New detector advise

PhantomDetector

I am looking to get a detector to help me find fired brass cases and to recover the fired lead bullets. Secondary use will be general detecting on my property.

In the past I have used a Garret (cannot remember model #, it was an Ace) and I was pleased with it. I had gotten bitten by the gold bug but it did not pan out,,,Ha Ha Ha. Life happened and I had to sell the unit.

So,,,I am looking again for a detector, Most likely another Garret, but choosing one is my dilemma. I am sure the Ace 200 will work for my basic needs however I do like the features of the Ace 400.

Looking for advise from Garret owners.

Thanks
Eric

i would get the top model you can afford bc if you get bitten by the bug, those features are nice. that being said, i swing an F2 for many years and had a blast with it. almost no features lol.

While I don't have experience hunting specifically for casings/bullets, I do really enjoy detecting yards and parks with my Ace 250. :grin: I think either of the models you're looking at would work fine for that, but the extra features on the 400 could really come in handy for you. For instance, like my 250, the Ace 400 has pinpoint, a feature I've come to appreciate and use on nearly every target.

Also, since you mentioned once having the "gold bug", I thought I'd note that the 400 operates on a higher frequency (10 kHz), which is better for finding gold. (It has adjustable frequency, too.)

I hope this is helpful! No matter which detector you choose, have fun & enjoy your hobby. :D

Last edited:
simplex

Check out new notka simplex on you tube....$255 new! It should handle all your needs

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered an Ace 400, figured since I had the $$$ I might as well. It comes with the Pro Pointer II as well.

Now I just gotta wait for it,,,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered an Ace 400, figured since I had the $$$ I might as well. It comes with the Pro Pointer II as well.

Now I just gotta wait for it,,,

Cool! Thanks for the update. Enjoy your new detector, and please do keep us posted about your finds! :thumbsup:

I am looking to get a detector to help me find fired brass cases and to recover the fired lead bullets. Secondary use will be general detecting on my property.

In the past I have used a Garret (cannot remember model #, it was an Ace) and I was pleased with it. I had gotten bitten by the gold bug but it did not pan out,,,Ha Ha Ha. Life happened and I had to sell the unit.

So,,,I am looking again for a detector, Most likely another Garret, but choosing one is my dilemma. I am sure the Ace 200 will work for my basic needs however I do like the features of the Ace 400.

Looking for advise from Garret owners.

Thanks
Eric

For a beginner, I see no performance difference between the ACE 200 and a $75 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. The 300 and 400 have a marginally larger coil, which yield marginally better depth. Perhaps more importantly, the bigger coil has a bigger footprint, allowing you to cover more ground in less time. So now you are looking at $ vs. $$ with a bigger coil.

If you justify spending the $$ on the larger coil, consider spending one more $ to get real benefits that can be noticed equally by novices and veterans. The AT-Pro provides you with ground balance, substantially better target ID and separation, and with the added benefit of being waterproof. No worries about rain... heck, go ahead and submerge it in creeks and lakes. So now you are looking at $$ vs. $$$ with real and noticeable performance benefits.

Of course, once you justified three $$$, you may as well ask yourself, what's next? The answer depends on your location and hunting environment. So far, all of the above detectors are single frequency machines. Moving up, means considering Pulse induction or Multi-frequency machines. Both of these styles can usually adjust for EMI (radio noise) and ground mineralization. For example, if you are in an area with black (iron) sand or heavy mineral deposits, an operator of an ACE machine will get false signals. To compensate for the false signals, the operator must turn down the sensitivity and sacrifice depth. The ATP has ground balancing and software to assist with such issues but its help is limited. Meanwhile the PI or MF machines have the hardware to compensate for the ground conditions and can continue with the same depth as in stable soils. The downside to PI machines (currently in production) is they cannot effectively discriminate unwanted targets. Additionally, you get the same target tone regardless of it being gold, silver, lead, or iron. Garret makes a PI, but does not manufacture a MF machine. So in summary, if you want the next big leap in performance, these machines range from $$$-$$$$$.

I use both the Garrett ace 400 and the AT Pro and both are good detectors for the money. My girlfriend uses a white's Treasuremaster and it has found some really nice stuff for her. Currently Garrett has a good deal on both the 400 and the Pro called the 55th anniversary special......you won't go wrong with any of these detectors.

Look at the simplex, there's a video Tnsharpshooter posted of the Simplex vs equinox on the (all about detectors)..simplex at $250 vs equinox 800 at $899,, you cannot go wrong with the simplex at price vs performance..equinox was a little better but marginal at best at 4 xs the price..shoulda been a no comparison at 4 times the price..Makro is doing a lot of good for this hobbie,and it shows

Back
Top Bottom