Buying gold to test detectors

interesting thread, I have the same question
o.png

So what is the point of buying $800-$1,000 dollar machines like the equinox and the etrac when their is no real way of distinguishing gold, platinum and palladium when the size, metal content, depth all vary. It's been said a folded up piece of aluminum can hit on everything.

Basically paying $1,000 dollar for machines for coin shooting silver is all.:lol:

So what is the point of buying $800-$1,000 dollar machines like the equinox and the etrac when their is no real way of distinguishing gold, platinum and palladium when the size, metal content, depth all vary. It's been said a folded up piece of aluminum can hit on everything.

Basically paying $1,000 dollar for machines for coin shooting silver is all.:lol:

Not at all. With those detectors you are paying for the ability to handle very bad ground, as well as handle saltwater conductivity (which very few detectors can). The equinox is also extremely fast as well as highly sensitive to loads of tiny low conductors (aka GOLD) that the other detectors cant see, or they cant see it as deep. These machines are also capable of telling you there is a diggable target a depth far greater than cheap detectors can.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

What is the point. Who digs gold.:lol: Or wants too (me). I get a kick out of digging silver tho! Happens all the time :p

This gives me increased hope in metal detecting. Basically I assumed the technology was advanced enough in the highest end detectors to cherry pick all precious metals when it's only for silver. All the other precious metals a equionox or Etrac has the same chance of finding as a bounty hunter or compadre as far as discriminating which metals. So the higher end detectors have increased odds as far as being able to get targets at greater depth but no way to distinguish them. Not with the other precious metals when factoring in variables such as depth, metal alloy, size of object. It also means I don't necessarily need the most expensive and advanced detector in order to find stuff, unless it's silver that is.

It means all those hunted out places are hunted out of silver. The real treasure is within the trash. Probably right on the side of the road. I found silver there a few times. Even a crunched silver Disney kids ring.

It means all those hunted out places are hunted out of silver. .

That and clad, especially quarters down to copper pennies. Still a lot of zinc and under out there, which is what 98% of platinum, gold, palladium fall into...

<°)))>{

Those higher priced machines give you the ability to find items at a greater depth. A cheap machine might give you three inches while an Nox might give 10 or 11 inches on the same target.

Better machines pay for themselves.

Those higher priced machines give you the ability to find items at a greater depth. A cheap machine might give you three inches while an Nox might give 10 or 11 inches on the same target.

Better machines pay for themselves.
You got that right!

Re my post #52, obviously other's weren't ready to let this thread die, so I'll jump back in with the following:

I have about 8-10 solid signals every trip that I think, "ohhh, this one might be gold! Those are the ones I take videos of, before I dig. I have a LOT of videos reminding me that it's not possible to determine gold before digging. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Skippy SH13,

The above quote is from your post #43.

With reference to the comment I colored blue, presumably you are taking a video to show the target number(s) on your detector display screen before digging and then probably continuing the video after digging to show what the target actually was. This seems like an obvious conclusion. ;)

Thanks,
ToddB64

Needler, this is an excellent excellent question. If a person is angling for gold, (and not easier distinguished coppper/silver), then why oh why does he need a high-end bells-&-whistles machine ? Heck, he can get a Radio-shack cheapie, which "just as easily" tells you the foil & tab range (ie.: gold ring) target categories, right ? Heck, why not just get a pulse machine, and you're GUARANTEED not to miss any "gold" (never-mind that the devil is in the details). Good question. Let me answer by giving you a real-life scenario :

A local friend of mine wanted to get into md'ing. He was a demolition company owner, so ... as expected, would have "carte-blanche" to old-town demolition sites. And ... of course .... those are a relic-mind-set "dig-all" mentality, right ? (ie.: dig everything above iron tactic) . So I set him up with a 6000 Di pro, and a Shadow x2. Both of which are agile when it comes to various forms of hunting, and the shadow x2 sees through iron (ie.: eliminates masking) fairly well. Right ?

But then he and I started working a site, in a cultivated field, where a village existed in 1790 to 1820's. Naturally, since it was a "relic mindset", we "didn't need discrimination", right ? Except for knocking out iron, of course. At this site, I was using the Explorer II, and he was using his 6000 Di pro. And each hunt, I was spanking him on coins/buttons ratio @ 3 to 1. Yet our TARGET COUNT (when counting can slaw, etc...) was exactly the same.

So he accused me of "cherry picking". I denied it. I .... too.... was in "relic mindset" (ie.: dig everything that's not iron). So each of us was mystified as to why I was coming in with higher goodie counts. Eventually it became apparent to use : Since this was a virgin site (no lack of signals to choose from), I .... subconsciously ... must have began to gravitate to the "better sounding signals" . And ... subconsciously ... began to avoid the flitty sounding junky aluminum turd signals.

This was an agriculture field, so when I say "aluminum turd", I'm talking about how when a field worker tosses his can, and it becomes can-slaw over the years. Versus a coin-type target, stays ... hmmm... "distinct". And this is outside the realm of conductivity. Because some of the reales were were angling for, are indeed mid-conductors (very much within the TID of "mid-conductors"). But a full orchestra, tonal ID machine gives more info. Versus the 6000 Di pro, which is just a needle bounce . And since we were hunting at night (long story) he couldn't really avail himself of the needle-bounce location. But he DID know "conductive vs non-conductive".

So why was I spanking him, even though both of us were digging all conductors ? Because of the audio wealth of info coming through the headphones, the massive #'s of targets to choose from, and the odds-on-favorites of what tends to be !!!!, vs, what tends to be round-coin-like-targets.

You do not get that amount of information from a cheapie machine.

Now ... granted, this is just one example. And , yes ... the explorer would get " spanked" in on other hunt locations, for other various reasons. But this just goes to show that there IS merit, for some locations, for the high end bells-&-whistles machines.

Needler, this is an excellent excellent question. If a person is angling for gold, (and not easier distinguished coppper/silver), then why oh why does he need a high-end bells-&-whistles machine ? Heck, he can get a Radio-shack cheapie, which "just as easily" tells you the foil & tab range (ie.: gold ring) target categories, right ? Heck, why not just get a pulse machine, and you're GUARANTEED not to miss any "gold" (never-mind that the devil is in the details). Good question. Let me answer by giving you a real-life scenario :

A local friend of mine wanted to get into md'ing. He was a demolition company owner, so ... as expected, would have "carte-blanche" to old-town demolition sites. And ... of course .... those are a relic-mind-set "dig-all" mentality, right ? (ie.: dig everything above iron tactic) . So I set him up with a 6000 Di pro, and a Shadow x2. Both of which are agile when it comes to various forms of hunting, and the shadow x2 sees through iron (ie.: eliminates masking) fairly well. Right ?

But then he and I started working a site, in a cultivated field, where a village existed in 1790 to 1820's. Naturally, since it was a "relic mindset", we "didn't need discrimination", right ? Except for knocking out iron, of course. At this site, I was using the Explorer II, and he was using his 6000 Di pro. And each hunt, I was spanking him on coins/buttons ratio @ 3 to 1. Yet our TARGET COUNT (when counting can slaw, etc...) was exactly the same.

So he accused me of "cherry picking". I denied it. I .... too.... was in "relic mindset" (ie.: dig everything that's not iron). So each of us was mystified as to why I was coming in with higher goodie counts. Eventually it became apparent to use : Since this was a virgin site (no lack of signals to choose from), I .... subconsciously ... must have began to gravitate to the "better sounding signals" . And ... subconsciously ... began to avoid the flitty sounding junky aluminum turd signals.

This was an agriculture field, so when I say "aluminum turd", I'm talking about how when a field worker tosses his can, and it becomes can-slaw over the years. Versus a coin-type target, stays ... hmmm... "distinct". And this is outside the realm of conductivity. Because some of the reales were were angling for, are indeed mid-conductors (very much within the TID of "mid-conductors"). But a full orchestra, tonal ID machine gives more info. Versus the 6000 Di pro, which is just a needle bounce . And since we were hunting at night (long story) he couldn't really avail himself of the needle-bounce location. But he DID know "conductive vs non-conductive".

So why was I spanking him, even though both of us were digging all conductors ? Because of the audio wealth of info coming through the headphones, the massive #'s of targets to choose from, and the odds-on-favorites of what tends to be !!!!, vs, what tends to be round-coin-like-targets.

You do not get that amount of information from a cheapie machine.

Now ... granted, this is just one example. And , yes ... the explorer would get " spanked" in on other hunt locations, for other various reasons. But this just goes to show that there IS merit, for some locations, for the high end bells-&-whistles machines.

But again all that does is help cherry pick silver and clad coins. Basically everything you described.

A equinox or Etrac would only get deeper signals on other precious metals is the only advantage vs a budget detector.None of them can distinguish gold, platinum, palladium.

And like someone else said high end machines pay them self off I beg to differ. I believe it's a matter of productivity. How often you detect etc. It would take a lot of clad and silver to pay off a equinox and Etrac.

Makes me wonder how many people who go to invest in these expensive machines actually did the research to know this. Or are they running around thinking they can find gold easier then a cheap detector. In reality all they get is a deeper signal if their coil is over it. They wouldn't know it's gold from a compadre to a bounty hunter to a equinox.

And honestly I probably pulled more silver coin roll hunting banks in just the last 4 months then anyone on this site has found in their lifetime of metal detecting. Counting silver finds only. Not the amount of clad and monetary value from all your finds added up. Unless someone found a treasure chest full of silver I probably got it beat.

A equinox or Etrac would only get deeper signals on other precious metals is the only advantage vs a budget detector.None of them can distinguish gold, platinum, palladium.

And like someone else said high end machines pay them self off I beg to differ. I believe it's a matter of productivity. How often you detect etc. It would take a lot of clad and silver to pay off a equinox and Etrac.

And honestly I probably pulled more silver coin roll hunting banks in just the last 4 months then anyone on this site has found in their lifetime of metal detecting.

You are ignoring that the Equinox and E-Trac are far better at seeing conductive targets mixed in iron trash when compared to cheap unit.

Second, people dont buy top end machine to clad hunt. Clad is a by-catch.

Your last statement is both laughably absurd as well as highly insulting. Clad hunting is a gamble and one that is constantly giving slimmer and slimmer odds. I measure my silver total by the pound, how about your CRH?

If you want advice, we are happy to help, but it seems lately that all you do is argue with those who answer your questions. I for one an done trying to help you. Good luck.

But again all that does is help cherry pick silver and clad coins. Basically everything you described.

And honestly I probably pulled more silver coin roll hunting banks in just the last 4 months then anyone on this site has found in their lifetime of metal detecting. Counting silver finds only. Not the amount of clad and monetary value from all your finds added up. Unless someone found a treasure chest full of silver I probably got it beat.

Love it! Reading you 5x5 here Needler! For me its all about the ROI! I'm in it to get rich quick and not have to work for a living! Subsistence Hunting! Pile on! :beers:

Clad is NOT a bycatch! Old silver is! A guy can go out and pul a merc dimes worth of pennies from the 'take a penny tray' down at the StopNRob every morning! Tell me I'm wrong!

You are ignoring that the Equinox and E-Trac are far better at seeing conductive targets mixed in iron trash when compared to cheap unit.

Second, people dont buy top end machine to clad hunt. Clad is a by-catch.

Your last statement is both laughably absurd as well as highly insulting. Clad hunting is a gamble and one that is constantly giving slimmer and slimmer odds. I measure my silver total by the pound, how about your CRH?

If you want advice, we are happy to help, but it seems lately that all you do is argue with those who answer your questions. I for one an done trying to help you. Good luck.

4.1 pounds of silver since July CHR.

I was going to say clad is not a by catch i'ts basically what your paying a $1,000 dollar detector for besides cherry picking silver you get to cherry pick the clad. It's the other precious metals that are by catch finds.

Someone said gold, platinum, palladium would fall under zinc. So it doesn't matter how better a detector is at seeing conductive targets masked with iron. You'd have to dig it with any detector to know if it's gold, platinum, or palladium making them by catch products. In the end the higher end detector pulls signals from greater depths is the only real advantage from my understanding and to cherry pick clad and silver.

Last edited:
4.1 pounds of silver since July CHR.

Cool! In your face Jason of Enid! You talking Avoirdupois or Gorgonzola Needler?? Seven minute abs! :laughing: These old silver babies just dont get it! A 12 pack of empty beer cans is worth a Merc dime here! A guy dont need no Minelab to find them either!

Waiting for the day when someone can say they've cleared $10,500 with their machine..

Until then, I'll keep my mid level ATP, because that's what it's found... Gold adds up way quicker..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom