Whats the best shovel to buy?

ironman05

Im having a hard time metal detecting because of my back from a car accident i had last year. I cant bend over much do dig plugs all day so i was wondering if anyone uses a shovel specificly in parks. Looking for one that makes small plugs. Im not intrested in finding large targets mostly coins. thanks guys hope someone can help. Im a 6ft 4in tall guy so what height is recommended for me? i see there are different sizes out there.:cool:

Im having a hard time metal detecting because of my back from a car accident i had last year. I cant bend over much do dig plugs all day so i was wondering if anyone uses a shovel specificly in parks. Looking for one that makes small plugs. Im not intrested in finding large targets mostly coins. thanks guys hope someone can help. Im a 6ft 4in tall guy so what height is recommended for me? i see there are different sizes out there.:cool:

If your looking at digging in parks then don't take in ashovel, your welcome will be short and not so sweet.

I'm 6"1" and have spinal damage but use a lesche and some good gel knee pads, when im in the woods or land that's not manicured and allowed to ill take a 28" Sampson 'T' bar shovel, its nice to cut into the ground and lift out the plug but don't think its not possible to bend it, I thought that and bend it slightly first time out trying to use it to pry aside a larger buried rock.

But please don't take a shovel into the park, they really do hate that

I hunt my own property, so I use one of these small ones from Ace Hardware. Where do you hunt?

Attachments

• shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 5,035
I use a Sampson T shovel with serrated edge. I am 6' and have bad knees and other injuries from a car accident 10yrs ago. I feel your pain... literally!

One of the Sampson Ground Sharks makes small holes. I don't particularly like it because of the small dig profile, but many people do, for that exact reason you express. Martin

I have a predator tools model 58 dixie long handle and a predator tools raptor digger that I use. I usually cut the plugs with the shovel and then use the raptor to clean out the hole. I had an accident and broke both ankles and my back. My right ankle is fused and so is my back. These 2 tools make it quick and easier for me to dig and keeps me out longer before I start to hurt bad enough to quit for the day.

Attachments

• shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 4,024
  • raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,012
thanks guys

Prob not a good idea to bring a shovel into a park.might attract to much attention to the wrong crowd then next thing you know it will prob be banned:(

Unless they have restrictions against using a small shovel, I am going to use mine.
The problem with that in regards to parks is even without a restriction, you're almost guaranteed to get a ban, not a restriction, on detecting taking / using a shovel in a park. You need to recruit a digger. :D

If you don't want to spend the money try a Trenching Shovel. I bought one a Home Depot for $15. It has a 4 inch wide by 10 inch long blade. Makes nice small plugs. If you are worried about a shovel in parks cut the handle down a little and paint the whole thing dark green, to make it less visible. I use my shovel everywhere but yards.

As much as I love my Sampson 31", I wouldn't recommend it for you. It was a little shorter than I figured, and at 6' I do have to bend a bit to use it. Sounds like a full size shovel, modified, would be ideal.

I also have a bad back and even though I would never carry a full size shovel in a park, digging with one really bothers it. To me the mini shovels and even my Ground Shark requires to much bending. Using my Lesche can aggravate it because of how low you have to get. I purchased the 18" Mini Sampson and it is perfect. You can dig from a crouched position without bending your back as much as you do with a Lesche or small digging trowel. It's also small enough to carry in a park. It does dig a slightly larger hole then the Shark but I don't find it any harder to repair that hole over a smaller one. And the larger hole is better if your finding coins at deeper depths. I highly recommend that you try one out.

The problem with that in regards to parks is even without a restriction, you're almost guaranteed to get a ban, not a restriction, on detecting taking / using a shovel in a park. You need to recruit a digger. :D

I use a predator shovel and raptor. The predator shovel has a small 4 1/2 x 7 7/8 blade on it. The long handle gives it an appearance of being a regular shovel. It's not like a regular shovel, the small head allows for cutting small plugs. I have 11 screws and 2 plates in my right ankle, 2 screws in my left ankle and 4 screws and titanium in my back. I use the shovel to cut the plug and then when I am down on my knees, I use the raptor to hand dig the hole as needed. If the ground is soft, I just use the raptor.

i use this bad boy that i got off another member last summer. Cuts my recovery time in half and much easier on the back. It's called the King of Spades model 38D and Lesche makes it.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJBcE7)y6+CbqBO+7MNjkZg~~60_35.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJBcE7)y6+CbqBO+7MNjkZg~~60_35.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,013
I agree that shovels should not be used in parks, even that King of Spades. Makes way too large holes for simple coin shooting or jewelry. We as metal detector users are facing more and more restrictions on our hobby and we need to be really neat in our recovery of lost objects. Parks are for the most part maintained lawns and should be treated the same as private lawns, with great respect. When in the woods or fields that aren't mowed a shovel is fine, but even then if coins are the target a small digger works fine and still makes less of a mess. Shovels do well at beaches alongside the beach scoops since the sand is basically self-healing when you fill the holes.

I use one of these............................... at least in the barn I do ;).

Attachments

• A_Cartoon_Rancher_Shoveling_Manure_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100313-117314-325053.jpg
    A_Cartoon_Rancher_Shoveling_Manure_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100313-117314-325053.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,842
I agree that shovels should not be used in parks, even that King of Spades. Makes way too large holes for simple coin shooting or jewelry. We as metal detector users are facing more and more restrictions on our hobby and we need to be really neat in our recovery of lost objects. Parks are for the most part maintained lawns and should be treated the same as private lawns, with great respect. When in the woods or fields that aren't mowed a shovel is fine, but even then if coins are the target a small digger works fine and still makes less of a mess. Shovels do well at beaches alongside the beach scoops since the sand is basically self-healing when you fill the holes.

What size plugs are you refering to?

thanks guys i think im gonna stay away from a shovle

I don't think I want to attract the wrong people do I'm just gonna take an extra pain killer I guess.

Back
Top Bottom