Simplest to use detector

hydro556

I am a new user, live in MO, no salt water etc.

Looking to dig because I find history interesting. So I guess artifacts relics etc would be my main interest.

I bought a Garrett Ace 250 couple years ago. I find it very confusing and get very mixed signals from it. Not consistent etc.

I am wondering what the simplest unit is. I see the simplex machine gets a lot of reviews as being just that.

Are there other similar machines that may be better suited for me? Just looking for guidance. Thanks.

They dont get any easier than the 250. You need to join a club or meet someone to show you how to detect.

They dont get any easier than the 250. You need to join a club or meet someone to show you how to detect.
Agree. The Ace machines are about the easiest entry level beep and dig rigs out there.
I run an Equinox and an AT Max as primary machines but I have a couple of Aces for people to try out or play with.
My best find ever was found with an Ace 250, a Confederate buckle from a pounded civil war battlefield.
If you have a club or two in your area, go check them out. You will learn a lot from guys and gals that have been hunting a long time. Many would be happy to help you out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that you're right.

Just get discouraged with the inconsistency. Maybe it's just my particular unit.

I ground balance etc as instructed, but it just seems that it'll hit on something then stop. Over and over.

Was wanting a machine that kind of was autonomous lol. Just turn it on and go and not have to wonder if I've set something incorrectly.

Just get discouraged with the inconsistency. Maybe it's just my particular unit.

I ground balance etc as instructed, but it just seems that it'll hit on something then stop. Over and over.

Was wanting a machine that kind of was autonomous lol. Just turn it on and go and not have to wonder if I've set something incorrectly.
The Ace 250 does not have a ground balance. Its set at the factory. So if you have highly mineralized soil, it's going to potentially mess with your Ace.

What is inconsistent?

Set you up a small test garden with coins, relics, pull tabs, cans, or whatever else and learn what the machine tells you over each target.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a lot of hours of detecting to learn how to be proficient. Hell, I've been detecting since the late 80s and I'm STILL learning. I'm out at least once a week, every week hunting and tweaking settings and learning.

Ace 250 cannot be ground balanced. Tesoro Compadre is the simplest detector, only one knob.

A Used Tesoro Compadre is about a simple as you can get. But still a quality electronic. I think a forum member was recently selling a nice one. I started with a Tesoro silver uMAX. Also a very basic machine

proove it and dig it up

The most confusing detector I ever used was a radio shack thingy some decades ago.

The least confusing detector I've used is a minelab equinox 800 over the last few months.

I've used only those two detectors.

"simple" is subjective.

read the manual.

.... and every modern detector won't be any worse than that radio shack nightmare.

The easiest detector I have used is the Whites M6. I bought a second one, I liked it that much. A friend thought I was a nut for not buying a "different" machine. I wasn't a seller. I bought it to keep. I got bargains in used ones. Neat thing with owning two of the same machines, is that it's great for loaning to "green beginners" when teaching. I have my M6, they, theirs, so comparing signals is easy.

The easiest detector I have used is the Whites M6. I bought a second one, I liked it that much. A friend thought I was a nut for not buying a "different" machine. I wasn't a seller. I bought it to keep. I got bargains in used ones. Neat thing with owning two of the same machines, is that it's great for loaning to "green beginners" when teaching. I have my M6, they, theirs, so comparing signals is easy.

I want one.. I've always liked the whites classics, baby bro to the m6 and very similar to the tesoro compadre listed in the classified I suggested earlier. I hope the op tells us what he gets.

You can never go wrong with an M6 . I have one and I keep a Detech 6x8
coil on it .

There are two-knob detectors existing.
One knob to turn it on and set sensitivity. A second knob to set discrimination.
No display, but simple beeps. If set well a good beep is digging. That simple.

Disc which is set once and mostly only adjusted slightly, were in practice you only have to use one knob to turn your detector on and set sens in one action to be ready to hunt.

That simple. Can't be much easier (yeah one-knob detectors :D , but those lack a needed setting).
I have one for medieval and roman (=weak signals) and it does a perfect job on that. Also sharp on small modern items as ear rings and such.
Higher freq then ace250, so sharper on small items.

Tesoro's are known as good sharp detectors. In europe C-Scopes are known to compete with tesoro's.
Tesoro http://blog.metaldetector.com/2013/08/tesoro-silver-umax-metal-detector-review/
C-Scope https://www.eurocosm.com/product-GB.asp?id=574

You should try one. Good luck.

I used the Ace 250 for over 2 years when I began detecting.
Very reliable, but I dug a LOT of trash too.

If you can find enough clad, like I did, it will pay for an AT PRO.
This is a very simple machine.
I have been swinging it for over 7 years and I have found thousands of objects.

Back
Top Bottom