First Curb Indian!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I hit the curb strips again last night (Saturday) after the kids hit the sack, and initially I had a fairly mundane hunt. I was getting a decent amount of clad, and I continue to be pleased with the coin to trash ratio I've been achieving on the curb strips in general, but nothing verifiably old on this trip at first. I dig any high tone coin signal, even if it's likely just a Zincoln, so I've been surprised to see that my copper pennies continue to far outnumber the Zincolns on the curbstrips I've tried so far.

About 30 minutes into the hunt, I got the 1919 S Wheatie - it was 7" down and hiding under a good sized root. The root apparently protected it a bit - the overall tone on the front of the coin is almost shiny copper. I don't think the scratches on the front across Abe's shoulder and under Liberty are from me - they were invisible until I rinsed the coin.

Much later in the hunt I got over a low to mid 70s high tone, which only showed about 4" depth. Although the signal was a little bouncy and overall slightly low for most Zincolns, it was similar to some particularly nasty/chewed ones I've dug, and the depth was in the right range. So I dug, fully expecting a corroded Zincoln or worse - and out pops a 1905 Indian from no more than 4", probably a little less! First one I've found in a curb strip, and my oldest known find out of a curbstrip so far :yes:

A couple of other interesting finds:

A Peters 32 Smith & Wesson headstamp - Peters was taken over by Remington in 1934, so it's got some age on it. And the thing with the greenish-bluish stripes is actually a toothpaste tube or something - only interesting because I'm suddenly finding a lot of these lately! This is literally the fourth tube of some sort of hygiene paste I've found in the last two or three weeks...lucky me!

Attachments

• BDD66EF4-E497-4D22-BAD2-8343EFC5605D.jpg
    BDD66EF4-E497-4D22-BAD2-8343EFC5605D.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 65440A1A-AEAF-47C2-A432-B8AEBC7CD034.jpg
    65440A1A-AEAF-47C2-A432-B8AEBC7CD034.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 3F9BF738-EB96-4012-8A68-7E501862EDB8.jpg
    3F9BF738-EB96-4012-8A68-7E501862EDB8.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Congrats on the Indian. I still have not pulled out an Indian Head penny. I am seriously considering starting to hit some curb strips myself.

Great little hunt! It's always a good one when an Indian joins the crowd. Looks like it's in pretty good shape too!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Congrats on the Indian. I still have not pulled out an Indian Head penny. I am seriously considering starting to hit some curb strips myself.

Cool! This coin eludes me.:no:

Thanks, guys! Keep at it, you'll get one - just a matter of finding the right spot. If the area is old enough, it's just a matter of time. This curb strip is in one of the older areas of my town, which was first settled in 1832 - so the long history helps.

Great hunt! Nothing like seeing that headdress or "One Cent" peak out.

Thanks, ynnek! Yep, I really like the Indians. Even though they're "just" a penny, the design is just wonderful and the coin screams out that it's from a whole different era. Kind of the same thing with Mercs for me :yes:

Great little hunt! It's always a good one when an Indian joins the crowd. Looks like it's in pretty good shape too!

Thanks Tundra! Definitely one of my favorite coins to find. Not bad shape overall - the date and lettering on the front is pretty sharp and easily read - too worn for "Liberty" on the headband, but no complaints there! The back has good detail, too. It's certainly in better shape than the ones I was pulling out of the farm field earlier this year!

Nice job, especially with those two nice cent coins....congrats!

Thanks JAK - I like pulling out the Wheat cents, too. I honestly like the reverse of the Wheat back, and this one is 99 years old...to me, it's always a good feeling to dig a century old coin, regardless of the denomination!

Congrats on a good hunt with some nice finds.

Two very nice old coins, nice recoveries!

Thanks guys!

Nice finds, been enjoying your posts lately. :yes: I hope to hit a few curb strips next week, haven't found a silver coin in two weeks now and it's driving me crazy. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom