Spectra V3i Issue

Skymeat

I just got my V3i. All factory default the display thinks everything in the ground or air is something. It's lit up like a Christmas tree. What's up?

I just got my V3i. All factory default the display thinks everything in the ground or air is something. It's lit up like a Christmas tree. What's up?

You inside your house?

Check your coil connector

It's new from the factory today. It doesn't matter if the coil is near the ground or in the air in the yard.

First, take it across town to a different location. If it still acts the same way, I'd have to say that this brand-new machine came with a defect. it should function well at default settings, as long as you aren't really near to a transmitting satellite dish or something.

Make sure to wrap the cable snugly, not flopping around.

Inside or outside? If the Rx gain is too high for the coil or area you are in it can cause that, if you have another coil put it on and see what happens. Ground balanced? You could be experiencing EMI. Also i hate to say this but the stock 10dd coils are sometimes touchy and faulty. If you do not have another coil to try , is there a dealer or friend you can borrow a coil from and try?

Well I think I have it nailed down to Emi issues. It starts getting stable when I turn the rxg way down, and the box is quiet with no coil. I'll get out to somewhere remote tomorrow. My house is loaded with possible issues, and I guess that could affect the property too.

Well I think I have it nailed down to Emi issues. It starts getting stable when I turn the rxg way down, and the box is quiet with no coil. I'll get out to somewhere remote tomorrow. My house is loaded with possible issues, and I guess that could affect the property too.

I think you have a bad coil, from the factory. Any EMI which is bad enough to smother a signal and causing the Rx gain/sensitivity down to 2-3, on a factory new V3i, just isn't realistic, running a factory file with no tweaks.

I guess that somebody has to live under a transmitting microwave antenna tower though. I experienced similar EMI once at a public elementary school. My hunt buddy was also running a White machine, and we both were getting hammered. There was obviously a transmitter dish on that school building. Other than that one time, I have never had to reduce my settings near as much as you have, more than that one time.

You won't be the first new V3i owner with a bad factory, brand new D2 coil, out of the box.

The true final test is to get outside, to a close public park or something, youyr back yard even, and test the coil sensitivity set at the maximum of 15, to see if it overloads.

Just too bad you don't have a local owner with another V3i close by.

I ordered a 6*10 tonight to see if it will help. But I'll definitely test the 10 tomorrow if the snow is light. I figure I'm taking a trip to the factory next Friday either way. It's only a 40 minute drive.

It's possible that WiFi is an issue. Nearby power lines, either above or below ground, especially high voltage lines can affect function immensely. I have hunted at a house where the wifi signal made the detector inoperable and a hundred feet away from the house, everthing was normal.

Perform overload test on coil.
Run rX gain to max and see what happens.

If this is cool.
Turn on tx boost with rX gain maxed.
See what happens.
The last test above it can fail I believe and still be consider alright.
But if it passes even better.

Perform overload test on coil.
Run rX gain to max and see what happens.

If this is cool.
Turn on tx boost with rX gain maxed.
See what happens.
The last test above it can fail I believe and still be consider alright.
But if it passes even better.

I second this advice. Whites will suggest the same thing anytime there's any possibility of a coil problem. I check mine from time to time for sanity.

All my V3i coils pass at 15 without Tx Boost turned on, and some even with boost turned on.

This coil test...I assume it should be done somewhere with no interference, like out in the woods?

I ordered a 6*10 tonight to see if it will help. But I'll definitely test the 10 tomorrow if the snow is light. I figure I'm taking a trip to the factory next Friday either way. It's only a 40 minute drive.

So what did they tell you at Whites today?

I am also curious what you learned at Whites factory. As far as having to go into the woods to find EMI free airspace...most of the open areas anywhere, even inside the home, is normally EMI friendly, not the other way around. Otherwise the V3i would be a hard-sell if places like open public areas like parks, were a problem for a simple verification, with the coil held at waist high level.

Back
Top Bottom