• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

diggin the "iffys" reaps gold and big Barber silver! #32 FTY

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
So earlier this week I dug my first war 2 nickels ever by digging some signals in a curb strip that I was 99.9% positive were aluminum pull tabs or beaver tails. After using my Equinox for almost a year, I have become ambivalent to signals that were "iffy" , instead choosing to hunt for high tone targets that show some depth. As a result of this cherry picking, I have no doubt passed over some good stuff, insisting to believe that the signals weren't worth digging. I have also dug significantly less trash. But I have also dug far fewer " interesting targets such as junk rings, dog tags, keys, tokens , etc. So after the war nickel success, i went out today with a full day planned and determined to dig the iffy nickel signals and anything non ferrous that showed even a little depth. and of course any high tones i happened to stumble across.
The results are shown in the pics below. I spent the morning on the curbstrips and the afternoon at the old park where i know I have passed over countless "iffy signals. I don't know how many times I bent down to dig, probe or pinpoint a target. The clad and junk tell that story. One of my first "iffy" nickels turned out to be the chunky gold ring. It was fairly deep and was jumpy 12-14 in all directions. Even with a loupe, you can barely make out the 14K stamp. If I said I didn't do the gold dance, I would be lying.
The big Barber was not an iffy signal, It was a solid, though faint 32 in all directions, and a deep on the depth meter as possible. She is stained and worn after being buried for 100 years. When i pulled her out of the hole, i wasn't sure what i was even seeing, Disbelief and then a sense of awe came over me when realized what i had just unearthed. This is my second silver half ever, and my first Barber half.
This was a very tiring but incredible day. Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• junk 8-24-19.jpg
    junk 8-24-19.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 14k nugget ring2 8-24-19.jpg
    14k nugget ring2 8-24-19.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 14k nugget ring 8-24-19.jpg
    14k nugget ring 8-24-19.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 1908 barber half dollar heads-24-19.jpg
    1908 barber half dollar heads-24-19.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 1908 barber half dollar tails 8-24-19.jpg
    1908 barber half dollar tails 8-24-19.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 265
  • clad 8-24-19.jpg
    clad 8-24-19.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Nice save on the Barber half and the gold ring is a beauty. I dig most mid-tones with my 800 and as of late my nickel count is way up although a few rings as well but junkers, I have yet to dig gold with it. Great hunt. HH Mark

A guy like me will look at this in terms of ratios. You're digging 25k treasure units* to .5k trash units*. You win!!

*I made up those values.

Gold and Silver! It does not get any better Montana. Congrats on the Gold Ring and a very nice Barber. You might want to change your Silver coin count as you reported #31 in you last thread. That would make it #32 with this Barber.:yes:. Very impressive. Trapper

Congrats on the both the big barber and the nice gold ring! I dig a LOT of iffy signals and it pays off.

Congrats! Found my first Barber half about two weeks ago!
Thanks this was second silver half and this one I got to take home with me!
Very nice duo. Congratulations!
Thanks !
awesome hunt congrats :D
Thanks!
Nice! That big silver is still out there.
Apparently so. Hope I can find another some day!
Wow some really nice digs, congrats on the barber and the gold nugget ring!
Thanks you, this was my first gold of the year and only my second ever!
Nice ring
It is a cool ring. Too small for anyone in my family, but i will take it anyway.
Nice save on the Barber half and the gold ring is a beauty. I dig most mid-tones with my 800 and as of late my nickel count is way up although a few rings as well but junkers, I have yet to dig gold with it. Great hunt. HH Mark
Thanks Mark, I will be going back over ground I have hunted extensively, digging more junk and hopefully more goodies
A guy like me will look at this in terms of ratios. You're digging 25k treasure units* to .5k trash units*. You win!!

*I made up those values.
I cherry picked my hunts and although my silver count went way up, I will give the machine and the locations credit. Now that i realize that i am missing some good stuff, i expect my trash units to go wayyyy up!
Awesome finds MT! That gold ring looks good and ditto with the Big Barber!
Thanks. I thought nothing could beat the sight of shiny in the hole, but now I'm not so sure......
Congrats on your first big Barber, the gold and the rest...excellent hunt!
Thanks Captain!
Congrats man, awesome finds!
Thanks !
Gold and Silver! It does not get any better Montana. Congrats on the Gold Ring and a very nice Barber. You might want to change your Silver coin count as you reported #31 in you last thread. That would make it #32 with this Barber.:yes:. Very impressive. Trapper
You are right, it is 32 . I was so tired when posted this, Thanks for keeping me straight. This was a great week for me. More to report from today!
Congrats on the gold and the big old silver half! You had a spectacular hunt with the results to show for it.
Thanks !
Congrats on the both the big barber and the nice gold ring! I dig a LOT of iffy signals and it pays off.
It sure did for me today.I will be digging more iffys and more junk but hopefully more goodies too!
I'm going to have to start digging those iffy signals again...I gave up after about 3,235 pull tabs...
I gave up too until i finally dug two war nickels that were not typicall Nox nickel signals .(my first ones ever)
Way to go congrats! I need to find more pull tabs
Im sure i will start finding lots more again. ( pull tabs that is.....)
Hell of of a day congrats!
it was long, sweaty and very worth it.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom