How do I hunt this permission?

NC_Digger

Elite Member
>>>The stinkin photos didn't come through. I'll get them attached as soon as I can figure out what I screwed up. <<<

>>>Fixed. <<<

I was surfing old topo maps the other day and came across an old church that I knew doesn't exist today. I found it on maps from the early 1900's carrying the name of the property owners of the time and in the 20's as a local Baptist church but listed as closed on current maps (the ones that bother to show it). There's a family cemetery nearby (oldest stone 1887) that was eventually used by the church.

I traced the property description to a plat drawn in 1947 based on a survey from 1934 that separated the the church property from the property surrounding it. The M&B description refers to the "Old Road" (complete with quotes).

A little more research led me to the current property owners who live on the property. A knock on the door and 15-20 minutes of chatting with the owner and not only do I have permission #2 but I have more background on the property.

It seems the "Old Road" was once a major thoroughfare for the local horse and buggy traffic. The house the current owner lives in is listed as being built in 1941 but he told me that when he had some remodeling done years ago the carpenter doing the work told him that based on some of what he saw under the house the foundation at least is much older. He told the owner that it looked like it dates from the late 1800's. The current owner said he's been told that the preacher lived there.

Just down the "Old Road" are the remains of the church. The owner doesn't want anyone in the rubble as there's asbestos siding in the mix. Here's what the church and churchyard look like today.

DSCF0275.JPG
DSCF0276.JPG
DSCF0274.JPG

The owner also told me about a 1 room school house down the road from the church. The teacher lived upstairs. Here's what that looks like.

DSCF0269.JPG
DSCF0270.JPG

There's also the remains of a log structure that the owner failed to mention. It's located between the church and school. Here's what that looks like.

DSCF0271.JPG
DSCF0272.JPG
DSCF0273.JPG

The owner also said that he's been told that there was a blacksmith shop somewhere on the road but there's no structure left so that'll be something to hunt for.

The site could be a treasure trove of artifacts but it's going to be a PITA to hunt between the weeds trees and old rust scattered about.

My question to the forum is other than the obvious "carefully" how would you go about hunting an area like the one pictured?

Dennis

Last edited:
well...tread lightly...yes, your pics didnt pop up yet, but lets give this a lash...I'd start at the churchyard. I'd also take good care of the guy that granted you permission for all the rest, meaning, dont get overly excited about what you are finding, and bring along some gifts occasionally to show your appreciation, fresh vegetables, homebrew, you get the idea....

Some folks tend to get a bit squirrley if they think you are pulling 'valuables' off their land, 'taking advantage of them'...just say you need the exersize and show them bits of old iron and trash, help out with chores if needbe etc...become a welcomed/trustworthy visitor that adds a benefit to their life...

A place like this you have to just wade on into and see what the dirt is saying to you...sometimes just sit and ponder and look around all quiet to see if you can get the 'feel' of what was going on there 100+yrs ago...

It sounds like a cool place you can spend many an unfettered hour dinking around and enjoying yourself...thats a rare commodity...you may be the only person that ever gets the opportunity to hunt here, so dont blow it! Good on you for finding this site Dennis! Folks can get pretty stupid if you show them gold or silver, just saying,...you asked....also, never bring along a 'buddy'...that really creeps landowners out...just get in there and work it all by yourself, no matter how much I beg!:laughing: Duly warned!
Mud

well...tread lightly...yes, your pics didnt pop up yet, but lets give this a lash...I'd start at the churchyard. I'd also take good care of the guy that granted you permission for all the rest, meaning, dont get overly excited about what you are finding, and bring along some gifts occasionally to show your appreciation, fresh vegetables, homebrew, you get the idea....

Some folks tend to get a bit squirrley if they think you are pulling 'valuables' off their land, 'taking advantage of them'...just say you need the exersize and show them bits of old iron and trash, help out with chores if needbe etc...become a welcomed/trustworthy visitor that adds a benefit to their life...

A place like this you have to just wade on into and see what the dirt is saying to you...sometimes just sit and ponder and look around all quiet to see if you can get the 'feel' of what was going on there 100+yrs ago...

It sounds like a cool place you can spend many an unfettered hour dinking around and enjoying yourself...thats a rare commodity...you may be the only person that ever gets the opportunity to hunt here, so dont blow it! Good on you for finding this site Dennis! Folks can get pretty stupid if you show them gold or silver, just saying,...you asked....also, never bring along a 'buddy'...that really creeps landowners out...just get in there and work it all by yourself, no matter how much I beg!:laughing: Duly warned!
Mud

The pictures are there now so you can see what I'm up against.

The owner did give permission on the condition that I let him see what I find. I told him I'd be happy to share.

He also expressed an interest in detecting in general so I told him I'd bring my 2nd detector and he could join the hunt.

I asked him about bringing a 2nd person (detectorist?) with me and he said that'd be fine. ECULuke you reading this? :grin:

Id say hunt each location separately, start with the church for a few days, then move on to the school, then move onto the log cabin (any order would work) just work it slow and DIG ALL SIGNALS. Try a smaller coil that would help out immensely. Looks like you got a great spot.

GL&HH

I would definitely say divide and conquer! Spend plenty of time around each structure and dedicate a few days at each.

Congrats on finding a nice spot and possible bringing in a new detectorist!

Once you start you'll figure out a pattern especially when you've found the blacksmith shop and all the scrap. My suggestion would be to get after it before the vegetation is in full bloom and ticks are crawling all over you if it isn't to late already.

My jowls doth dripith with drool!

I'd suggest you step back and let me check it out first. (Purely for safety reasons, of course) LOL

Seriously first I would enjoy rambling aimlessly cherry picking, then I would take some string and fiberglass stakes and mark sections and hit it hard with a buddy.

Enjoy and good luck!

Ive hunted a bunch of old places like this. The church is probably where your better and easiest finds will come from , though not all churches have much to find. That is where I would concentrate most of my efforts though. These other old structures and areas do have potential to have some interesting finds scattered around but a lot of what is there will probably be rusty old junk and whatnots , possibly some worthwhile relics , but these people probably didn't have much , anything they did have was well taken care of or very well hidden. If super lucky there could be a cache somewhere but don't hold your breath. Be very careful of hidden holes or wells and plan every footstep , there are many dangers hidden in places like that. The church is the good score , the rest is interesting and worth hunting just because its there and nearby.

I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to concentrate on the churchyard as suggested. The rest of the property will be there in the fall if spring overtakes the available time on site. It's an early spring and it won't be long until Jake and his cohorts are hanging out in the shade of the poison ivy.

This summer I think I'll work my way down the "Old Road". If there was a blacksmith shop along it I ought to be able to find some sign.

I'm going to see if the owner will let me hit the churchyard with the trimmer and try to knock down the small stuff anyway. He told me that he's had a garden there in years past but it hasn't been planted for a few years.

I think I'm going to have to invest in a sniper coil for the ATP also. I have one for the F2 so it'll finally get put to use a little.

We'll see how it shakes out. I'm stoked.

I wouldtake along some gardening tools, like a heavy garden rake etc., clearout a area, detect it then repeat.

My advice is too keep the finds you want in one pocket and the finds to show the owner in the other pocket.Property owners have away of deciding they want to keep finds...you see it happen on these forums often.

Thanks for the rest of the replies.

The owner wants to be involved (I told him he could use my other detector) but the only day we're both off is Sunday so we haven't been able to hook up since he gave me permission. I'm shooting for getting together with him this Sunday but we'll see how that shakes out.

I've offered to bushhog the churchyard (a match would be faster :yes: ) . We're only a few miles apart and I can ease down a couple of country roads with the Massey Ferguson and knock it out in 20 minutes. We'll see how that shakes out too.

Unfortunately with the early spring we're experiencing the snakes & ticks are already starting move so we'll see how much I'm actually able to get done before smarts say wait till Fall.

Back
Top Bottom