Sand Shark

redbird

which is better ?
The 8 " or 10
And if one bought this used from someone who bought new within months can you still be warraunty for life?

For beach hunting the 10" coil will go deeper and cover more territory and since you'll be using a scoop, it doesn't really matter that much effort wise.

Tesoro warranties are not transferable but, at their discretion, they may fix things free of charge. Indeed, they have a pretty good track record of doing that, as long as the equipment has not been abused.

You are looking more at coverage or separation when you are talking coil size on a PI. Unlike a VLF the depth should remain the same since VLFs are more affected by minerals and amount of targets vs soil processed.

Dew

As a Sand Shark user, I disagree with the advice above. The 8" coil gives more than enough depth, is easier to pinpoint with, lighter, and moves through the water more easily. As far as covering more beach, the difference between an 8" and 10" coil is miniscule - not really even measurable.

As a beginner, I suggest the 8" coil, be SURE to use a coil cover - Good Luck!

As far as covering more beach, the difference between an 8" and 10" coil is miniscule - not really even measurable.

As a beginner, I suggest the 8" coil, be SURE to use a coil cover - Good Luck!

Apparently 2" is too miniscule to measure...

Just thinking about shallower targets, if you overlap by 50% every sweep, your coil is advancing 5" each sweep vs 4"... so every 12 sweeps is another foot of ground you covered with the 10" over the 8"... then you add in the fact that a 10" will reach deeper (which has proven true in all my tests), and have a wider footprint at any given depth... yeah I'd say the big coils win in the performance game.

Small coils are easier to sweep through the water, and easier to pinpoint with though...

Last edited:
9:01 - 1:04...that is how long it took for yet another Sand Shark thread to go south! :roll:;):p

Where and what type of hunting are you planing on? The more we know the better we can help.

Here's the SS warrantee right from their manual.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.
This instrument is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship as long as it is owned by the original consumer purchaser. This warranty is not transferable and is valid only if the warranty registration card has been completed and mailed within 10 days of purchase.
TESORO will, at its option, repair or replace any instrument covered by this warranty, without charge, except for transportation charges, at its factory in Prescott, Arizona.
This warranty excludes batteries, damage caused by leaky batteries, cable breakage due to flexing on body mount units, and wear of the searchcoil housing. Also excluded are instruments which have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized party.

Dont mean to start trouble... just regular beach wading hunting I plan to do
Thanks all for replies

Dont mean to start trouble... just regular beach wading hunting I plan to do
Thanks all for replies

Unlike a discriminating detector where you might get better signals between iron/trash. A pi you'll dig it all anyways. Me, i'd opt for the 10" coil. If you got shoulder problems and knee problems i'd opt for the 8". I use a dualfield with a 12" coil. And don't dig that deep every day. If you are younger,depth isn't an issue digging every day. I dug ditches for sewer lines for over 25 years straight. Some days China isn't as appealing:lol:

Apparently 2" is too miniscule to measure...

Just thinking about shallower targets, if you overlap by 50% every sweep, your coil is advancing 5" each sweep vs 4"... so every 12 sweeps is another foot of ground you covered with the 10" over the 8"... then you add in the fact that a 10" will reach deeper (which has proven true in all my tests), and have a wider footprint at any given depth... yeah I'd say the big coils win in the performance game.

Small coils are easier to sweep through the water, and easier to pinpoint with though...

Look, don't confuse Terry with the facts. After all, he is a Sand Shark user. :roll:

8 or 10" which is better depends on where you are. I own both and like both. When the gulf is flat I use the 10" if any wave action or merky water I use the 8" model. 10" detects a little deeper and I have a straight shaft on it. Call me if I can help. Thanks, phil

Look, don't confuse Terry with the facts. After all, he is a Sand Shark user. :roll:

Umm, Rudy when did you last swing a Sand Shark? :?:

I'm at a loss as to why or how an "Admistrator" could make a post like yours. You have no clue about using the Sand Shark, yet you are willing to bash me and my advice. I have years of experience with both the 8" and 10" Sand Shark, and gave the OP my opinion. :cool:

Umm, Rudy when did you last swing a Sand Shark? :?:

Umm, Terry, about as recently as you have swung all the other PIs out there.

I'm at a loss as to why or how an "Admistrator" could make a post like yours. You have no clue about using the Sand Shark, yet you are willing to bash me and my advice. I have years of experience with both the 8" and 10" Sand Shark, and gave the OP my opinion. :cool:

Well, I'll tell you. As a degreed electrical engineer who spent his first 10 years working on electromagnetic devices, I think I have more of a clue about the magnetic fields generated by a coil than you have. Your inability to discern a depth difference between the 8" and the 10" coil is anecdotal. It is pretty fundamental that the 10" coil, for the same applied current (which you can adjust through the pulse width control), will produce a larger magnetic field at a given depth, than the 8" coil will produce. Don't take my word for it, you can work it out for yourself using Jefimenko's equations, or do the easier calculation assuming the peak magneto-static condition and then use the Biot Savart equation.

So I think I am entitled to my opinion, which are based on considerable experience in electromagnetics.

Amazing how I've seen two admins on the FRIENDLY forum get in a pissin match with a member.

Way to set a good example guys!!! Tht's what I call LEADERS!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom