Old silver from the river

Toasted

Elite Member
Found the sweet little 1892 Barber dime in only a few inches of water along some rocky shoreline this evening. Only my second ever successful water hunt and I must say there is something more gratifying about finding silver coins in the water. Fortunately, my local river is not really salty so the coins usually come out in decent shape and the gray patina of water silvers is starting to grow on me

Attachments

• BB4E3D73-03C8-4F0B-99A8-5DE1C6C8D8EC.jpg
    BB4E3D73-03C8-4F0B-99A8-5DE1C6C8D8EC.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 266
Nice coin. The more acid in the water the crustier the silver will be. Water with lots of leaves or vegitation will have more acid in it. Great find. But

That puppy looks beautiful... not "Toasted" :D. Nice save!

R5

I have ever only found one Barber and it was in a dirt hunt at my wife's old school on Miami Beach. Special coin right there!

I have ever only found one Barber and it was in a dirt hunt at my wife's old school on Miami Beach. Special coin right there!

Thanks. Ive found lots of 19th century and older coins in the dirt and all four of my water silvers are that old too. Guess I live in a good area but I do envy all the gold that comes from you beach hunters

That's a beauty! Has to be some more goodies there! I've been to a few spots over there, one was a old beach near Cambridge. Got some indians, no silver or gold but it was badly sanded in...

That's a beauty! Has to be some more goodies there! I've been to a few spots over there, one was a old beach near Cambridge. Got some indians, no silver or gold but it was badly sanded in...

Thanks. Lots of shoreline along the river is sanded in or overgrown with the invasive Phragmites plant but the two spots I have hunted with rock or oyster shell bottom have produced silver

Any mint mark? The S is a key date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom