Advice: Thinking About Joining Army EOD

mysteriousnesss

Elite Member
So I have a 4 year bachelor's degree in chemistry and although I have several options for employment (police, a start-up company involving chemistry, and a brewery analysis position), I have always found myself bouncing back to joining the army. I guess I just figured that there might be someone on this forum that could give me some real insight into what I'd be getting myself into. Without going into detail as to how, I do have a great deal of experience with explosive synthesis and I have read quite a bit regarding demolitions. Now, after 3 years of getting to know my metal detector, I've found out exactly what I love in this life. I love guns, explosives, quick thinking, and my trusty metal detector. I have always wanted to do EOD for the Boston Police Department, only to find that they require quite a bit of time serving as a patrolman before entering their bomb squad program. I guess I just want to know if anyone on here has actually served in this specialty, and if they would talk a little with me one-on-one and explain some details. I know most of you would recommend talking to a recruiter, but I really want someone who genuinely served/know's someone who did. My one qualm with joining the service has always been the lengthy commitment, but now I'm looking for a little more structure in my life and am starting to wonder if this is the type of structure I need.

First, let me preface my remarks by informing you that I grew up during the Vietnam War. DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY! You do not want a bunch of politicians running your life.

Now, on to possibilities. There is the defense industry--they make a lot of things that go bang and boom, and they make a lot of money doing it. So, there is a possibility.

Second, you could go into the sporting arms industry. Right now, as you must likely know, there is an ammo shortage, or at least, a perception of one, and now that O has made an EO banning the importation of certain items from Russia, it may get worse. Ever considered getting into the ammo business?

Third, you could work for BATFE, they play around a lot with explosives, and could probably use a chemist.

Fourth, you could work for a government contractor like Xi, doing EOD work as a private contractor.

Well, I hope that gives you some ideas for alternatives.

GL with your career. I hope it doesn't end with a bang. :D

eod-running.jpg

As a vet, I'd say do it. EOD school is no joke though and I know several people who washed out, so keep that in mind. With your degree you could be an officer but if you want to be guaranteed a shot at EOD then you'll have to go enlisted. There is no guarantee of branch for officers.

So I have a 4 year bachelor's degree in chemistry and although I have several options for employment (police, a start-up company involving chemistry, and a brewery analysis position), I have always found myself bouncing back to joining the army. I guess I just figured that there might be someone on this forum that could give me some real insight into what I'd be getting myself into. Without going into detail as to how, I do have a great deal of experience with explosive synthesis and I have read quite a bit regarding demolitions. Now, after 3 years of getting to know my metal detector, I've found out exactly what I love in this life. I love guns, explosives, quick thinking, and my trusty metal detector. I have always wanted to do EOD for the Boston Police Department, only to find that they require quite a bit of time serving as a patrolman before entering their bomb squad program. I guess I just want to know if anyone on here has actually served in this specialty, and if they would talk a little with me one-on-one and explain some details. I know most of you would recommend talking to a recruiter, but I really want someone who genuinely served/know's someone who did. My one qualm with joining the service has always been the lengthy commitment, but now I'm looking for a little more structure in my life and am starting to wonder if this is the type of structure I need.

I joined towards the end of the Vietnam era. I took most of my preliminary tests when I was 16. I volunteered for 3 years and with leave time saved up I was still 19 when I returned to the States with my commitment served. I was fortunate in the fact that I did not have to serve in a hostile environment. I basically partied for 3 years but I did have some responsibility and was responsible for the safety of my fellow soldiers in some dangerous situations.

There is a Facebook site called Wildflecken Heroes where you can see some photos of what life was like when I was stationed in Wildflecken Germany. You will have to scroll down to see some of my photos. This site was originally started as an internet site by Bruce Fenney and I got to know him quite well back then and even sent him items related to his audiophile interest. I was in the same barracks ,in the same rooms, doing the same kind of things he did ,as he left Wildflecken shortly before I arrived. His photos as well as his friends (Holcomb) photos are also there. My point here being is that you will make a wide variety of friends in the Military and that is a priceless experience. As for the part of your quote that I highlighted I can only say that I had the same feeling when I joined. It worked out fine for me but be prepared. You might have to take things more seriously.:lol:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildflecken-Heroes-54th-Combat-Engineer-Battalion/156074964448294

Only you know which path you really want to travel down. Dont over think it, go with your gut.

If you go military, that only helps you in the civilian word when your commitment to them is over.

This is your journey, dont let others make up your mind. Live it how you want to live it and youll never have regrets, youll have experiences.

Back
Top Bottom