• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is your door knocking success rate?

Usually depends on the area for more...in a rich neighborhood with snobby individuals, usually 60% I should say. I've had great neighborhoods with 100% success rates though. On average, 70-80%.

door knocking success

It depends on what door I knock on. If I knock on a Mennonites door it's around 95%. To be honest sometimes they just say you can detect my yard if you want to. None Mennonites my success rate would be around 80% if it's a farmers field. If it's a yard 50%

I have only tried once.. the owner was a fellow MDer, and it was a no...

Getting tired of busting my hump for 1 silver for every 10 park hunts, so I will have to try a few more again soon, before the dig wars show comes out for sure...

<*)))>{

I think I get a one out of 4. ALL mine are are asking if I can just get access to the lake anyway, not play on their property. As long as I get access somewhere around one lake, I do not ask anybody else.

Made my FIRST permission call today.

I know the person enough to say hi but not BFF by any means...been putting off calling him for....ohhhh....sayyyy...a year now due to being scared to death to do so. Called today and he was like "sure, come on by, I'll be here...no problem at all".

:clapping:

I'm about to go door knocking for the first time. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I have a couple of good looking lots that should hold something that I keep looking at. Maybe it will work out. I'm tired of hunting trashy parks.

about 50/50......
I have gone to complete strangers.... yeses and nos
Old friends of past yeses and no :mad:
The last one he said my insurance co
said I shouldn't..... a tree could fall on you.......( Really ??)
I thought of all the kids when I grew up in that neighborhood close to
20 kids playing along the creek, building forts, tree houses, climbing cliffs playing cowboys and Indians Etc.
I couldn't recall any one ever getting hurt....:mad:

I really think this home owner was afraid that I would find something of value.

Hunted several yards this year and haven't gotten a no yet. The biggest problem is finding someone home.

Thread from the dead...

My answer to this is way different now..

Success rate on permission here is about one yes for 6 no..

Cold calling permission is not in my wheelhouse.. I'd rather I knew them, and possibly more important, they know me..

<°)))>{

100% baby! (Stats can be deceiving) I've only done it once and that was today! I live in a small town and found out where our train depot used to be. Got permission from the older gentleman to detect on his property that either had the depot or butted right up against it. He just asked to see what I Find. I told him he has first dibs on anything I get but he insisted I keep it as he has no use for any of it. Very fun experience and hope it turns out to be a successful hunt!

100% baby! (Stats can be deceiving) I've only done it once and that was today! I live in a small town and found out where our train depot used to be. Got permission from the older gentleman to detect on his property that either had the depot or butted right up against it. He just asked to see what I Find. I told him he has first dibs on anything I get but he insisted I keep it as he has no use for any of it. Very fun experience and hope it turns out to be a successful hunt!
Oh that just might be a great spot! The depot area I hunted was right next to a ball field. I dug over a dozen silvers including a seated quarter, half dozen IH's, tokens, etc, and this was a 'public' spot.

Absolutely no results to report, or comments regarding "cold" door knocking because I simply don't do it.
I do continually look for prospective sites for future searches regardless of whatever I'm doing, or wherever I go.
Nearly all the time there will eventually be someone outside doing yard work or something and I stop, give them my card, and ask permission to search their property.
I have a success rate of about 75% on these but don't push if I get a "no" answer.
People have reasons for not wanting you on their property, a buried pet or treasured plants, for example, and I would rather just move on to another property and leave their "no" as a future "maybe".

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiscars Diggers

So far about 80% permissions.

I pick my "targets" very carefully looking for a good reason for wanting to hunt it ( location, local history, etc). I knock on the door and then step away from the door so I'm not crowding them when they step out. I hand them my business card and introduce myself, shake their hand, make eye contact and speak confidently. I'm cheerful and friendly and always thank them.

When I have a permission I go to the neighbors and likewise introduce myself, give a card, explain, etc. Often this leads to new permissions.

I'm on a couple of local community websites. I often post there offering my services free. Not only do I get people calling me but I also got two local magazine articles written about me that have led to inquiries.

Join local historical groups and community clubs. Pass out cards and network.

I've started going to real estate agents in older historical areas and introduce myself. Tell them their listings can call me before they sell to see if I can find any objects they lost. One woman almost cried when I gave her an old rusted pocketknife because it was her father's..

Suggestion: if I see an empty lot or field I'm interested in, I will walk across it once or twice with a detector to get a feel for it. Seeking owners can be time consuming and it's horrible to spend all that effort and then learn it was the town dump. LOL.

There are a lot of ways to generate permissions if you think outside the box

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 369
Back
Top Bottom