Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 02-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

Default Cleaning inside HF double-drums.

Hi All !

Cleaning modern US coins and keeping Cents separate from alloyed Nickels, clad Dimes, Quarters and Half dollars is recommended to prevent copper from discoloring the nickels and clad coins.

I just acquired a HF 2-drum tumbler this past Dec., 2017 and haven't used it yet, but wondering if I could run nickels and clad coins in the same drum previously used for Cents if I clean the drum well inside. If so, what kind of cleaning solution(s) would be good to remove traces of copper sticking to or impregnated in the rubber?

Or would it be better to mark the drums for dedicated use?

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but opinion alone without actual experience to back it up isn't something I can usually depend on.

Thanks much!

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Last edited by ToddB64; 02-07-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: changing text

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

I have used mine since 2010, never worried about or cleaned either drum no matter what was run in it previously.
Just rinsed, fill them up again and go.
Yes nickels and silver looking clad can be run together with no issues...no need for a forever dedicated drum for any one coin type.
It's rubber...I don't think any copper or anything else gets impregnated into it ever.
The only thing I am ever concerned about is mixing one cent coins in with other clad cause I ain't into pink coins.

Don't over think this, it is all way simpler than you can imagine.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
I have used mine since 2010, never worried about or cleaned either drum no matter what was run in it previously.
Just rinsed, fill them up again and go.
Yes nickels and silver looking clad can be run together with no issues...no need for a forever dedicated drum for any one coin type.
It's rubber...I don't think any copper or anything else gets impregnated into it ever.
The only thing I am ever concerned about is mixing one cent coins in with other clad cause I ain't into pink coins.

Don't over think this, it is all way simpler than you can imagine.
Thanks a lot Digger27 ! You eased my mind.

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Here’s what I do, and in a sense it’s dedicating a drum for copper versus clad, when I have a drum with nickels, dimes and quarters I put a small amount of vinegar in also. So when I go to do another batch of coins I know which drum is for copper because the drum doesn’t have a vinegar smell to it.

Fisher F70, Fisher F44, Fisher F2, 2018 clad: $0.01, Silver coins: 0, Indian heads: 0, Wheaties: 0, Gold rings: 0, Silver rings: 0, Total clad: $286.80, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 38, Gold rings: 4

Old 02-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bruinvikes View post
Here’s what I do, and in a sense it’s dedicating a drum for copper versus clad, when I have a drum with nickels, dimes and quarters I put a small amount of vinegar in also. So when I go to do another batch of coins I know which drum is for copper because the drum doesn’t have a vinegar smell to it.
Clever bruinvikes !

ToddB64

Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Supporter

Digger27 was right. just a quick rinse and the drum won't discolor anything. Just run the pennies separately. I have tumbled one or two pennies with a load of the other clad, with very little discoloring effect. I also once tumbled one of those president dollar coins in with a load of the other clad, and pretty much copper-colored the whole batch.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Elite Member

Never had problems just using aquarium gravel and a few drops of dish soap or aquarium gravel and some Oxy Clean.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

I often add a splash of CLR if I have really ugly coins and it works wonders as well.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Supporter

My tumbler is only a single drum and I never even rinse mine out very well,
I use aquarium gravel with dawn dish soap and about 5 oz. of ammonia,
Clad comes out like new in about 6 or 7 hours.
Same with the pennies.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Elite Member

I run copper and zinc pennies in the same drums as the other clad coins with no adverse effect. After tumbling I rinse the drums out with soap and water.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
I run copper and zinc pennies in the same drums as the other clad coins with no adverse effect. After tumbling I rinse the drums out with soap and water.
diggin4clad....... What cleaning media, chemical(s) and amounts are you using to get such good results ?

ToddB64

Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Supporter

Smile

I rinse my drum with soapy water. I never mix coppers with clads.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
diggin4clad....... What cleaning media, chemical(s) and amounts are you using to get such good results ?

ToddB64
First thing I do is tumble all the coins including pennies in aquarium gravel using only water and a few drops of liquid soap. Then I put the CLAD coins other than the pennies in a solution of salt and vinegar and shake them around for a few minutes. After rinsing them I tumble them again in plain water for about 90 minutes. They'll come out looking like the ones in the pictures. No problem cashing them in at the bank.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Thanks bubbaron and diggin4clad ! Helpful information from both of you. I printed the entire 2-page thread for future reference.

diggin4clad.....Thanks for the extra effort you put into explaining your process and the beautiful pictures !

ToddB64

Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

Dumb question, but do any of you use the tumblers for coins, as well as rocks? My kid bought a HF single drum, and we're about to finish up his second batch of rocks. I've got a bunch of modern clad coins that need cleaning. Just wondering if doing coins would in any way affect the next batch of rocks...... It's his, so I don't want to damage or ruin it at all......