Rip tide area distinctive gold and tiny silver

samclemmons

Forum Supporter
Went out last night to where the ocean had parted a sandbar and created a rip tide through the hole. The current was real strong waist deep and the breakers were coming over my head every once in a while. Trying to stay on the target was a challenge to say the least... what a work out. The bottom was cleared in spots with rocks and shell beds separated by mounds of soft sand. The goldie was easily a foot down in the shells and took all of 10 minutes to bring up.

Attachments

• CAM00109paircross.jpg
    CAM00109paircross.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 302
  • CAM00108cross.jpg
    CAM00108cross.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 300
Yeah our water was too rough to try one yesterday. I was to the right and saw two children first, then one adult within 10 minutes get swepted out. A surfer saved the two kids on his long board.:yes:

Nice gold! Well fought! We sometimes get ourselves in those situations and sometimes it pays off. You decribed it so very well. Please don't get to bold and get hurt or worse.
GL HH BH

One fine gold ring there Friend!!:thumbsup:

You seem comfortable hunting out there in the "iffy" water.

Take care so I can continue to enjoy your posts,

CJ

Great catch there, is that 3.4 or 34 grams? I'm not preaching....but you've got to be really careful working a rip...

One fine gold ring there Friend!!:thumbsup:

You seem comfortable hunting out there in the "iffy" water.

Take care so I can continue to enjoy your posts,

CJ
Hey CoJ,
I am a diver but don't do it much anymore. I know my limitations and I understand and respect tides, currents and the vagaries of the ocean. While some of my hunts are done in questionable conditions I never put myself at any more risk than on any other hunt in the water. All water hunts carry risk. Believe me when I say that I wouldn't give a thought to dumping my gear and getting safe if the worm turned.

Great catch there, is that 3.4 or 34 grams? I'm not preaching....but you've got to be really careful working a rip...
This particular rip was so well defined that I could stand in waist deep water and stick the coil into the current. I was hunting the back side of this thing where it was drawing a butt load of sand off the bottom along the shore for about 50 yards and then an abrupt right turn toward open ocean. I crossed the current farther down and hunted the water side of the elbow. It was difficult but never worrisome. 3.4 grams... had trouble getting a decent angle on the ring for the pic.

Went back to the spot this afternoon and recovered and... lost a gold wedding band. NO picture but it HAPPENED!

Hey CoJ,
I am a diver but don't do it much anymore. I know my limitations and I understand and respect tides, currents and the vagaries of the ocean. While some of my hunts are done in questionable conditions I never put myself at any more risk than on any other hunt in the water. All water hunts carry risk. Believe me when I say that I wouldn't give a thought to dumping my gear and getting safe if the worm turned.

Yeah that is a bit different than when Midas was giving tips on how to do it. I still cringe thinking about some new atpro buyer reading his post and heading for the most dangerous part of the ocean. Never to be heard from again!:no:

Back
Top Bottom