I've done the impossible!!!

Joshc214

That's right! I found a 1940 silver mercury dime on my ocean night hunt today :) I know for you west coast and north east guys this isn't a big deal, but down here in south florida this just doesn't happen...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1487300007482.jpg
    FB_IMG_1487300007482.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 710
  • FB_IMG_1487300021150.jpg
    FB_IMG_1487300021150.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 704
  • FB_IMG_1487300029170.jpg
    FB_IMG_1487300029170.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 712
  • FB_IMG_1487300037939.jpg
    FB_IMG_1487300037939.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 717
:dingding: You get the ringer for that as I know what you've accomplished!

Thats a strange find in your area alright! Theres far more Spanish coins there than Mercs! I bet a migrating Maneater Shark like the Mattawan Monster pooped it out on his way to Cuba!

Take this strange find as a warning! You can think about this theory as you are out there hunting, up to your chest, at night...:laughing:

Nice work on the Merc!

Thanks silver!

Congrats on the nite time silver , HH

Thanks Ricki!

Love them Mercs! Congrats!

Thanks! Didn't even realize I had it til I got home and was sorting everything out.

merc dimes are the prettiest coins they ever made :p

Yeah, I agree. This is also my first silver coin I've ever found. I don't do any dry land hunting, so their much harder to come by.

:dingding: You get the ringer for that as I know what you've accomplished!

Thanks Felix! Strange how you pulled that buffalo last week, and now I found this little guy...

Thats a strange find in your area alright! Theres far more Spanish coins there than Mercs! I bet a migrating Maneater Shark like the Mattawan Monster pooped it out on his way to Cuba!

Take this strange find as a warning! You can think about this theory as you are out there hunting, up to your chest, at night...:laughing:

Guess I'd rather take my chances as shark bait than not hunt lol some may call it crazy, others plain stupid... but I couldn't care less, even after that small encounter a few weeks ago. Statistically I have a better chance at getting killed by a falling coconut than a shark attack here in south florida :laughing:

:cheers: here's to the Mattawan Monster for pooping out my first silver coin!

Thanks Felix! Strange how you pulled that buffalo last week, and now I found this little guy...

I had thought the exact same thing! I've pulled a Merc from a beach a few years back but not from the water. It was inland a bit and unusual flooding had taken a lot of sand out from the area I found it.

:laughing::laughing:

Right? The 'Mattawan Monster Merc!' It gives that coin a bit of flair and interesting or valuable pedigree...there is no other explanation that makes any sense!...Sharks live forever...so yeah..some shark gobbled up a NJ creek swimming kid, back in the 50's I would imagine, meandered his way on down to the warm Gulf in the traditional 'shark transit' route...and then pooped out what wasnt dissolved off shore of your beach!...including ice cream money, Boyscout knife, little orphan Annie decoder ring, Red Ball Jet sneaker grommets...You found the ice cream money! Which is what you got there!

So yeah! thats a huge historic find! One in a million! Pop that dime up on Ebay! "Mattawan Monster Merc for sale, $1500" What other story makes any sense? Damn sharks!

Congrats! Keep looking! No telling what Matthew rolled up!

Thanks Kapi! I'll keep at it... Maybe we'll get lucky and get another hurricane this year???

You are so right. Congrats on the hard find.

Thanks Coinshark! I've made it a point to check every coin I find, just in case... this merc dime was easy enough to id though

Right? The 'Mattawan Monster Merc!' It gives that coin a bit of flair and interesting or valuable pedigree...there is no other explanation that makes any sense!...Sharks live forever...so yeah..some shark gobbled up a NJ creek swimming kid, back in the 50's I would imagine, meandered his way on down to the warm Gulf in the traditional 'shark transit' route...and then pooped out what wasnt dissolved off shore of your beach!...including ice cream money, Boyscout knife, little orphan Annie decoder ring, Red Ball Jet sneaker grommets...You found the ice cream money! Which is what you got there!

So yeah! thats a huge historic find! What other story makes any sense? Damn sharks!

:laughing: you and your stories lmao

great job that's something you just don't find here, your right I see people on this forum on northern beaches pulling out old silver coins and I'm like what the hey! best you can do here is jewelry.:grin:

Right? The 'Mattawan Monster Merc!' It gives that coin a bit of flair and interesting or valuable pedigree...there is no other explanation that makes any sense!...Sharks live forever...so yeah..some shark gobbled up a NJ creek swimming kid, back in the 50's !

Yea, that shark meandered up the Jersey coast in July 1916 munching on a few human morsels before swimming around Sandy Hook and entering the creeks heading sound inland and lunching on two more victims killing them and then enjoying an afternoon snack of a human leg. These creeks are not much more than large deep streams, places young boys would spend the day swimming, playing Tom Sawyer, making swings, and rafts and such.

That was one hungry shark.

It was a major idea behind Peter Benchly's Jaws book/movie.

Back
Top Bottom