Bypassed highways idea

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
On one of the other sites here the poster IFINDPENNIe posted about an old long gone camp he's doing. That got me to remembering something you all might want to try.
Along in our country's history someone decided to start bypassing cities & towns so traffic could zip byand not be slowed down. Well I worked over the old neglected highway in my town and had a great amount of luck digging old coins & stuff.
I would think if you get an old map of your area and compare it to a current one you should see the bypassed areas. Old motels with pools, old camp cabins, old gas & food stores, etc. They are either remodeled for recent business ; sitting as they were when abandoned, or torn down. I have had good finds in the torn down area's lots.
Good luck, get those maps out, Steve in so az

Great idea Steve. The old US routes would be a starting place. They were the nations hi-ways before the interstates took over and had many of the places you mentioned. I've noted a few spots down US1 here in Florida. US1 runs all the way up and down the east coast and was a major route for east coast vacations prior to the interstate system.

Back
Top Bottom