The old fairgrounds is MINE!

Kerry

The old fairgrounds are MINE!

Our county fairgrounds has just been moved to a newer, larger location. This property has been the site of the fair since 1935. Well the County Sheriff's department next door bought the property and are in the process of clearing the land. I just noticed today the bleachers are gone, and I can still tell where all the concession stands and carnival rides were. I went over to the jail to ask permission to hunt it and there was no one there. (This is a small town and I guess the sheriff goes home at 5:00!)

Anyway I found their website and emailed the sheriff for permission, doubting I would hear anything. But I just got an email from him and he said he didn't see a problem in it and no one would bother me! I am so psyched!! I can't wait to get out there tomorrow!

(I gotta remember to vote for that guy next election!)

I'm sure you will find tons of trash, but if you're patient and take your time through it all, I would imagine there will many keepers to be had. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

No updates yet -- we've had steady rain today so I didn't get over there. If its nice in the morning I will go-- its only a mile away as the crow flies. And I plan on going a lot - a new complex is planned there with groundbreaking in spring 2008.

Well the rain moved out and I went over to the fairgrounds for a couple hours. What a disappointment. It actually left me baffled. I didn't pick up as much as a pull tab. The one signal I got was a rusty bolt laying on the ground. I started where the old bleachers stood, then went over to the midway, and ended up where the concession stands stood. Not one signal. I even switched modes several times thinking it was that. I just don't get it. I thought it would at least be full of junk.

I left there and went over to the high school. The football field is locked, so I went over to a patio area where the students congregate. Its landscaped with mulch, plus lots of grassy areas - and scads of signals to dig. A lot of them were foil wrappers. I will definately go back after I get a pinpointer. BTW, did you read my post about my hubby and I trying to buy a pipe finder so we could make our own? Just hasn't been a very productive day. :(

Back
Top Bottom