• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

xlt visual screen

sandpiper

I have noticed lately that sometimes when detecting (beach) the visual screen has full bars on the far right and left (+95)as if there was a target but it is constant, not fading out as I continue to sweep. I read something on the forum about VDI numbers being on a wheel and they are backed up to each other. That is confusing to me. Is this a situation where there is too much iron on the beach causing this? Sometimes along with this is the visual ID that there is a ring/foil and I pinpoint and dig and dig and dig and there is nothing there. Any XLTers have this problem?

Far right (+95) is the not to certain what this is segment which is normally rubbish but could be something good. If its consistantly bad signals you can take the risk and notch it out. This costs you a little depth.
Minus 95 could be classed as +96, as in real life, (rather than the meter display), its right next door to +95. So the discrimination numbers do go in a full circle.
Detectors suffer both positive and negative mineralisation depending on whether you have salt or ferrous ground where you are detecting. So you could have bad ground thats not quite balanced out pushing from -95 into +95, or less likely +95 pushing down into -95.
You don't say if its the top of the beach or down in the wet sand but the main beach problem is the detector seeing the salt as a positive metallic target. Its about silver foil level so with pre motion and multi frequency detectors you had to use the discrimination knob as the ground balance and experiment around the position that foil is knocked out.
I've not had the problem with the ring/foil I.D. but then I never use the icons. Could be a fragment of foil or as I've said the salt beach is a foil target to the detector so that could be the problem. Does it give a better or worse signal in the all metal pinpoint mode ?

Yep, usually it's the wet sand where I am searching. I know there is iron in the ground in this region and we have had some beach turnover with sand due to big waves. Usually I use jewelry/beach mode but am starting to use all metal mode on advice from Carol. This is an unfamiliar setting though and I feel like I get alot of false signals and sputtering. Maybe I should just tough it out and use only all metal?
Nice explanation on the -95/+95. It makes a bit more sense now. Thank you

The XLT's one failing is wet sand. You can just about make the detector usable but there's so many other machines that go far deeper with less effort.
By all metal do you mean with trigger forward ?
If so try using motion all metal ie accept right down into the minus figures. Works well on some beaches but not on others. If its not to bad you can then add in some rejection blocks.

Well, I haven't been holding the trigger forward, more in relic mode. I am thinking of trying a different beach next. Lots of hotels border the one I have been on - who knows if drain pipes are below? Thank you for your help. This is a great forum and I keep learning :yes: :yes: :yes:
I think I may pull the batteries out while the md is on. Someone mentioned this would reset it. And the change in beach - the new target beach is a finer whiter sanded beach may give me a different baseline to compare?

Relic mode still has a load of discrimination.
Good idea to try a change of location. Always best to give an XLT a reboot every so often. When you drop the battery holder back in don't do it vertically. It will start the pins bending then you get other problems caused by the slight arcing between pin and holder. You could check the two recessed terminals and see if there's any pitting.

Back
Top Bottom