Lightweight Metal detector ?

Brucem

I have the Tesoro Silver Max which is around 2.3 pounds. Is there a more modern equivalent available around the same weight with good battery life?
I was considering the Simplex but its almost 3 pounds.
I found the Tesoro very good, but my wrist hurt a bit after using it for awhile (9 AM to about 2 PM).
Looking at between my Tesoro at 2.3 pounds to say a max of 2.7 pounds maybe ?

My Teknetiks Patriot is super light and balanced! I can recommend the Fisher F series.đź‘Ť
The XP Deus/Orx looks like they may be the lightest on the market.

Try it before you buy it if you can! Ergonomics matter.

The Equinoxes are very light, about 3 pounds, but many find them uncomfortable during prolonged use.

My F75 at 3.5lbs feels sooo much better. Weight distribution and the offset shaft make a huge difference (to me.)

I found the S-rod configurations to be the most comfortable over long hunts but my Deus2 is excellent as well. HOW you actually hold the machine(loose grip, death grip) counts as well as where you’re swinging from….elbow, wrist, shoulder, hip….any combination of the 4….what’s the budget?

The Garrett Apex weighs in at 2.5 pounds. Bare bones it sells for little over $400.

It is multi-frequency and can run one frequency at a time too. Reviews say it is very good at the beach but only the coil is watefproof.

Budget probably about $500, but its a bit flexible. I like the Tesoro, although my right wrist hurt a bit afterwards, broke it years ago and it was never the same after.
Which brands offer the best battery life? I'll only use it with the speaker, I also like to hear whats going on around me as well. Is a visual display better with a target number? Can I use either the speaker or visual number by themselves?
Would also like to be able to control speaker volume.

Quest X10. Almost as light as the deus, submersible, loaded with features, $200 and I much prefer it to the simplex.

A used XP Deus or XP ORX........no better detector for lightweight needs.

The creator/owner of XP has said he is huge Tesoro fan.

You can set up an original Deus or the XP ORX to act very much like a Silver uMax but you get 28 to 35 selectable single frequencies, multiple preset search modes, multiple tone options, tons of information on the display and its totally wireless capable. Internal rechargeable Lithium Ion battery pack lasts 15 to 20 hours easily.

I went with the XP orx

I had to get a lighter detector cause the Etrac I used for years destroyed my shoulder. I almost had to quit. Hands down the XP Orx is the lightest i have used and it has many features.

I believe the X10 weighs only 1 oz more than the deus. It has ground balance multiple tone choices, backlight, 0-99 VDI, pinpoint, notch, 4 programs (1 user) volume, waterproof, performs very well and $200. Best value out there if not needing smf. The closest to it is the simplex and I sold both of mine and kept the X10. Maybe not what you're looking for but a great value on a damned good machine.

Deus is a great machine, but quite a bit more than i want to spend. As far as the Quest line, should you go for the X10 or X10 Pro ?

I believe the only difference is the pro uses a higher freq. I haven't used one of them. I wouldn't think they would make that change unless it was an improvement but here's pluses and minuses to everything. Btw I'm not saying it's as good as a deus but it's a great option for a lightweight detector for a third the cost that performs.

Check out the ML 540 , light weight, excellent quality, multi IQ , with a 7”x10” coil it is a coin magnet.

Check out the ML 540 , light weight, excellent quality, multi IQ , with a 7”x10” coil it is a coin magnet.

For Brucem........going from a Tesoro Silver uMax (a detector I really like) to a Minelab Vanquish is a great idea. I would consider the Vanquish 440 since it has the best coil (10") for ergonomics and the price is ridiculous. Might want to get some quality rechargeable AAs though since it eats them like Halloween candy.

What is really up with this obsession about detector weight? Is it the physically handicapped? I am 70 now, and I can grab any one of my detectors I have collected, and hunt. I understand if peeps are physically handicapped, but weight of my machines doesn't stop me from taking any of my metal detectors.

Do I detect 8 hours straight? No. I just don't get all this about the lightest detector. Personal handicaps of some people, are definitely important. What is really the importance of a super light metal detectors weight?

I had the 440. It's a very good detector. Light, balanced, simple, pp, good tones and a great layout.

The XP machines sure are light. Anywhere from 2 - 3 pounds should be considered pretty lightweight. Good thing is its not much weight to haul into a site, leaves a lot of those great hauls to come out !
I think light is a good thing, easier on the arms and wrists, plus you can put more battery on for even longer detecting If you want to.
Plus its just a general.
trend in everything it seems these days.
I don't know maybe an XP Orx, or I might just go with my original idea of a Nokta Simplex and add a carbon Fiber and SP24 to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom