how much decreased value on au condition coin

Glennz

Elite Member
Well i have an 1865 2 cent piece in AU condition 55 or greater that has some enviromental rust bubbles damage (probabl came from a coastal state. How much might this drop its value?

Hard to say without a pic Glenn?...Theres some pretty astute numistmatists that hang out here that could put you in the ballpark with a decent pic or two..so yeah...see if you can upload a pic?
Mud

Coin folks are REALLY picky, so i would say rust bubbles would just about kill the value, environmental damage.

Without a pic its impossible to give any kind of reasonable answer

I'd have to say the 5% tin/zinc (95% copper) is the source of corrosion. I've dug a couple in Michigan that have the rust bubbles. Hard to say the value, who knows what the right person might pay.

Finally got pics..
16298591_623522681181035_8596618432052216112_n.jpg

16174614_623522717847698_1363998850339781566_n.jpg

had to get better lighting

$ 80.00 at AU 50. $ 110.00 at MS60. Its in good shape but needs restored. Great find.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

That has a bunch of dings around the rim, i am not an expert but i really doubt it would grade that high... Sweet find though!

I hate to say it, but those little corrosive marks will override the AU grade. AU means what it means, almost un-circulated. For the most part, an AU grade is just under mint status with only minor wear and blemishes/nicks/marks. The coin is still cool and valuable, but you would have to bring it to a local coin shop for review and appraisal. Keep in mind most local coin shops will take a direct 40% off red book values and use gray sheets.

I hate to say it, but those little corrosive marks will override the AU grade. AU means what it means, almost un-circulated. For the most part, an AU grade is just under mint status with only minor wear and blemishes/nicks/marks. The coin is still cool and valuable, but you would have to bring it to a local coin shop for review and appraisal. Keep in mind most local coin shops will take a direct 40% off red book values and use gray sheets.

Yeah. I won't be selling it any time soon... but i normally try to get all my coins at a rate in which i can sell to a dealer and make profit... its harder this year than last year but i occasionally find something

As a former coin dealer and lifetime coin collector I can tell you honestly that though the coin is in good shape not counting the environmental damage, it would be difficult to get good money for it. The reverse side is especially bad.
I know this may seem like bad news but I'm being truthful. Gorgeous coin otherwise....

As a former coin dealer and lifetime coin collector I can tell you honestly that though the coin is in good shape not counting the environmental damage, it would be difficult to get good money for it. The reverse side is especially bad.
I know this may seem like bad news but I'm being truthful. Gorgeous coin otherwise....

Its going in my collection so i'm not too worried, although i can always get more than i bought it for.. I don't deal in high end yet so this is probably the highest detail one i will own for a while. Some day i might find a better one. I typically only get key dates be being lucky or finding say an 1823 large cent represented as an 1828 large cent in a lot of 6 coins

You'd be lucky to get $20 for it with the extent of enviro damage on it.

Back
Top Bottom