Bottle In The Hole

TNTGross

Elite Member
So, I was out dirt fishing yesterday with the EQ 800, and a crazy thing happened... I came across a strong target that rang true at 35. It was a deep target, so I cut a big plug. When I flipped the plug back, the bottom of this bottle was looking back at me. It took a bit of work, but I was able to free it without breaking it. Best I can gather, it is a mouth-blown champagne bottle with a high push-up bottom. circa 1875-1885. It could be a bit newer, as this style was used up to 1911, but it's a bit crude, so I'm guessing the older date.

After I got it out, I stuck my pinpointer down the hole, and at over a foot of depth, it detected nothing. Swung the EQ over it again, and still had a strong 35 that showed it was at a depth of 10 inches. Dug another 6 inches, and still no luck with the whites handheld pinpointer. At this point, I figured it was a large object, very deep, and I was done digging, as this was my last target of a 3-hour hunt.

After I got home, I got to thinking... This bottle was stuck bottoms up into the ground, pointing down, over a large, deep, object. Now I am wondering if it was a marker of some sort. Did someone hide a stash back in the day and place this bottle over it as a marker so they could come back and find it later?

My other finds are 14 clad dimes, all found in the same 3-inch deep hole. A Freemason badge, a couple of wheaties, 37 and 49. A twisted ring with fake gems and a few other clads.

Hope to get back one day and see if I can dig a little deeper to see what was giving me that strong 35 signal under the bottle.

Attachments

• 02152019 hunt 02.jpg
    02152019 hunt 02.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I am not a bottle collector but I think I would keep that one, and I think a bigger shovel might be a good Idea. Could be a real treasure down there. Good luck

I am not a bottle collector but I think I would keep that one, and I think a bigger shovel might be a good Idea. Could be a real treasure down there. Good luck
Yea, I plan to keep it. I put it up on a shelf with a few old liquor bottles I found while crawling under the house. House was built in 1928... I was thinking a bigger digging tool as well. Only had my 10 dollar 8" hand digger with me at the time.

A Freemason badge? That's very cool.

They're related to the Knights Templar as I'm sure you know :)

how close are you to Oak Island?

Back
Top Bottom