Excal, all metal, pin point.

Canerat

Elite Member
When I hunt in all mettal and locate a target 8 times out of ten I will know if it's a good target, as in a coin, aluminium, gold, silver, lead, copper or brass. Before I switch to discriminate. Some times I'll know for sure exactly what it is in all metal, especially lead, as soon as I hit it in all metal I know it's lead. I'm not always right so will always switch to discriminate just to make sure. But I'm too accurate for it to be a coincidence, that I can constantly guess what I'm digging in all metal. Never heard this topic being discussed. Anyone else using an Excal2 that feels the same way I do?

Im using a blue.... i can tell MOST Iron. Everything else I guess I dont try. BUT...i do know some of those really deep targets that sometime I cant even get when switched to disc..... can be about anything.

Having started my water detecting career with a PI years ago, I had no problem taking other Excal users advice to hunting with the Excal in PP right from the get-go. Can't say I'm any good at calling a target before digging it with the Excal, but I have said more than once , that sounds like a gold ring and moments later there one was in the scoop!
DL

One secret to this type of hunting is knowing the target history of a beach, I got to be fairly good at calling the targets at the ocean for I hunted it for several years, but once I switch to the Bay it was a hole new ball game. All I can tell now from a target in PP is the size, depth, shape. Just to many different targets in my new hunting grounds to predict. And I've been hunting it for 3 years now. I do think to be a great hunter one needs learn to use both PP and discriminate to be there best.

Bottle caps are easy with a BBS. Lead usually has that blast and deep. But cheap bling and fishing lures, cell phones, parts of boats, folded aluminum can ring in anywhere. Heck half the fun is not knowing.

Does it really matter what is down there? I dig everything... except a ferrous target.. I don't want to leave anything for the next guy, plus removing most metal finds can lead to finding deeper targets that are masked by the shallower stuff.

I know guys who bypass can tops and such... they don't get it... they can be masking deeper gold targets..

Does it really matter what is down there? I dig everything... except a ferrous target.. I don't want to leave anything for the next guy, plus removing most metal finds can lead to finding deeper targets that are masked by the shallower stuff.

I know guys who bypass can tops and such... they don't get it... they can be masking deeper gold targets..

Like I said I'm not always right, anything that give me a good repeating signal I dig, and will also dig large pieces of iron that are in strategic spots.
But not every day is the same, some days the beach is full of targets and I have limited time, so instead of wasting time digging a known junk object, I'll move on. So yes to me it does matter knowing what's down there.

When I hunt in all mettal and locate a target 8 times out of ten I will know if it's a good target, as in a coin, aluminium, gold, silver, lead, copper or brass. Before I switch to discriminate. Some times I'll know for sure exactly what it is in all metal, especially lead, as soon as I hit it in all metal I know it's lead. I'm not always right so will always switch to discriminate just to make sure. But I'm too accurate for it to be a coincidence, that I can constantly guess what I'm digging in all metal. Never heard this topic being discussed. Anyone else using an Excal2 that feels the same way I do?

I haven't read the other replies yet but I'm gonna guess that you have dug thousands of targets with this specific machine. Plus you have probably dug very few targets with any other machine, at least over the past few years.

I haven't read the other replies yet but I'm gonna guess that you have dug thousands of targets with this specific machine. Plus you have probably dug very few targets with any other machine, at least over the past few years.

I've 2 excaliburs and haven't used the one for about 2 years, so yes have been digging exclusively with this machine for 2 years, just my penny count with this machine is over 5000, so yeah I've dug plenty thousands of targets with this machine, I use this machine at least 5 times a week and each hunt is at least 3 hours. So yes you guess is right.

I hunt most of the times in all metal. Some times I am fairly certain that it is a coin before i shift to disc to verify.

But even after three years i can not always tell by the tones what i am about to dig. It seems to me that the tones change a bit with deeper targets.

Of course my profound hearing loss might not be helping. Even with hearing aids there is a lot of tones that I can not hear.

so i do did a lot of trash but on the rare occasion something Real Nice comes out of the sand.

...dig it all if you can. If your digging up deep coins or sinkers your in the right spot...

When I dig stinkers I start shaking from the adrenalin. Fishing was banned on my beach 15 years ago. Numerous crusty coins and older coins also get me amped up. I dig it all even large pieces of iron, the cleaner my beach is the better, the last gold chain I dug, sounded like a fishing sinker. In certain arias of the beach that are less productive I'm sloppy and don't dig it all and when I'm tired I get sloppy. But otherwise I'm happy just to get rid of junk targets.

I hunt most of the times in all metal. Some times I am fairly certain that it is a coin before i shift to disc to verify.

But even after three years i can not always tell by the tones what i am about to dig. It seems to me that the tones change a bit with deeper targets.

Of course my profound hearing loss might not be helping. Even with hearing aids there is a lot of tones that I can not hear.

so i do did a lot of trash but on the rare occasion something Real Nice comes out of the sand.

I agree deep targets are a different story, and very difficult to work out what it is. Also the orientation of shallow targets changes the tone.

I've 2 excaliburs and haven't used the one for about 2 years, so yes have been digging exclusively with this machine for 2 years, just my penny count with this machine is over 5000, so yeah I've dug plenty thousands of targets with this machine, I use this machine at least 5 times a week and each hunt is at least 3 hours. So yes you guess is right.

Confirms what all the other experts say.
That means, I need to dig a lot of targets with this CZ-21. :-)

Lazy bums probably cant hold a job down either:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom