Wet sand advice

Vermonster

Elite Member
Ok, here's the scoop (no pun intended...;) ). I just moved from the F2 to the Sovereign XS-2A for the beach, so now I can venture into the wet sand. Tried it the other day, and got zero targets in an hour. Moved to dry sand, got tons, the detector works great. So, maybe it's bad sand conditions, or user error. Below is my setup. The red is similar to how I worked it. I went as close to the water at a 0 low tide, to the hardest packed wet sand I could find, and went in a straight line. The yellow is the towel line. The green, that is the slope down to the water, a pretty decent one here.

So, do I go straight like I did (red), and just hope for better sand conditions? Or, do I go up and down the slope in a pattern similar to the green lines? I do notice as I get further up the slope, I start sinking more, to a point my feet are 4-6 inches deep in the sand, so that's obviously no good. Anyway, opinions? Best pattern to tackle the beach? Going out again this Friday, so want to make the best of it and at least et some sort of target in the wet sand. Thanks.

Attachments

• Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 307
so now I can venture into the wet sand. Tried it the other day, and got zero targets in an hour. Moved to dry sand, got tons, the detector works great. So, maybe it's bad sand conditions, or user error.

Could be any number of reasons. Here on the east coast where I live the low tide area is way sanded in and there is nothing but only the most recent drop so an hour of finding nothing on even a crowded spot wouldn't surprise me...and the dry sand would be loaded with clad, foil, etc.

Just keep going to the beach and learning what the sand is doing. When it gets carved out you will be surprised at how many targets there are...

I always move like the green line in the picture. Usually there is a line of targets parallel to the water that has a higher concentration of targets, have to find that line before walking parallel to the water.

Sometimes a beach just gets pounded by a bunch of other guys, and you won't find targets no matter what you do. Since you found a lot in the dry sand, I am guessing that you just walked the wrong line. Next time, walk like in the green line, walk kind of fast and swing kind of fast, I'm sure you will find targets. If you start hitting targets and they are all in a line, walk that line. Make sure you are keeping the coil low to the ground for your whole sweep, and not golf clubbing it.

Ok, here's the scoop (no pun intended...;) ). I just moved from the F2 to the Sovereign XS-2A for the beach, so now I can venture into the wet sand. Tried it the other day, and got zero targets in an hour. Moved to dry sand, got tons, the detector works great. So, maybe it's bad sand conditions, or user error. Below is my setup. The red is similar to how I worked it. I went as close to the water at a 0 low tide, to the hardest packed wet sand I could find, and went in a straight line. The yellow is the towel line. The green, that is the slope down to the water, a pretty decent one here.

So, do I go straight like I did (red), and just hope for better sand conditions? Or, do I go up and down the slope in a pattern similar to the green lines? I do notice as I get further up the slope, I start sinking more, to a point my feet are 4-6 inches deep in the sand, so that's obviously no good. Anyway, opinions? Best pattern to tackle the beach? Going out again this Friday, so want to make the best of it and at least et some sort of target in the wet sand. Thanks.

I like to do an S shaped very wide grid search like the green line until I hear targets and then stay in that line. If it's mushy that's bad yes usually. I like to hit in front of run outs so if that is how my beach looked today I'd have been mostly where the blue lines are.

For wet sand hunting the targets tend to line up if they've been there awhile so you can be one foot off (Too high or too low) and miss an entire row of targets and think there's nothing at that spot.

Fresh drops though can be anywhere.

Attachments

• where.jpg
    where.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 289
I like to do an S shaped very wide grid search like the green line until I hear targets and then stay in that line. If it's mushy that's bad yes usually. I like to hit in front of run outs so if that is how my beach looked today I'd have been mostly where the blue lines are.

For wet sand hunting the targets tend to line up if they've been there awhile so you can be one foot off (Too high or too low) and miss an entire row of targets and think there's nothing at that spot.

I Agree 100% with everything Kapidr said :yes:

What Crumble and Kapidr said. I would also like to add that once I find a level that shows some type of heavier objects in an area I will stay working that level until it gets quiet. that to me indicates some type of change and then I go back to a wider pattern until I find the new working level again.

I always move like the green line in the picture. Usually there is a line of targets parallel to the water that has a higher concentration of targets, have to find that line before walking parallel to the water.

Sometimes a beach just gets pounded by a bunch of other guys, and you won't find targets no matter what you do. Since you found a lot in the dry sand, I am guessing that you just walked the wrong line. Next time, walk like in the green line, walk kind of fast and swing kind of fast, I'm sure you will find targets. If you start hitting targets and they are all in a line, walk that line. Make sure you are keeping the coil low to the ground for your whole sweep, and not golf clubbing it.

What Crumble and Kapidr said. I would also like to add that once I find a level that shows some type of heavier objects in an area I will stay working that level until it gets quiet. that to me indicates some type of change and then I go back to a wider pattern until I find the new working level again.

It's hard to argue with success, and those three are successful. I hunt very much like they do and a "grid" (the blue "S" pattern) works best for me. I do hunt straight lines if I am going from the truck to the area I want to hunt, because, if I'm on the beach I'm swinging that coil.

Like I told you in another thread, I run my Sovereign Elite wide open, full volume, barely audible threshold, max sensitivity not auto, NO disc and NO notch, variable and all metal to hunt, when I get a target I switch to "DISC" from "ALL METAL" to check out the target. I listen for faint changes in the threshold to indicate the deepest targets and really check these spots well, maybe even removing two or three scoops of sand, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but I don't leave any good targets that way...

Like I told you in another thread, I run my Sovereign Elite wide open, full volume, barely audible threshold, max sensitivity not auto, NO disc and NO notch, variable and all metal to hunt, when I get a target I switch to "DISC" from "ALL METAL" to check out the target. I listen for faint changes in the threshold to indicate the deepest targets and really check these spots well, maybe even removing two or three scoops of sand, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but I don't leave any good targets that way...

Thanks, that's what I was doing. Both disc and notch all the way down, threshold barely audible, volume up high. Also used the headphones for the first time, something I never did with the F2. Tried both All metal and Disc. I am guessing it was technique.

Thanks to the others. Kapidr, I will try that pattern tomorrow. I actually have a line on a lady's lost platinum/diamond ring that I will put a little effort into finding for her tomorrow, so at least I have a starting place. Hopefully I will come across a target or 2...... ;)

That Sovereign has the Dixie mod, you should set threshold barely audible in all metal and then switch to disc so the threshold goes silent. It's slightly deeper that way. With the Dixie mod it can act weird if you try to hunt with a threshold.

That Sovereign has the Dixie mod, you should set threshold barely audible in all metal and then switch to disc so the threshold goes silent. It's slightly deeper that way. With the Dixie mod it can act weird if you try to hunt with a threshold.

Ok, thanks. Will do! Just sent you a text, BTW, since you're up anyway...... ;)

Since you are between hunts right now set yoursef up in a quiet spot, turn the machine on, set up a steady low threshold and rest it on a table or something. With the headphones on wave a coin close to the coil and slowly further and further away until you just notice it "a disturbance in the force" type signals. Get used to THOSE signals...
I know this seems silly, but it gets you used to hearing things that almost are not there, that way when you hear them in the filed you recognize them as a signal and not as static or something...
GL!

Since you are between hunts right now set yoursef up in a quiet spot, turn the machine on, set up a steady low threshold and rest it on a table or something. With the headphones on wave a coin close to the coil and slowly further and further away until you just notice it "a disturbance in the force" type signals. Get used to THOSE signals...
I know this seems silly, but it gets you used to hearing things that almost are not there, that way when you hear them in the filed you recognize them as a signal and not as static or something...
GL!

I'm a Star Wars fan, not silly at all...... ;)

Thanks......

All great advice BUT different times/conditions dictate different strategies. If it were so easy everyone would be killing it!

Right now on this side of town it's the Law of Percentages and pure luck.... Several months ago I was finding 2 gold rings a week sometimes 3. Right now I'm lucky to get 3.00 in change... Don't get so hung up on the parallels of the surf but instead look for low spots, dark colored water that is turbulent. Get in it! If the sand is fluffy and or like soft oatmeal, split! Don't waste your time. Ideally you want hard, low level sand and rocks. If you don't have that then look at the slopes. Look at the recent high/low tides. Were they drastic? If so, get out in the water. If you hunt where everyone else hunts then you're no better than the rest of em in way of odds. I try to hunt in more challenging spots and areas that others don't wanna get into because they might get wet or it looks to hard.... Those tends to be the honey holes. And when you find one, keep your mouth shut, don't post video's of it on Youtube and work the snot out of it until conditions completely dry it up. THEN feel free to post your video's, etc...

All great advice BUT different times/conditions dictate different strategies. If it were so easy everyone would be killing it!

Right now on this side of town it's the Law of Percentages and pure luck.... Several months ago I was finding 2 gold rings a week sometimes 3. Right now I'm lucky to get 3.00 in change... Don't get so hung up on the parallels of the surf but instead look for low spots, dark colored water that is turbulent. Get in it! If the sand is fluffy and or like soft oatmeal, split! Don't waste your time. Ideally you want hard, low level sand and rocks. If you don't have that then look at the slopes. Look at the recent high/low tides. Were they drastic? If so, get out in the water. If you hunt where everyone else hunts then you're no better than the rest of em in way of odds. I try to hunt in more challenging spots and areas that others don't wanna get into because they might get wet or it looks to hard.... Those tends to be the honey holes. And when you find one, keep your mouth shut, don't post video's of it on Youtube and work the snot out of it until conditions completely dry it up. THEN feel free to post your video's, etc...

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

Wow what an awesome post for begginers thanks everyone for sharing! I just learned more in 5 mins than I did in three hours by myself in the water :laughing:

Man, reading this pumps my blood and turns my nose sensor on for gold :laughing: Great info in here. I will definitely be using it for my trip to the beach in a month.

It's hard to argue with success, and those three are successful. I hunt very much like they do and a "grid" (the blue "S" pattern) works best for me. I do hunt straight lines if I am going from the truck to the area I want to hunt, because, if I'm on the beach I'm swinging that coil.

GL!

EXACTLY what I was trying to get at... much better stated "Z"!

When I first started wet sand hunting I would notice this guy who would just be going along in a straight line and a pretty good pace and then he would all of a sudden stop and start working the area real slowly and throughly. Asked him about it and he said when he got a hit of any kind (a whisper), he slows way down and works that area until he hears nothing else. I would always just grid an area as I went. He covered allot more beach using his method.

It all depends on the beach and the conditions at the time on that beach! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom