Follow up on the cellphone ....asked a few cops this morning...plus a video of what might happen....

Bud-sc

https://youtu.be/Ke4JvuqaeVM

Talked to a few police officers this morning and they told me the same thing best thing to do is turn them in to the lifeguard or to the hotel front desk. If they are called out to your house to pick up a cellphone by the owner it may cost you a ton of money in legal fees...

Like I said not worth the headache...I know a few of us would be looking at maybe a reward if we find there cellphones but in the last few years here people want even give you a thank you or anything. That goes for rings ,keys, ect.... People are getting more rude 😡. Yes it's the younger generation. One thing for sure the ring finder's are making a killing because they can said it's a finder's fee that has to be paid and they have a LLC to back them up.

im sorry thats BS!! you still were doing the right thing just because you brought it home your a theif WTH!!!!!:D

There are a lot of laws on the books rarely enforced. First and for most ....intend has to be proven. Most cops would just ask you for the phone...and you would explain how you got it...he takes it ...gives it to them. There is a common sense rule most cops follow.

Bud, Re.: asking the police this question: Me thinks you are the latest victim of the psychology of "safe answer" and "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

For example, this statement by the police (I assume) :

If they are called out to your house to pick up a cellphone by the owner it may cost you a ton of money in legal fees....

Ok, can you cite any incident, of an md'r attempting to reunite a cell-phone, that "cost the the md'r a ton of legal fees" ? I will give you a crisp $100 bill for each incident you can cite. Yet ... I will hear only the sound of crickets.

AT UTMOST WORST we have a few "ingrate" stories. That 1) aren't the norm, and 2) resulted in a few crossed eyebrows at worst, and 3) shouldn't rule your life, in-lieu of the far-more-numerous rewarding pleasant stories.

It's like shark attack stories: No one remembers the 1,000,000 safe swims. You only remember the headline of the shark attack. Right ? So guess what you fear the next time you swim ? So too is it with this silly supposed fear we're supposed to have with re-uniting cell-phones.

Hence, asking the police this question of the caliber of "what can happen..." : Well ... sure .... Anyone (lawyers, cops, etc...) can paint a "safe answer" scenario. And a skittish person will run and hide.

C'mon, let's all just toss our class rings and cell-phone back in the ocean, eh ? Because ... most certainly .... everyone's waiting to pounce on us and hate us and mug us, eh ?

But then the next time we have a flat tire alongside the road, we're more-than-willing to accept the help of a good Samaritan that passes us by, eh ?

... Most cops would just ask you for the phone...and you would explain how you got it...

what ? Not tons of legal fees ? Not jail cells with Bubba ?? And not happening every time you try to be a nice guy ?? SAY IT ISN'T SO !!

Bud, Re.: asking the police this question: Me thinks you are the latest victim of the psychology of "safe answer" and "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

For example, this statement by the police (I assume) :

Ok, can you cite any incident, of an md'r attempting to reunite a cell-phone, that "cost the the md'r a ton of legal fees" ? I will give you a crisp $100 bill for each incident you can cite. Yet ... I will hear only the sound of crickets.

AT UTMOST WORST we have a few "ingrate" stories. That 1) aren't the norm, and 2) resulted in a few crossed eyebrows at worst, and 3) shouldn't rule your life, in-lieu of the far-more-numerous rewarding pleasant stories.

It's like shark attack stories: No one remembers the 1,000,000 safe swims. You only remember the headline of the shark attack. Right ? So guess what you fear the next time you swim ? So too is it with this silly supposed fear we're supposed to have with re-uniting cell-phones.

Well I will never take another phone home if you want to that's left up to you. I drop it off with either lifeguard or at the Hotel front desk. I can care less if the cops came or not it's the first crazy person that comes flying off the handle. These people this day in time don't care and those one the ones you have to watch out for. It's like I told my wife it's not the cops I am worried about it's the idiot that lost his/her phone to begin with. The people that come here on vacation have no manners, no respect.

what ? Not tons of legal fees ? Not jail cells with Bubba ?? And not happening every time you try to be a nice guy ?? SAY IT ISN'T SO !!

Dang Tom who lite a fire under your feet? Most of the officers I knew as a magistrate would not waste the paperwork in an attempt to get a warrant.

I think I will leave this one to the experts.

I will still do what I want

Here is the best advice I can give.

When is it a good time to talk to a police officer?

NEVER

.... Most of the officers I knew as a magistrate would not waste the paperwork in an attempt to get a warrant.

And that was my point ! (done tongue-in-cheek ) . That the rare ingrate stories would/will *not* result in any legal actions, when we try to repatriate.

I think I will leave this one to the experts.

I will still do what I want ....

Scuba-detector : As a hunter with scores of repatriation stories (including phones) : Does the factors of this post (the ingrate story or two) change your future plans with phones ?

BTW : This similar topic has come up regarding class rings being researched and returns. Once in a blue moon an ingrate story comes up. But the consensus seems to have been: For those who like to track-down and-return: The occasional ingrate stories (even legal ones) don't sway them.

But here's the question of the day on this subject. If the owner located it through the Apple website, why wasn't HE out there wading in the water to find it?

Roger

Scuba-detector : As a hunter with scores of repatriation stories (including phones) : Does the factors of this post (the ingrate story or two) change your future plans with phones ?

BTW : This similar topic has come up regarding class rings being researched and returns. Once in a blue moon an ingrate story comes up. But the consensus seems to have been: For those who like to track-down and-return: The occasional ingrate stories (even legal ones) don't sway them.

My plans with phones won't change at all. I would love for a cop to knock on my door! i don't run. If a phone is lost in dry sand the find my phone app will work. If lost underwater it will NOT. Radio waves do not penetrate water.

If I find one and it is working I always return them. BUT I do it on my time and when I have nothing else to do. No cop has ever been called on me yet.

If they do and one comes to my door, I will have a ton of fun!

You folks that are intimidated by the police do not have a clue as to what they really can and cannot do. It is that way by design. Intimidation and threats work in an officers favor even it it is all a bluff.

As I said, When is it a good time to talk to an officer?

That would be NEVER.

My plans with phones won't change at all. I would love for a cop to knock on my door! i don't run. If a phone is lost in dry sand the find my phone app will work. If lost underwater it will NOT. Radio waves do not penetrate water.

If I find one and it is working I always return them. BUT I do it on my time and when I have nothing else to do. No cop has ever been called on me yet.

If they do and one comes to my door, I will have a ton of fun!

You folks that are intimidated by the police do not have a clue as to what they really can and cannot do. It is that way by design. Intimidation and threats work in an officers favor even it it is all a bluff.

As I said, When is it a good time to talk to an officer?

That would be NEVER.

Like I said I can care less if the local boys came here to my house. That doesn't worry me its the crazy butt that my buddy had came to his house!!! What would do if you had someone bang on your door telling you he wants his phone back now!!! It's the crazy people we have to put up with here....

Lol

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: , Just returned one today , finder's fee, reward will buy me a nice dinner out tonight , take Scuba's advice , because your wrong . ;)

Attachments

• P1010093.JPG
    P1010093.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 517
Back
Top Bottom