• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Skin cancer

Aquaman

Elite Member
Another clear skin checkup!

We are out in the sun...alot. Metal detectorists are at an increased risk of developing problems if we dont get yearly (possibly 2x/year) skin inspections by a DERMATOLOGIST. If you have that mole or dark spot that scabs over, you need to get it evaluated. Skin cancer is a TERRIBLE way to die! If you have a family member that developed melanoma, you are at higher risk. Dark skin doesn't give you a pass. Sunscreen is not a cure all.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of your flesh. Just bite the bullet and make that appointment. Develop a good relationship with a dematologist with an excellent reputation and you will sleep better.

The doctors told me my vitamin D is in the toilet. Said I don't get enough sun. I thought that was really strange as much as I play underwater and on land all summer long. I am always outside. Now I have to take pills for it. Strange.

Thanks for the warning

Good for you Aquaman!

Just had my checkup today also, clean bill of health. I'm 55 and had a small melanoma removed from my nostril area about three years ago. I've done the chemo cream on my nose last year, as I had a small pre-cancerous area that I couldn't get rid of. Aquaman is right, skin cancer is nothing to mess around with. My doctors have told me the most sun damage was probably done when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I've worked and played outside for years, but now I wear a wide-brimmed hat and use sun screen whenever possible.

AM- thanks for posting this for everyone to read and to then make that appointment with a dermatologist. I cheated death 15 years ago when my brilliant doctor spotted something he didn't like and had it biopsied. It turned out to be malignant melanoma. Was out of work for 2 months recovering from the surgery. Yep, damage most likely done when I was young and in the sun 24/7. That is one yearly checkup I do not miss.

Jerry

You are so correct. I'm Italian and very, okay very very, tan and I've had skin cancer already. Wear sun screen and get checked at least yearly.

Another clear skin checkup!

We are out in the sun...alot. Metal detectorists are at an increased risk of developing problems if we dont get yearly (possibly 2x/year) skin inspections by a DERMATOLOGIST. If you have that mole or dark spot that scabs over, you need to get it evaluated. Skin cancer is a TERRIBLE way to die! If you have a family member that developed melanoma, you are at higher risk. Dark skin doesn't give you a pass. Sunscreen is not a cure all.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of your flesh. Just bite the bullet and make that appointment. Develop a good relationship with a dematologist with an excellent reputation and you will sleep better.

Amen!

I worked as a life guard in Miami Beach for several years, back when we didn't know about SPF. We used zinc oxide on our noses, because it "made you look like a lifeguard", and Coppertone tanning oil. Now, years later, I've had two basal cell carcinomas removed from my face and keep getting my face burnt with liquid Nitrogen at the dermatologist twice a year.

My first DR visit is on Valentine's Day ; this past summer I spent a lot more time in the sun , mostly at the lake . I have a couple spots on a age spot and other a mole that have changed somewhat . I IMO when you get older your chances increase . Great advice , I hope more take it ! HH

The doctors told me my vitamin D is in the toilet. Said I don't get enough sun. I thought that was really strange as much as I play underwater and on land all summer long. I am always outside. Now I have to take pills for it. Strange.

Thanks for the warning

Yeah I have to take double the dose an ordinary person does......and im in the Fl. sun all the time. Ive also already had skin cancer and donated part of my ear to science :shock:

Yeah...We were all outside in the Sun a whole lot when we were younger...This Sport is perfect since its audio based, we can hunt at night or early morning..or go subsurface like Scubadee even!.

I cant take any Sun anymore, I gotta quit by 10am unless its good and overcast...(Michigan is a good place to live for that reason) We have a very good old school Dermatologist up here, very fast with a blade, his office is PACKED! He does the MOHS system...Also he gave me a tube of that creme that kills cancer cells...its prescription, so I had to order it from the Factory, but he called ahead and plowed the road...

I really dont mind going there at all...Hes so fast and professional, its a pleasure to see an artist at work! If you have insurance, the booking is out 3 months just to schedule a looksee/biopsy...then you gotta reschedule for the work, another 3months out...I'm sure he makes exceptions for Melanoma..

I dont even make an appointment..If I got something I can fix myself, I just walk in there with cash and he takes care of it immediately! So thats something to think about if you have a suspicious looking spot that wont go away and just keeps getting bigger, ask around, find the best local Derma, walk right in there with cash...$400 bucks ought to do it, depending...dont let it get away from you though...Its gotta be cut or lasered or chilled...

Pennyfinder just went through an awful trial down on the Family Friendly Topics last Fall...Could not get in, took forever, etc...

Yeah...We were all outside in the Sun a whole lot when we were younger...This Sport is perfect since its audio based, we can hunt at night or early morning..or go subsurface like Scubadee even!.

I cant take any Sun anymore, I gotta quit by 10am unless its good and overcast...(Michigan is a good place to live for that reason) We have a very good old school Dermatologist up here, very fast with a blade, his office is PACKED! He does the MOHS system...Also he gave me a tube of that creme that kills cancer cells...its prescription, so I had to order it from the Factory, but he called ahead and plowed the road...

I really dont mind going there at all...Hes so fast and professional, its a pleasure to see an artist at work! If you have insurance, the booking is out 3 months just to schedule a looksee/biopsy...then you gotta reschedule for the work, another 3months out...I'm sure he makes exceptions for Melanoma..

I dont even make an appointment..If I got something I can fix myself, I just walk in there with cash and he takes care of it immediately! So thats something to think about if you have a suspicious looking spot that wont go away and just keeps getting bigger, ask around, find the best local Derma, walk right in there with cash...$400 bucks ought to do it, depending...dont let it get away from you though...Its gotta be cut or lasered or chilled...

Pennyfinder just went through an awful trial down on the Family Friendly Topics last Fall...Could not get in, took forever, etc...

The clouds don't protect you from UV radiation.. the clouds only block out the sun light.

As to what AQ posted here.. I work outside but also play outside and after a long beach hunt a number of years ago I noticed a spot on my arm and went to a skin DR who wasn't concerned about it but decided to cut it out and send it for a biopsy which turned out to be the beginning stages of skin cancer.. it was just a brown spot about the size of a nickel.. it wasn't raised or scabby looking in fact he said it looked like an age spot.

Thats another good thing about being a beach hunter...No end of free tubes of Sun Screen to be found! I've got enough to paint my house!:laughing:

Also, walking in and paying cash..no need for a biopsy unless you are curious, and no need to go back to have the stitches removed either! Just DIY with a pair of fingernail clippers in a week or so..."Whaddaya think Doc? Didja get it all?" Pay the Man and leave a tip! 15 minutes tops!

Good info here.

Folks here,,don't forget about your children here too.

Damage to skin can start at very early age.

We have a very good old school Dermatologist up here, very fast with a blade, his office is PACKED! He does the MOHS system....

I am my dermatologists poster boy,,, German Irish, blond, blue eyes.
Grew up on the beach and spent my life on the water, we would get so sunburned as kids at the beginning of the summer, would lay in bed at night crying I got so scorched.

Have had over a dozen surgeries, all having been done with MOHS.

If you are going to surgery and they don't use MOHS find another doctor that has the MOHS lab.

The MOHS method insures they get "clean margins". This is done using real time biopsy method. The surgeon will cut out the cancerous area, leaving the wound open, then they send it down the hall to the lab, if the margins are clean, the surgeon comes back and performs closure, if not, they dig out a little more and retest. If it is cosmetic area they may give you the option of having a plastic surgeon perform the closure.
My doctor worked briefly for a practice that did not use the MOHS procedure, she had to quit because she could not sleep at night thinking she may have missed something!

Another thing:
Don't EVER have any doctor, Dermatologist or otherwise take a guess at something, ALWAYS have a biopsy taken, you can't tell what it is, I don't care how many years they have been doing it, you just can't tell visually.

The melanoma that was removed from my nose was a round brown spot just smaller than a BB. Perfectly round and flat, and not crusty. I work for a large Corp and my insurance would not pay for specialized surgery. The dermatologist removed the area with a scalpel, in one single procedure, an area just smaller than the size of a dime. Later, another surgeon removed a small area of skin from behind the ear to patch the nose area. The graft did not take, but the crater on my nose is not that noticeable. Just happy to be healthy.

I have a appt . On the 14 th , filling out the papers have to be completed before visit . They want a credit card placeed on file , for cost insurance may not cover . I'm not comfortable doing that , sure they can say that their system is secure , have heard that before ! The first visit is a screening , so I think I have time to get a CC for $500 , to put on file , I just don't want a problem and have to go elsewhere . None of the other doctors I visit ask for that . I can see this going south, as the first thing I want would be assured that I know all cost before hand . This DR. Has been around since 1988 and see no other problems about his reputation . So do other DR. Around the country operate this way , this is a first for me . Thanks

Sundragon , I just reread your post on MOHS , had my exam yesterday and forgot to ask . At the exam she hit about six spots on my head , the spot that I was concerned about she said was not a concern . One spot near my temple she had Some concern . I have a mole on my theigh that has changed some and she took a biopsy , told me it would take 7-10 days for resaults . So since they had to send it out I think they don't have the MOHS . When I get the call I'll have to ask , I felt lucky to get looked at with only a two week wait . Thanks for the post I hope many more here get the exam because of your post . My wife is getting her exam soon too . I can now brag that I was naked with three woman on Valentine's Day , my wife and the two ladies that did the exam ! :lol:
HH

Back
Top Bottom