Why such a small hatchet head?

zeemang

Forum Supporter
I found this a few weeks ago and just getting around to cleaning it up, should like nice when it's all done. Found at an old colonial era spot.
Question: Could this be some kind of kids toy hatchet, or a sample piece maybe? I only think this because the part the handle would go through is tiny, like my pinkie barely fits in there, i can't see any wooden handle being strong enough to actually use this as a hatchet for that reason... Also, no stamps but any idea of age?
Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20160401_122934.jpg
    20160401_122934.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 20160401_122951.jpg
    20160401_122951.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 504
  • 20160401_161053.jpg
    20160401_161053.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 513
Could be a tomahawk, a child's toy OR it could be a throwing axe. Throwing axes are light and designed to be held by the handle, aimed and thrown at a target. Small, light, but weighted and balanced for accuracy. The handle would not need to be hefty, because little if any stress ever was placed on it.

SageGrouse

No, no blood...
Thanks guys, i was kind of between a small belt axe or a toy based on the size of the spot where the handle would go. I find plenty of big axe heads but this is my first tiny one...

Great find there Zee! It sure looks like a thrower, but it could also have been used for carving? I've got a little one around here I throw, but also use to carve with...you know, like canoe paddles and stuff...so I could see where that would come in handy to make items out of..like other axe handles and wagon parts and horse gear, bows, spears, even butchering...etc...? that would be a handy little tool there!
Mud

Attachments

• paddles.jpg
    paddles.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 389
I'll finish it up and put a nice handle on it, it should look good next to it's full size cousin sitting on a table in my living room... I really enjoy taking the time and bringing them back to life again.

it looked like a nice early belt or throwing axe , you may have ruined any real or historical value it had by "cleaning" it like that .

That is cute! Not sure why so small. Maybe a specialized tool for a certain task. I'm not sure what "real or historical value" rust retains. Enjoy the piece! I think its very cool, and appreciate it because I learned to throw when I was 10 or 11 while helping build my family's log cabin.

Last edited:
I don't mind killing any value it had, i would rather clean it up however i have to to make it a nice presentable piece again.

Could also be a boy scout I think it was gold award or just below gold award item. My friends brother had earned one. Looks about same size. Can't ask him details on it though he passed on some years ago.

Back
Top Bottom