Roman statue

Brian

Elite Member
This is a bronze statue about 1800 years old. Not bad condition in view of its age. I recovered it from a boggy area before they ran a road over the top.

Attachments

• statue_188.jpg
    statue_188.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,477
Brian, That is some find. I believe it to be the best of anything I have seen this year on this site. A blue ribbon for that.

I looked at your bio to see where you are from, but It came up empty. Would it be a safe guess on my part to exclude Peoria and Sebring as the area where you found that piece :?: ......Gil

Now thats awesome to say the least. This is something that all of us only dream of. WTG!

Brian,

Now that really IS an eye popping, mind blowing find!! And what part of the world are you in, anyway??? Congrats!!!!! :wow:

I'm in the United Kingdom...sorry I didn't notice that since the forum change I hadn't put my location back in.
The Celtic figure I posted the other day though not as detailed is another 600 years older than the statue above.

Had three similar over the years but this is the only one I got to keep.

The find is incredible but You are in Europe and its rich with artifacts...anything older then 375 years here in America, is basically indian.. By the way my 11th great came over in 1623...Worcestor..from England.

Great find, Brian.
I live and hunt (really, hunt and live) in S. KOrea. I occasionally find some older stuff, too.
I have found several pieces of old budda statues.
Found one complete budda statue, dating about 1500 - 1600 years old.
I remember the rush I had. I'm sure that you experienced that, too.

Have many more great hunting days. Bill

I live about 1 mile from stonehenge,you lot might think thats a great place for a detectorist to live but if i as much as walk down the road with my detector i got a bunch of nutty archeologists on my back.I have to go about 5 miles away from here at least

I have to say, thats a museum piece to say the least. Or at least get it insured big time. In ways I envy you guys in Europe. Your history goes back over a 1000 yrs, Here 2-300.
Here in certain parts of the states it hard to find anything that would even compare to that, though I have seen some amazing finds, but yours is the best so far. Everytime I see that I think of the workmanship involved at that period in history, prob. wasn't a small task to make the mold and then pour it.
Was probably some Noble or centurions good luck piece. smg

what a find brian respect,did you put alot of homework in before detecting the spot or was it pottering along a hunch.nico one,cheers

Part research. It came from an area that should have produced and didn't mainly due to a road having been built nearby that held back water and caused a mashy bit. Eventually a new road junction was put in and the ground cleared and drained.

How cool is that!!! Great find!!! What is it made of? bronze?

Bronze but there is slight signs of silver down some of the fine details which suggests that it had a thin wash of silver all over.

Back
Top Bottom