Sword

OK, wrapped in an oil cloth, dropped in a field,.......this has all the makings of another Dan Brown novel!!

Dusty

About two years ago, one of our club members brought in a
sword that had been recovered from north Chichamauga creek, that was in as good or
better condition than this sword....>>>

Evidently, the mud protected it. This sword may have been wrapped in an
oil cloth or something to protect it.

Cartain types of mud will protect items, by keeping oxygen away.
Lots of coins and artefacts have been found in the mud of the Thames in
London, in lovely condition.

Then at Vindolanda on Hadrians Wall in a rubbish pit, Roman wooden
writing tablets were discovered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindolanda_tablets

As well as leather shoes in very good condition.

>Cartain types of mud will protect items, by keeping oxygen away…<

Mud rules! Nice sword. I found some rusty nails and a nickle yesterday and,..ah…oh never mind.

:)

I'm bringing this thread back up as a reminder to myself. I have found other artifacts in that same field. I"ll do my best to put the pics up tomorrow. But heres what Ive found.

One of the things looks almost like a pair of iron shackles, two rings on each end and a short chain in between connecting them. But their nor shackles, the rings are just that A piece of iron bent into a circle. no locking mechanism of and sort. I think its part of old farm equipment, such as for a mule and plow.

An old Scrape blade.

Something that looks like a petrified piece of okra. Except it's metal. Seriously.

Dozens of old arrows that ive lost.

Probably thousands of metal lids to dip cans that I throw off tractors out there.

And some various other stuff. I will also include the pottery and arrows heads I come across.

I also forgot the billions of shotgun and rifle shells.

Bhar, what part of Georgia? I just moved from the SW part of GA. Lived in Albany for almost 9 years. Lots of CW stuff found in the river there and surrounding farms.

Bhar, what part of Georgia? I just moved from the SW part of GA. Lived in Albany for almost 9 years. Lots of CW stuff found in the river there and surrounding farms.

He has not signed in since april.:no:

Back
Top Bottom