Anybody out there trained in sigillography?

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
Sigillography (the science and study of seals):D
Found this lead Bale Seal a couple weeks ago and was wondering if anybody has an idea how old it is. The design is fairly clear but can't make out the image.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_210146.jpg
    IMG_20180925_210146.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 873
  • IMG_20180925_210134.jpg
    IMG_20180925_210134.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
I don't know anything other than I've never found a lead seal so ornate..it's like a coin..that's neat...

The seal is nearly upside down in the photo.

Can read "SON & CO: NEW YORK"

Too bad the name before 'SON' is missing.

Also can not figure out what the image in the center is.

Nice seal however.

I don't know anything other than I've never found a lead seal so ornate..it's like a coin..that's neat...
This is my first and had no idea what it was till Michdig enlightened me.

The seal is nearly upside down in the photo.

Can read "SON & CO: NEW YORK"

Too bad the name before 'SON' is missing.

Also can not figure out what the image in the center is.

Nice seal however.
Thanks waltr, yea interesting image, wish I could tell what it is.

That's an awesome seal.
Hope you can find some info...
Thanks HD

The Colchester site will feature seal finds from England, I believe, so New York company seals will likely not be found there. I gave a handful of seals given to me by a detecting friend here near Boston who has found seals locally and in England on his many trips there. I’ll take a peek at them to see if any are the same as yours.
Jim

The First Letter of the name is a "P" so it narrows it down for you to 1/26th of the alphabet. :D "P____son and Co." The center appears to be some kind of bird to me, but that is only an impression. Could be any animal I guess? You might show added detail on the seal by sidelighting it in a photo and posting that as well. Good Luck. Neat Find.

Attachments

• seal2 resize.jpg
    seal2 resize.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 453
That's what i saw too, a bird of prey with a fish. At least I think it's a fish - the tail being cut off from the image makes me think I might be imagining a fish though.

The Colchester site will feature seal finds from England, I believe, so New York company seals will likely not be found there. I gave a handful of seals given to me by a detecting friend here near Boston who has found seals locally and in England on his many trips there. I’ll take a peek at them to see if any are the same as yours.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I took a closer look at it and can make out in small letters RADE right at the very top, which more than likely reads TRADE and at the bottom just above YORK there is a REG. on it

The First Letter of the name is a "P" so it narrows it down for you to 1/26th of the alphabet. :D "P____son and Co." The center appears to be some kind of bird to me, but that is only an impression. Could be any animal I guess? You might show added detail on the seal by sidelighting it in a photo and posting that as well. Good Luck. Neat Find.

Thanks mikey, I can make out a E right after the P. here's a couple more pics
that a bit more detail

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 443
That's what i saw too, a bird of prey with a fish. At least I think it's a fish - the tail being cut off from the image makes me think I might be imagining a fish though.

Thanks Franz, I can't make heads or tails on this one no matter which way I look at it.

Ok.. maybe I'm not crazy..or we both are.. I see the same thing

It is a real puzzle. There is pretty good detail there, but it doesn't look like
anything I can recognize.

I believe it says "trade" at the top of the second image above the unknown logo material at the center.

Attachments

• seal015.800.jpg
    seal015.800.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 429
  • seal001.800.jpg
    seal001.800.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 425
It is a real puzzle. There is pretty good detail there, but it doesn't look like
anything I can recognize.

I believe it says "trade" at the top of the second image above the unknown logo material at the center.

It does say RADE just missing the T and just above the YORK I see REG.

Pretty sure that’s a bird, maybe an eagle. Not sure about the fish though but bald eagles are fish eaters. The word trade appears in the inner circle, with the bird. Definitely better details in the later photos. Good job with that. Still want to take a look at the handful of seals I was given a few months ago, though this one doesn’t ring a bell.
Jim

Checked my seals - No match

I just looked thru the bag of more than 60 lead baling seals and found nothing close to the one you've posted here. I had a few duplicates and a good diversity of sizes and embossings. I've included a few photos; one showing the whole group, then 6 closer up photos of different sections of the group, just in case readers were interested in the kind of variety that might be found out there.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 588
I just looked thru the bag of more than 60 lead baling seals and found nothing close to the one you've posted here. I had a few duplicates and a good diversity of sizes and embossings. I've included a few photos; one showing the whole group, then 6 closer up photos of different sections of the group, just in case readers were interested in the kind of variety that might be found out there.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it. That is a lot of seals.

Back
Top Bottom