Salt Water Beaches-Best Detector??

jojo765

Hi All,
I am a newbie to the forum, and relatively new to metal detecting. I am interested in purchasing a new detector for use on saltwater beaches in N FL. I am considering the Whites Beach Hunter ID or the Whites Surf-Master PI Pro so that I can detect wet sand & shallow surf. Presently I have a Minelab Xterra-50, which is great in dry sand, but does not do well at all on wet sand or in shallow water.

Any advice, opinions, or experiences regarding one Whites model vs the other for saltwater beaches would be appreciated. Also if anyone has a suggestion for any other saltwater beach detectors made by other companies I would appreciate hearing about those as well.
Thanks much :)

Welcome :yes:
Salt water beaches present a problem to metal detectors in general.
Pulse Induction units are best at seeing through these minerals. They however do not have discrimination. It boils down to what you want to spend and are you going to use this detector for only beach/water hunting. If only beach/water hunting then the PI would be the better choice dollar for dollar. The Minelab Excalibur in my opinion is still the better overall detector as it can be used on land as well as beach/water conditions with VLF operation and discrimination also. The price is up at the top end however. The BeachHunter ID is also a good choice and offers multi frequency operation as well as discrimination.
All in all it is a choice between top end money and a detector that "sees" through the salt conditions better but finds it all.
Hope this helps and if you need anythign else please let me know. :yes:

Thank you for the input, I appreciate your advice and find it helpful. I do plan to keep my Xterra for non-beach uses & for occasions when I strictly plan to hunt in dry sand, so this new one I plan to get will be strictly for beach/water use. Thanks again  :grin:

One more question...my local dealer also suggested the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. Any info/opinion on this make & model? Thanks again!!

Detector Pro Headhunter P.I. might suit you. Audio I.D. of iron is better than with the Whites Pulse though pinpointing isn't as good. Mk 2 version doesn't seem improved over the earlier machines apart from the slight redesign of the headphones so they don't flip over and possibly damage the wires.
The Excalibers discrimination saves a lot of digging but its a heavy machine and you will face the question of which coil size to go for as they are hard wired in.

Thank you (both) for the advice, I will check out the Detector Pro PI as well. We plan to go to our local dealer Saturday and look at the models, as I have been doing research all week.
I think my husband is going to get himself an Excalibur (he presently has an Explorer II & really likes it, it performs well for him on wet sand but he does not take it in the surf or tide pools etc.)  The Excal being heavy would be a problem for me, but not for him.
Again, I appreciate the advice and feedback from everyone. Happy Treasure Hunting this weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom