Buckle (?) and a tag

Joseph92

I found the brass "buckle" that says "ILLINOIS" on it at what I think is turn of the century homesite. The back says "Hewes & Potter Boston, Mass."
I found that to be a clothing company, but couldn't find an item quite like this one (belt buckle) and no idea why it says Illinois on it. Anyone seen anything like it?

The other "tag" item is aluminum and has a clip on the back. Found it near an old farm, assumed it was just a cattle tag. But all the cattle tags I've found have been heavy and brass with a hole through them. I've never found a smaller aluminum one with a clip on the back.

Attachments

• DSCN6916.jpg
    DSCN6916.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN6917.jpg
    DSCN6917.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN6918.jpg
    DSCN6918.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 131
Could the Illinois item be a belt buckle?

I think you're right. I found out the company on the back made suspenders and leather belts. So I figured it was a belt buckle as well. Still don't know why it says "Illinois." Maybe it was customizable.

I think you're right. I found out the company on the back made suspenders and leather belts. So I figured it was a belt buckle as well. Still don't know why it says "Illinois." Maybe it was customizable.
How about some kind of harness buckle? That would make sense if the other item is a rosette.

Cliff

How about some kind of harness buckle? That would make sense if the other item is a rosette.
Cliff

Sorry, they weren't found near each other. I'm fairly certain the brass item is a belt buckle from the leather belts the company on the back made. I just can't find any info on why it says "Illinois."

Sorry, they weren't found near each other. I'm fairly certain the brass item is a belt buckle from the leather belts the company on the back made. I just can't find any info on why it says "Illinois."
Hey! I'm just trying to help but you keep shooting me down. [emoji1] Just kidding. I hope you get some better info. What is the company name on the back and where were they located?

Cliff

Hey! I'm just trying to help but you keep shooting me down. [emoji1] Just kidding. I hope you get some better info. What is the company name on the back and where were they located?
Cliff

Haha I know, I know. It says "Hewes & Potter, Boston, Mass." on the back and from what I can tell, they made suspenders and leather belts from around 1905-1930s.

Back
Top Bottom