Walmart $8.99 Digger

SlickWillie

Found this nice Digger. Very solid.

Now if I could find some silver or gold :D

Attachments

• downsized_0211141043.jpg
    downsized_0211141043.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 566
I have used those before and they do a really good job. The handle stud is a little weak so it won't take a lot of prying, but it is a good digger. It cuts a nice clean plug that can be replaced with no visible damage to the turf. Hope the signals you get to dig with it are all good ones.

I put a little pressure on it and it didnt seem to give, but ill use caution. My main complaint is it seems that the schraded edge is on the wrong side. I have more strength pulling toward my thumb.

But over all, for 9 bucks im not complaining. :)

Those are fairly popular due to their price. I picked one up a week or so ago. Check out the thread about making a sheath for the Fiskars digger. Lots of good ideas there.

Papa

Used mine all summer last year and it held up great, soft dirty here though.

Sent from my M865C using Tapatalk 2

Have used one of these before. For the $$, its a pretty decent digger.

fiskars

I've broke 2 of them..took pic and they sent me new ones with no problems
the 2 that are broke im gonna weld new ends on them
thats the only weak spot on these
this mod was done by 1 of the members on here..

Attachments

• 000_0632.jpg
    000_0632.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 479
I've broke 2 of them..took pic and they sent me new ones with no problems
the 2 that are broke im gonna weld new ends on them
thats the only weak spot on these
this mod was done by 1 of the members on here..

You must be doing some serious digging! :grin:

Thats was the first digger I started with. Used it about 3 weeks and snapped the handle off. Wasn't even prying hard with it, just enough to flip the plug and the ground was pretty moist at the time. Alot of people like them and they do a good job but I would definately find someone who could put a better weld on the handle. I don't have a welder or know anyone nearby with one so I just got a better quality digger. Some year I may get around to sending in a pick and getting a new one but it's not really at the top of my priority list. It would probably cost about the same for shipping as is would to just go to Wally World and get another.

This one is good for a little bit, I had one years ago and it snapped in half after a while. Get a Lesch..

Decent diggers until they break and they will,sorry for the negativity but had 1 and it broke right at the handle,really shouldn't skimp on a good digger.Just my 2 cents...

Digger

Tman thats just it,take pic and send to then 3 or 4 days later you have new one in mail....keep the broke one..I bought a Lesche and several Wilcox's//
the Wilcox's are cheap and work great unless you have to deal with roots...
I've tried to break the Lesche,it tough.money well spent..
I got the fiskars on sale at wally world for 4.99 so I thought oh well
they cut roots good but like u said they are weak at the handle..
Only thing I dont like about the Lesche is it doesnt cut roots very well
I guess I need to get around to maybe sharpening the edge...

Tman thats just it,take pic and send to then 3 or 4 days later you have new one in mail....keep the broke one..I bought a Lesche and several Wilcox's//
the Wilcox's are cheap and work great unless you have to deal with roots...
I've tried to break the Lesche,it tough.money well spent..
I got the fiskars on sale at wally world for 4.99 so I thought oh well
they cut roots good but like u said they are weak at the handle..
Only thing I dont like about the Lesche is it doesnt cut roots very well
I guess I need to get around to maybe sharpening the edge...

One of these days I may get around to sending in some pics. No rush, I bought the Garrett right after I broke it and been pretty happy with it overall. May get it replaced just to use in the garden sometime or keep as a spare but doubt I will take with me as a day to day digger.

I had it out today and I could tell that if I pried real hard on it I could prolly break it.

Had I not read these posts I may have done just that!

So, thanks for all the warnings, as I will use caution when digging with it.

Been using my Fiskar for over three years now, sharpened it twice. The soil here is soft sand, so this is the perfect tool, since cutting roots is about all it needs to do. Use a trowel to lift the plugs, wider blade helps keep them from falling apart, especially when its been dry. These are sod cutting knives, not really digging tools or pry bars. Abuse the tool, they break. Some people have hostile soil, and need a $50 digging tool, it would be overkill, and a waste of money in my soil. Doesn't look like a wicked weapon either...

I also have one of the fiskars. Keep in mind that they are warranted. I had one break and all I had to do was take a picture, send it to fiskars, and fill out a clim form. They sent me a new one in a couple days. Well worth the money. I actually put some jb weld on my new one where the welding is to make it a little stronger.

Made in China, Improved in my Iowa barn.
I bent two of them that broke at the handle, after about 200 plugs.
So I hooked up the wire-feed welder,
replacing the handle with a 5" long 3/8" steel pipe.
I also welded a ring to the top to attach to the carbine on my tool pouch.
SANY0164.jpg

Back
Top Bottom