• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

nox 800 stock coil or 6 inch or 15 inch, please explain

bbqfreak

Forum Supporter
just got back into hobby after many years away. bought a nox 800. i am into coins and beach hunting do not relic hunt. still learning my machine but love it so far. this forum will help me i am sure. i need people to explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of the 6 and 15 inch coils, for what i do what will those coils help me to detect better then the stock one? thanks in advance, bbqfreak

The big one covers more area and will get a bit deeper but won't pick up the really tiny stuff so great.
The small one is better for hunting through trash, iron and garbage and picks up tiny targets better, target separation is what is important in areas like the and sniper coils do that better and easier.
The stock coil lives in both worlds a bit, it is the stock size because it can do a little of what both of the specialty coils can do.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

The basic difference will be the 6" does best in trashy sites where good targets could be masked by nearby junk. I believe the 6" would also handle the ground minerals a bit better due to less soil under the coil to analyze.

The 15" would be a nice deep coil and will cover ground quicker than the smaller ones. You can roughly figure the depth based on coil size. A 6" goes roughly 6", a 10" roughly 10, and the 15" would go roughly 15" deep but it has a lot more dirt to deal with under the coil because it is bigger. Generally 11-12" is more in the range of a 15" coil in average soil.

First of all these are DD coils so think of your transmit and receive signal as a blade, perhaps 1" thick running the length of the coil. So first would be the amount of ground you can cover, the 15" would cover over twice as much as the 6" of course. So the adverse affect of ground coverage is getting multiple items in that band which can confuse your processor and skew, your tone, VDI or both. The other thing besides coverage most like like or prefer from the larger coil is additional depth, conversely this increases the opportunity of multiple targets again.

That being said, the supposed speed of the Equinox is designed to get the processor on track quicker and ready to receive the signal again so to speak, much quicker.

My personal assessment, would be to opt for the 15. Especially if you are not hunting old home sights, where the iron can pull your target info low enough to make you think it's a junk target.

As you use a larger coil become more accepting of variance in ID's

Explanation

6 inch will be good in heavy iron, multible targets, school yards a plus, the 15 inch will be good at the beach , more coverage , and will get the small targets just like the 17 Ctx3030 coil, the 6 is currently hard to get, the 15 un- available, been waiting over 6 months , i would only buy a coil due to your style of hunting, most likely i will only purchase the 15, as i have a 6 coil and 2 - 17s for the Ctx , however i like the Equinox lightness at the beach, so the 15 will be a nice addition hopefully October both coils will be available, but dont hold your breath , Earl

No

You wont normally see the price till the distributor's get them in stock to sell, than you will see a price , i think the 6 goes for 189.00, so i would imagine the 15 around the 200.00 range .

Back
Top Bottom