What else wont a metal detector not detect?

digfl

Forum Supporter
Another newbie question. As my guides suggested I took several pieces of jewelry out side to test with. We wanted to listen to the sounds of various pieces. This includes two machines my MineLab’s Xcal II and my daughters Whites Beach 300.

Everything was as expected until we tried my wife's tennis bracelet neither machine made so much as a sound even with disc off on the ML and AM on the 300. :?: Thoughts? I know maybe the bracelet is plastic but I don't think so. It was bought several years ago and it is worn often and would appear to be 14k as indicated on the claps. Neither machine would pick it up I even tried closing it to make a loop.

Thanks for you guidance.
Digfl.

Attachments

• IMG_6895.JPG
    IMG_6895.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 331
From Ralph @ Sun Ray Detector
Chains are sometimes hard to detect. They consist of many individual links. Unless chains are tangled, or have built up a halo effect, metal detectors can only pick up the individual links, not the complete mass. So if the individual links can be detected (or the largest bit, eg the clasp), the chain will be detected, fine chains with small catches are often impossible for metal detectors to detect.

This could explain it, but I would think the braclet would come up though. Try curling it into a small loop and see what happens.

U would think it would pick it up.

May be your settings.

My $70 Compadre will pick up tiny gold chains.

I have two MD's that are more sensative than

tha Compadre. I have found lots of chains and

chained bracelets.

HH,

Tabdog

mixed mode

I believe I heard an expert say that having "mixed mode" on will give a better target signal than if it's off. He was helping the police find money thrown from a car, and could visibly see a roll of quarters, but it was a horrible signal (if any) with mixed mode off. I don't know if you have that option on your detector, but it's on my DFX.

emdees

You should get a signal from a substantial bracelet..sometimes you'll be lucky to get a blip from a real thin one..RR

Good info FX!! :yes::yes:

Now I get it.....that is why I have not found those gold bracelets on the beach!!:roll:;):lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom