My first (mini) cache

DocWatson

I was working along side of an old dirt access road in eastern Colorado and not having much luck. It took me longer to find the road than I had thought it would, and longer still to find the traces of the old buildings I had been told were there. I'd been on site for about an hour and covered about 20 yards along the road in front of the foundations and so far had only recovered some unidentifiable iron bits, a couple of cans and a few brass shell casings, (I'm really starting to hate those).

I got a clear signal, clean consistent audio and 80 to 84 on the VDI, showing to be around 6 1/2 inches down. I tried to dig gingerly, but it's been a while since we've had a real rain, and the ground here is fair to middle hard. I dug and checked with the probe until I got down around 6 inches and pulled up some rotted leather. Checking the hole I pulled up two Indian head cents. Checking again I found two more. Running the probe over the hole one last time I also checked the dirt I'd removed and found a Barber dime. I didn't find any trace of a clasp, but I'm sure I found the remains of a change purse.

IMAG0047.jpg

Here's the day's finds:

IMAG0049.jpg

As a side note, I got one more really solid signal before leaving. I dug about 7 inches and was looking at a slightly tilted cylinder about 3 1/5 inches across and 1/2 inch tall, with something solid extending further below it. Fresh off my mini cache I half convinced myself it was a Mason jar, and had visions of it being filled with Barber quarters and large cents dancing in my head.

It was an oil filter.

Congrats on your find. Looks like your research paid off. Those pennies sure have a nice brown patina. I wish I could find them like that! I look forward to seeing what else you find. HH.

yeah the higher grade of indian head the more crisp LIBERTY is on the head band, or so Ive been told.

sweet find for sure, the nice thing is with them being in the leather bag, they look just as good as an indian someone has in their collection....sweet!

Those are some sweet looking coins! Nice job! I hope you find more and share with us.

Congrats!
G2M

Great hunting, those coins lying in the dirt like that look so exciting. I would have thoughts of large cents, and Barber halves dancing in my head too.

great find an yes on the headband they say that an right at the bottom of the headband is where the date code is

Grats on a great drop recovery..but more so how awsome mis the oil filter recobvery? Sweet! ;)

Grats! Great find !!

Happy Hunting!

:D

Back
Top Bottom