Newbie's First Wheatie

MontyPython

Did some evening/night coinshooting in my neighborhood (area was developed in the 20s) along some curbstrips and a tot lot.

The only downside to coinshooting at night, besides having every passing car throw a spotlight on you like a prison guard, is that you don't notice when you get a decent pull.

I've only been at this for about a week, but snagged my first '58 Wheatie. Not a big deal to many of you veterans of the hobby, but it's a small victory for some relatively unproductive newbie MDing! (I currently avg less than a dollar in clad/2 hrs right now)

Unfortunately, I didn't know it was not clad till I cleaned it up at home today, so I don't know which of the three or four areas I was sweeping yielded the pull to go back and look for more of the same era.

Anyway, long post for a short story. Hopefully it's just a sign of better finds to come!

congratulations on your first wheatie. Pretty soon it will be your first merc. Then your first silver half. Then your first barber. Then your first seated. And then your first gold coin. Bucket-listers will fly by with the months ! And before long: You will be bored with any gold coin that does not pre-date 1850. :impatient:

congratulations on your first wheatie. Pretty soon it will be your first merc. Then your first silver half. Then your first barber. Then your first seated. And then your first gold coin. Bucket-listers will fly by with the months ! And before long: You will be bored with any gold coin that does not pre-date 1850. :impatient:

LOL... I like your thinking Tom

Congrats on your Wheatie! :hi5: I'm on my second year and I've still only found 1 Wheatie. :(

Keep it up, I'm sure we'll find some more, and silver will follow! :mder::detector::woot:

Last edited:
Congrats! :woot: That is an experience to remember. I recall the thrill I felt when I pulled my first wheatie out of the hole... the excitement of knowing that I'd made my first really good recovery. Wheat cents are still a great find to me (considering I've only found two... :laughbounce:), and they always will be. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first Wheatie . And many more first to come. Looking forward to seeing your post. Keep your coil to the soil and happy Hunting!

Congrats...it's a great feeling, isn't it?

What I've done when I night hunt, is use one pocket for each area I go to, that way I can tell pretty much where I found it.

Hey, that is great! A wheatie kind of tells you that you are in a good area possibly for more oldies.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, since it was dark I don't know whether it was at the curb strip or the park when I pulled it. *facepalm*

Fortunately, I only covered a portion of the park and had signals I didn't dig at the strips to go back for!

Plus those strips are along the walkways to a school built in 1926! I've got a good feeling about it!

ALSO! THANK YOU ALL for being so supportive! Your positivity is a real confidence booster to this rookie!

Congrats...it's a great feeling, isn't it?

What I've done when I night hunt, is use one pocket for each area I go to, that way I can tell pretty much where I found it.

Good idea!

I have the Hyper Tough two-pocket apron that's $1 at Walmart for my finds. One pocket for trash, one pocket for keepers.

Good idea!

I have the Hyper Tough two-pocket apron that's $1 at Walmart for my finds. One pocket for trash, one pocket for keepers.

I use a Delta tool belt for trash and to hold my digger(s)...good finds go into my jeans pockets....that makes four areas I can "organize" by...plus my tool belt has two small pockets if I end up going to more than 4 areas (hasn't happened yet)

Congrats on that

Still a big deal to me when I dig one, I still get excited when I dig a quarter:laughing: . And I have been at it 15 years. Keep swinging lot's of firsts to come.

Back
Top Bottom