Getting out of the detector business

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Don't want to do it but haven't got much of a choice. I was expecting my detector sales to cover (more than cover) the cost of my sponsorship but it isn't, not the the cost of being a sponsor is alot of $$$ it's just that I have been having little to no sales & the ones I have sold have very little profit. And to top it off I got a letter this morning from our bank saying that my account it over drawn by $411.00 I have two distributors and one charges me the same day and the other one charges anytime from the place of order to the end of the week. So somehow I had a mix up of not transferring the money at the right time to the right account. I have a regular account and a business account and my distributor charged the account that had no funds.......etc. and that's how I got the over draw. I worked two days over time this week and another 7 hours today (Saturday) in hopes to have alittle extra to do something with my family next week but it will all (plus) have to go to the bank. Its been great doing business with you all and will be on the forum as much as possible but not as a dealer. Not trying for sympathy or anything of the sort just wanting you all to know why I am getting out of the business. Thanks! Steve.

It's a tough business with lots of competition Steve. But at least you have a full time job to bring home the bacon.

Sorry to hear that hope it gets better now youll have more time with the family and maybe some swinging time good luck with your ventures

Tough business. I remember when I used to mow lawns. I'm not mowing lawns for 5 bucks.

You've given it a good go at it , at least you tried , instead of wondering about it . You've been thru a lot over the last couple of years , I hope things will eventually even out for you . Hang in there bud , I was always told , the lord won't throw any more at you than you can handle . Best of luck to you .

That's why I stopped doing over draft protection a long time ago. Speak to the bank, they may NOT charge you if you tell them you can't afford it.

You've given it a good go at it , at least you tried , instead of wondering about it . You've been thru a lot over the last couple of years , I hope things will eventually even out for you . Hang in there bud , I was always told , the lord won't throw any more at you than you can handle . Best of luck to you .

Don't want to do it but haven't got much of a choice. I was expecting my detector sales to cover (more than cover) the cost of my sponsorship but it isn't, not the the cost of being a sponsor is alot of $$$ it's just that I have been having little to no sales & the ones I have sold have very little profit. And to top it off I got a letter this morning from our bank saying that my account it over drawn by $411.00 I have two distributors and one charges me the same day and the other one charges anytime from the place of order to the end of the week. So somehow I had a mix up of not transferring the money at the right time to the right account. I have a regular account and a business account and my distributor charged the account that had no funds.......etc. and that's how I got the over draw. I worked two days over time this week and another 7 hours today (Saturday) in hopes to have alittle extra to do something with my family next week but it will all (plus) have to go to the bank. Its been great doing business with you all and will be on the forum as much as possible but not as a dealer. Not trying for sympathy or anything of the sort just wanting you all to know why I am getting out of the business. Thanks! Steve.

aww. although i never bought anything from you its terrible to see you leave the buisiness i was going to sell minelabs but i just never got around to it, i still have the paperwork for it haha.

I was really hoping you make it Steve, I'm sorry to hear it did not work out for you.

Beat of luck to you, keep posting please because I enjoy your posts. Understand otherwise. If I could afford another machine I would've bought one from you, but can't :( and won't for a long time coming probably.

Best of luck on the new job man.

I have a good idea about the markups in this business, the low end is just about nothing and as you move up a little better but nothing like most other retail operations I have had experience with or know about.
Plus, the competition is fierce, monitoring the forums and reminding people you are around takes time, and advertising and sponsorship costs can add up.
I don't know how many do it, brick and mortar store owners might have that other income stream that might help...and more costs, but I think you have to really love this hobby to even consider all that is involved.
Kinda like a you either gotta go big or go home sort of thing.

Steve, you have a great honest and fair rep.
Use that and go back to the old days when you wheeled and dealed on used units if you have the time or the inclination.
The money won't be huge but you can still keep your hand in it and you won't get rich but you can make a few extra bucks along the way.
Also you get to play with a whole lot of different cool toys while you are at it.

Economy still is in the doldrums and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
Tough to start a business in these conditions.

Enjoy your posts and glad you're still here!t

If you have anything left over Stock/Inventory to sell, let us know, maybe some of us can help in some way.

I was kinda hoping to get a set of your custom made headphones someday....

Best of Luck to you Sir...

Steve L
Apple Valley CA

Back
Top Bottom