getting you over the spot that you want to make your plug. The handheld pinpointer will help you locate your target in the hole. They usually have a range of 1-2” depening on model and target. I would almost say a handheld pinpointer is a MUST.

My machine doesn't have a pinpoint ability after some practice you'll find that it's not usually necessary at least that has been my experience. I am using a basic coil so some of the more advanced coils could prove to be a different story.

Welcome aboard, first ANSWER a couple questions so we can help you better.

You say your on disability, not to be nosie at all but let us know if you think bending to dig or swinging a detector would be an issue.

Also let us know if you leaning towards clad stabbing, silver hunting relic hunting park hunting, these things might make a bit of difference too.

It seems like where everyone starts, they will quickly get unhappy and want to upgrade fairly soon. While I never used one it seems the compadre is pretty tough to beat for the money. I started off with a ace 250 and honestly i was never happy with the target ID(sound not just visual) I understand the discrimination on the Tesoro's to be more effective than most starter machines. So I believe it would or should handle iron better.

As far as a pinpointer, I would start with the black Garrett, and not a knockoff. This is one thing guys complain about when they buy cheap ones. This will greatly improve your finding of your target.

If your hunting in parks, and don't have an issue bending, it seems like about the only virtually indestructible digging tool that cheap is either a Hori Hori sod knife or a Treasurewise trowel, both of these are though and can be had under $20.00 all the others i have seen posted seem to fail more frequently.

Bending and the like isnt a problem. The issue isnt with my back, I have a rare nerve disease which causes intense pain to the nerves in my face. Think of having a toothache in every tooth on one half of your face. It's something like that. I wasnt actually interested in finding anything in particular I guess. Maybe older coins would be of the most interest. I'm not quite sure where I would be hunting yet. A facebook friend from high school who detects has offered to take me to a few places. I am still wavering between the two detectors lol and trying to make up my mind lol. The simplicity and retro look of the Compadre appeals to me. And some of the reviews I've read have said that it is a more powerful machine than the others that you can get at the same price range.

The Tesoro is simple and YES it does work well. With a retail price of a new machine at about $160-165 (Compadre) you would still have money in your budget for a good pin pointer and digging tool. The Tesoro also has a lifetime warranty that they actually honor. A serrated edged tool is not mandatory but does help. The best pin pointer you can afford the better. A good pin pointer makes recovery of your target SO much easier. I started out with a large heavy diving knife for a digging tool when I started out. Wasn't optimal, but did the job until I could acquire a proper/good digging tool. Detector and pin pointer quality is a must though in my opinion......again good luck.

Bending and the like isnt a problem. The issue isnt with my back, I have a rare nerve disease which causes intense pain to the nerves in my face. Think of having a toothache in every tooth on one half of your face. It's something like that. I wasnt actually interested in finding anything in particular I guess. Maybe older coins would be of the most interest. I'm not quite sure where I would be hunting yet. A facebook friend from high school who detects has offered to take me to a few places. I am still wavering between the two detectors lol and trying to make up my mind lol. The simplicity and retro look of the Compadre appeals to me. And some of the reviews I've read have said that it is a more powerful machine than the others that you can get at the same price range.

I'm afflicted with analysis paralysis myself. Good luck and enjoy

I have the stock concentric coil on my ace250 ,with some practice using pinpoint I became
an ace pinpointer without an electronic pinpointer .
Compadre doesn't have that nice feature. However with practice you might do well??

I would go with the Compadre because I feel the best way to learn any detector is through the audio. This will make you better at every detector you buy from now on..too much reliance on VDI misses much of good stuff.
Also should you stay in the hobby you will eventually upgrade and need a back up. The Compadre is not only a great backup but will probably be your weapon of choice over any machine at any price for certain types of hunting...gold chains, around big metal in playgrounds etc.

A good pinpointer is nice and you must have headphones...to start you can get a cheap pair or 4$ adapter with earbuds.

Last edited:
If you look in the classifieds on this site there is a Tesoro Bandido and a Whites coinmaster GT for sale within your budget. Both decent detectors and being sold by trusted members on this site.

This Sport is good medicine! You dont need a pinpointer or a digging tool for all situations...Just a simple screwdriver will quickly recover dirt targets 4" to surface......You can hunt wood chip totlots and similar places with just the side of your foot...Or you can hunt beaches...even without a scoop just by kicking the sand with your foot...You dont even need kneepads or a camoflage vest!

I agree with the headphones though, this is an audio primary Sport, and you must hear the subtleties...

This Sport has so many subsets...you dont need Tools for all of them...Theres gold and coins all over the place, some of the most amazing discoveries have come out of a wood chip totter...easy parking, plenty of them all over town to practice in and hunt...simple fast and fun...Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom