New coil or new detector?

Ramble

So…having been bitten by the detecting bug and had a lot of fun with my Simplex (which I love!) I was wondering if it would be better to keep swinging my current machine and pick up the smaller coil as it’s just an extra $110? Or would it be better to invest in a more advanced machine? Right now I’m mostly beach and park hunting. Not in a rush, just musing out loud. My other option is adding a Garrett carrot to my collection. I have a generic pinpointer right now.
Christmas is coming and my inner Santa is looking for ideas :lol:

If it's a salt beach, or highly mineralized ground, then an SMF detector will perform much better than a single frequency detector.

Regarding the coil:

Most Simplex owners put on the SP24 coil, and never, or rarely use the stock coil again. The SP24 has significant advantages over the stock coil, with the only advantage of the stock coil, being slightly more ground coverage.

Last edited:
What Digalicious said.

I use the Simplex+ and I'll tell you I love my SP24. I only take it off when I'm hunting a large open site.

I love the sp24 for all the reasons stated above. But Nokta has a second small coil available that gets very little notice, the sp22.

Anyone here that can opine on the differences?

When you get the sp24 coil, it’s just like getting a new detector.

I owned and loved the Simplex for it's value and performance.

Since you live in Illinois, maybe spend an extra $100 and get a Vanquish to add to your Simplex. It's also a great value.

That way you're covered for water hunting with the Simplex, and also covered for mineralized ground with the multi freq Vanquish. The Simplex struggles with mineralized dirt.

Last edited:
My other option is adding a Garrett carrot to my collection. I have a generic pinpointer right now.
Christmas is coming and my inner Santa is looking for ideas :lol:

The best upgrade I've made since I started detecting was getting a quality pinpointer. The efficiency at finding targets made my detecting much more successful. Probably not that big a deal on the beach but in the dirt it makes a huge difference.

Just a suggestion make sure you buy the pin pointer from an authorized dealer such as those on this site...

A few months ago I bought a fake Garrett off Ebay... I was able to get my money back and just went with a Minelab pro-find 20... which has worked great for me...

I actually notified them and they verified the serial number was one of the most fake serial numbers used...asked me for seller info. and they did absolutely nothing! TONS of fakes on ebay...buy from authorized dealer...

Just a suggestion make sure you buy the pin pointer from an authorized dealer such as those on this site...

A few months ago I bought a fake Garrett off Ebay... I was able to get my money back and just went with a Minelab pro-find 20... which has worked great for me...

I actually notified them and they verified the serial number was one of the most fake serial numbers used...asked me for seller info. and they did absolutely nothing! TONS of fakes on ebay...buy from authorized dealer...

Was it Garrett that did nothing, or fleaBay? With fleaBay, all you are going to get is the parrot that squawks "Only a venue! Only a venue! Bwark!".

The authorized dealer will give you a good price and service, 100% agreed.

--Tom

So, inner santa went shopping for a new coil. I tried it out yesterday and, wow! You guys were right! I took a quick trip to the trash-laden park I visited a couple weeks ago the difference is astounding! Where I was getting one or two crazy signals before, now I’m getting six or eight distinct targets, and MUCH easier to tell the trash from good finds. I also liked the suggestion someone else gave on another thread about using a probe and forceps to pull coins in the park. Works like a charm and no holes for people to complain about. Win!

I’m going to spend some time re-learning the simplex. The smaller coil makes it a whole new machine. Thanks for everyone’s input! :D

Was it Garrett that did nothing, or fleaBay? With fleaBay, all you are going to get is the parrot that squawks "Only a venue! Only a venue! Bwark!".

The authorized dealer will give you a good price and service, 100% agreed.

--Tom

Agree.. it was both! Garrett Id'ed it as fake and ebay was also notified! Zero action taken!

So, inner santa went shopping for a new coil. I tried it out yesterday and, wow! You guys were right! I took a quick trip to the trash-laden park I visited a couple weeks ago the difference is astounding! Where I was getting one or two crazy signals before, now I’m getting six or eight distinct targets, and MUCH easier to tell the trash from good finds. I also liked the suggestion someone else gave on another thread about using a probe and forceps to pull coins in the park. Works like a charm and no holes for people to complain about. Win!

I’m going to spend some time re-learning the simplex. The smaller coil makes it a whole new machine. Thanks for everyone’s input! :D

I only take off my SP24 when I hunt a large open field.

Agree.. it was both! Garrett Id'ed it as fake and ebay was also notified! Zero action taken!

Also a lot of fake Seresto flea collars on feebay. They don't care about forgeries on feebay. They get a cut if you don't return it so its ok on their end.

Also a lot of fake Seresto flea collars on feebay. They don't care about forgeries on feebay. They get a cut if you don't return it so its ok on their end.

I used to buy and sell on their site... Now Ebay is a joke ...I am done there. They are charging sellers around 20%... And buying anything is not like it used to be...full of scammers... and ebay does nothing even when notified...

Also amazon changing too... Will not price match...will have you return the item and order the exact one if you see a lower price...a waste... But I still use amazon...

I owned and loved the Simplex for it's value and performance.

Since you live in Illinois, maybe spend an extra $100 and get a Vanquish to add to your Simplex. It's also a great value.

That way you're covered for water hunting with the Simplex, and also covered for mineralized ground with the multi freq Vanquish. The Simplex struggles with mineralized dirt.

See what you did! Now I own a new coil and just bought a used Vanquish 440 today…I feel so weak…:laughing:
Should have my Vanquish in a few days. Time to have fun with both!

Good for you!

That 10" coil on the Vanquish should perform just like the SP24 on the Simplex. Wish they would make it standard on the 540 too.

Back
Top Bottom